SkyscraperCity Forum banner
201 - 220 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Some movement at least, especially if we get 33 storeys (although to be honest, I would say you could go taller on this site if desired). I do have some reservations about the layout and open space though.

Those spaces that are close to the curved IRR will surely be dead - mostly in the shade from the buildings and facing the very busy motorway. Would it not be better to bring the buildings, even if just a podium, up to the curve and instead maximise the central green area?
Agree, stick the talls right up against the IRR rather than setting them back. Sheikh Zayed Road road in Dubai (granted a lot taller) does this really well with such a busy road cutting through a city.

·
7,355 Posts
Would they also be set back to help reduce road traffic noise within the residential units? These applications do need a noise modelling assessment as part of the proposal.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Having been involved in an unsuccesful bid for this site previously, LCC wanted a clear public footpath (not necessarily cycle) connecting with the bridge across the IRR to tie in with a potential replacement for the bridge or at least much improved landing points. As such there is probably a buffer zone against the road in part to facilitate this - the building layout looks to try and send pedestrians around either side of the site rather than through it straight up to the bridge.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
The hotel building looks very good. The other buildings are far too white, the bronze accents need to be more dominant. The form of the BTR blocks is also good, The student building looks far too blocky and reminds me of White Rose View (which isn't good!). The office of course is just indicative,

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Looks like a full planning application will quickly follow the pre-app if the images above are anything to go by, wonder if we will see many changes after they get feedback.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If those white buildings are Altus style reconstituted stone cladding this should be good, white metal cladding and it's a no. The terracotta building with the ground floor arches looks excellent.

The bridge landing on the other hand is dreadful. We desperately need a new, wide attractive pedestrian and cycle bridge spanning the IRR diagonally here extending St Pauls Street not tacking some steps and a lift on the end of the existing one.

This is a big opportunity to repair the urban fabric of this part of the city and should be a planning condition for any development here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some of the buildings look good, but where has this sudden obsession for white towers come from? Oliver Wainwright was right; lacklustre, monotonous, and uninteresting. Not a great look for Leeds.

I guess it's subjective because i really like the look of them and the other white buildings we've had in Leeds.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
yeah i like it too, nice to see some ambition.This area will be totally transformed and who knows it might mean that the crazy looking icon block on the bridge house corner site might one day come to fruition along with the 17 storey brick block proposed on cropper gate/wellington street.:)

201 - 220 of 472 Posts