SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
If those white buildings are Altus style reconstituted stone cladding this should be good, white metal cladding and it's a no. The terracotta building with the ground floor arches looks excellent.

The bridge landing on the other hand is dreadful. We desperately need a new, wide attractive pedestrian and cycle bridge spanning the IRR diagonally here extending St Pauls Street not tacking some steps and a lift on the end of the existing one.

This is a big opportunity to repair the urban fabric of this part of the city and should be a planning condition for any development here.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It’s not the white I have an objection to but the materials, I just really dislike aluminium/plastic panel clad buildings. Frankly they just look cheap and after the last building boom in the 00s I hope we’ve moved on from this.

I’m hoping we get reconstituted stone similar to Altus however I also wouldn't be against white glazed cladding similar to the yellow Vita building.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Oliver Wainwright is responsible, I blame him, lol. There was an article in the Guardian months ago and he said that Leeds buildings look like discarded fridges, obviously having dig at our new comers, especially Altus!
He had a point when we had the plastic fantastic Opel and Sky Plaza dominating the skyline, that's quickly changing fortunately.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The only issue seems to be the IRR bridge which is also my position, apart from that it's a quality proposal. If I were the council I'd secure a contribution for a decent replacement bridge in return for speeding this through planning for an autumn start.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It looks as if there could be amendments to how the bridge interacts with the site, to improve the flow of cyclists coming over the IRR. However, comments about problems with the bridge basically say "that's LCC responsibility." I hope something so trivial doesn't roll on for months.
Good to hear, just tacking some new steps and a lift on the end of the existing narrow, poorly aligned bridge just isn't good enough.

As for it being LCC's responsibility I would agree, they should put funding for a new bridge as a condition for permission.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree keep the tone white. This change makes it look out of place. Totally uneccessary and more ugly than previously
Everyone will have a different opinion but looking at the two images the darker cladding does integrate better with other buildings when viewed from Park Square. All white is a bit too stark. I also feel the 2 tone cladding allows the building to be read better as two distinct parts.

A tweak I’d make would be to have a more distinct roof line on the top section, maybe arched somehow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts