SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I bet the tour would be quite interesting - in it's heyday it had many more facilities than those currently available including turkish bath, steam rooms, jewish baptism pool, restaurant etc - all hidden from view now

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
That was my thought at the time - why not let the developer have the land for free, but in return the council gets the ground floor of the tower, including 50m pool....

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Where've you been Gallery? Good pics thanks.

Can't agree with leaving it up though - it's either going to deteriorate, or cost money to maintain.

By the way was in Cardiff, and their new pool puts ours to shame in design terms...

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
It was actually a really interesting building inside - under the pool is actually totally hollow (so filling it in wont work). I wouldn't want it as any sort of convention centre - imagine the impression people would get of the city!

When it opened in it's heyday it had all kinds of facilities that had been shut down by the end. It was a really ambitious project compared to the international swimming warehouse we now have at South Leeds (though the new pool itself is a fantastic facility).

I think if Carnegie are to further pursue their sports status in line with Loughborough, they are going to need a 50m pool (which would probably be North Leeds). Has anyone seen the state of the Carnegie pool at the moment (compared to Loughborough 50m)...

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Has anyone seen the pool at the john charles centre for sport at south leeds stadium, that is amazing, facilities are first class and it's by far the best pool in leeds.
True - the pool itself is great, however the building and it's facilities, whilst modern, are rather run of the mill and unabmitious...

Ponds Forge & Manc Acquatics were built as international venues - this is much more a national venue. Shame.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
That last pic shows the huge hollow that existed underneath the pool... Lots of closed off rooms were down there that the public hadn't seen for years...

You may remember there was an enclosed walkway round the outside of the building at first floor level - I wonder if this was intended to connect to the infamous Skywalk?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
You'll find most skyscrapers world wide aren't that beautiful... There are few exceptions... The beauty comes when they form clusters. The problem comes when they are built standing alone, like a sore thumb.

For me Opal has been vastly improved (from awful to quite bad) simply by having tall neighbours. You view it as a part of the cluster, rather than examine it as one building.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts