SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
B*tch
15,200 Posts
If we're waiting for every development in Leeds to be 'iconic' then quite frankly these plots of land are going to remain undeveloped for years and years. No developer is going to build anything like Criterion Place in Leeds in the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I'd be a happy man if I never saw or heard the word 'iconic' again. Utterly meaningless word.

·
B*tch
15,200 Posts
Completely agree. This is the same old heritage sightline argument that plagues London.
It's a bit silly from a Leeds perspective because we're not York or Oxford - we don't have a historical skyline to preserve or protect. As mentioned you can already see Altus House from Park Square.

I'd expect 70 year old grannies on Facebook to kick up a fuss about this sort of thing tbh.

·
B*tch
15,200 Posts
Looks like a rather nondescript, inoffensive building to me. Maybe not good enough for a ‘gateway scheme’ but otherwise I don’t see the problem with it.

This scheme would have been celebrated 5 years ago as a major improvement over the horrors of Opal and Sky Plaza, but I suspect recent developments in Holbeck have elevated expectations significantly - perhaps unrealistically so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts