SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I had a peek on their website and could see they've done quite a lot. Headingley Emerald Stadium, Leeds Arts University, Newlyn Building and Esther Simpson Building at Leeds University, The Foundry, the replacement for Kitson College on Woodhouse Lane, 2 Sovereign Square, Central Square, St Cecilia Place (Quarry Hill), Roberts Wharf, St Paul's House and 12 Kings Street.
Sounds like quite a good list - lets hope they deliver something worthy.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Good heavens, this is wonderful.
Think I actually agree. It is much better in almost every way to what I was expecting and to what others have offered. The 3 white towers are exactly what is needed for the area and would be the major boost for the area.
The student tower is a mini Altus and nothing like White Rose View or a fridge IMO.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I never got the 'fridge' comments other than a dig at tall buildings in general. But considering every major city on the planet has tall buildings, I don't get that either.
Well said Rob. I was close to having a rant about this but lifes too short. I agree with you completely though other than being white none of these buildings have any relation to fridges at all in any way. Also why are white buildings in Leeds fridges but not any in other cities? Its utter nonsense.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
It appears to be the smaller tower is proposed to be a deeper colour shade, with the taller tower remaining the light shade. The report says it is in response to the comments that it could look like one big single block from some angles from Park Square, so the two shades separates the two towers.

It also says the deeper colour is nearer the conservation area, and the more contemporary paler colour is further out on the west side of the plot.
Thanks for clearing that up. The basic idea though still puzzles me. Changing the colour of one of the buildings does not change the bulk that can be observed - it sounds like total marketing bullcrap to me.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I don't agree with the complaints about the bulk/height of this. If you're sat in Park Row you're looking at the planting, trees and the buildings directly around you. You wouldn't sit there complaining that you can see a tall building in the distance (the render even shows Altus already there in the background, soon to be joined by Arena Point).

We can't sterilise an entire buffer zone around Park Square or other heritage assets from tall buildings right in the city centre - some of the most striking views in London come from that dichotomy of old meets new - views of the Bank of England with the tall buildings right behind it for example. Everyone's favourite flogged dead horse Lumiere would have been much more prominent in views from here but it seems to get a free pass.
Completely agree. This is the same old heritage sightline argument that plagues London.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Agree with you Val Verde. I know some people have said it spoils the view from and in Park Square, but you can't protect views in a city centre really. Also the old complements the new, The tall compliments the not so tall. The variation is very attractive and striking. imo.
Completely agree with this I cant understand the ruining the view arguement either - especially in this case where about 0.1% of Leeds residents ever visit the area and a fair proportion of them would not care either. So whose view is being ruined?

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Another point to try and quell the fears about the quality of this scheme:

View attachment 2126649

The DAS says that the main facing materials will be satin finished (shiny like St Albans') with matt plinth materials. There is detailing, variation, depth here - I don't see what's not to like? aside from the actual material being used, i'd say these elevations are as good if not better than Altus which we all praise for those smaller details.
Got to agree. Not only do the details look good but so does the massing. Not sure about the change of colour of one of the buildings but we will have to see how that goes.
Some posters just dislike every proposal and worse than that they use the Trump tactic of stating their opinion as fact. They seem to believe that if they repeat their opinion over and over again it somehow makes it true.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Very disappointedly the scheme phasing has now been split in to four. The original plan was for the two btr buildings, student accommodation and aparthotel to be built in the first phase with the office second. Now the student building is first (what a surprise!), btr second, aparthotel third and office fourth. I think this illustrates how dire construction inflation is in making weaker parts of the scheme unviable. Perhaps it isn't so bad as the awful btr part may never be built out!

View attachment 3014798
Whats so awful about the BTR bits? I thought they were generally well received.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Dont agree with the naysayers. The renders look good. The complaint about the curtain wall glazing seems a little odd too in that this is used on a majority of buildings like these all over the country. If they use poor materials they can look poor but the reverse is also true. Nothing wrong with White Rose view either.
Looking at the pic above is there really much difference in the glazing in general.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I actually think this look is better than a 100% glass elevation. It's only down to about 95% glass.
The elegant slender cladding grid break the elevation up, so you don't just see a huge glass wall. It also means you can get a lot more colour variation in your buildings by changing the cladding colours. With pure glass it's just a variation in jade.
With WRH the horizontals are much too fat to achieve this look, also the chocolate window frames here go a lot better with the cladding, than the dark grey of WRH
I agree about the glass elevation but disagree about White Rose which always looks great to me.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Here ya go love

Also that image is deceptive, makes it look like the scheme is more glass and not those horrible panels.

Plus the scheme is mostly seen from the thinnest angle which looks garbage on the skyline.
You know the more pics I see of this the better I like it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts