SkyscraperCity Forum banner
221 - 240 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
31,299 Posts
I definitely prefer the off-white of Altus than the bright white of White Rose View.

I can't quite tell if the ends of those buildings are curved or angled - maybe a bit of both. Curves can be a bit scary for value engineering if you end up with lots of jagged edges and panels rather than a true smooth curve.

I'm reminded of the original visualisations of Bridgewater Place's curved frontage vs what we got with the panels.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Good heavens, this is wonderful.
Think I actually agree. It is much better in almost every way to what I was expecting and to what others have offered. The 3 white towers are exactly what is needed for the area and would be the major boost for the area.
The student tower is a mini Altus and nothing like White Rose View or a fridge IMO.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Think I actually agree. It is much better in almost every way to what I was expecting and to what others have offered. The 3 white towers are exactly what is needed for the area and would be the major boost for the area.
The student tower is a mini Altus and nothing like White Rose View or a fridge IMO.
I think I'm swaying towards this as well. The aerial view renders are really poor quality and don't do the towers any favours, whereas all three look fantastic on the below render:

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
On the whole, this is great. Nice mix. The mix indicates ambition and a positive outlook for the city. I'd agree that the student block isn't as sleek as the other two white blocks (on the render), but it does provide a slight variation which links the shape of the brick buildings to the resi towers. The quality will obviously be in the materials and the detail, but we'll see how that evolves as the application proceeds. Always time to make a dog's dinner of it, but I'm hopeful given the track record and the current wave of developments across the city.

I don't have the same objections to the current trend for white buildings as many seem to, as long as the quality is right. The last few years have a seen a trend toward 'retaining our heritage' through brick (cladding). While some of those buildings are gorgeous, I've had a fear that we may end up with a homogenous landscape for much of the city, so clusters of white will add a counterpoint to that. Clusters of glass would add an even more pleasing contrast. Coming soon...

·
Registered
886 Posts
It’s not the white I have an objection to but the materials, I just really dislike aluminium/plastic panel clad buildings. Frankly they just look cheap and after the last building boom in the 00s I hope we’ve moved on from this.

I’m hoping we get reconstituted stone similar to Altus however I also wouldn't be against white glazed cladding similar to the yellow Vita building.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the proposed development is ok but very far from being the 'iconic' design several alternative proposals promised. I worry that some of these developments appear acceptable in then renders but then look cookie cutter once they are built.
My main concern is with the public space, most of which seems to be shrouded in darkness.

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,479 Posts
I'm wondering if the student element of this project fits in? Surely remove the student lets and replace it with another BTR building? Given the scheme encompasses office, residential and a hotel who wants rowdy students going back to the flat making lots of noise at 2 am after a piss up at Dry Dock?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm wondering if the student element of this project fits in? Surely remove the student lets and replace it with another BTR building? Given the scheme encompasses office, residential and a hotel who wants rowdy students going back to the flat making lots of noise at 2 am after a piss up at Dry Dock?
Don't know if you've lived in the city centre but apartments are just as rowdy as the student digs! You'd also probably get a lot of people coming back to the hotel building after a night out. It all gives a bit of character at the end of the day.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Nice proposal and hope it gets built soon although I agree a new footbridge would certainly be nice. Also the Leeds International Pool site has certainly been in a state of blight for a long-time and hope this development encourages developments at surrounding sites to go ahead sometime soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don’t comment often, obviously it will look good driving from the ring road but I hate the designs. They’re awful. The night picture looks good but most tall buildings do with lights on by default. I guess fridge city is all we will ever be able to strive for. I’d rather have the international pool back in its place. Or even bare ground car park currently. Architecture clearly doesn’t exist anymore in Leeds. Not even a decent facade to mask the poor design inside the buildings. The proposal looks like a basic hotel you’d stay in on a holiday in Spain or any kind of beach resort. Manchester is really laughing at us I’m sure. Or even just unaware or bothered bout what Leeds is doing construction wise

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don’t comment often, obviously it will look good driving from the ring road but I hate the designs. They’re awful. The night picture looks good but most tall buildings do with lights on by default. I guess fridge city is all we will ever be able to strive for. I’d rather have the international pool back in its place. Or even bare ground car park currently. Architecture clearly doesn’t exist anymore in Leeds. Not even a decent facade to mask the poor design inside the buildings. The proposal looks like a basic hotel you’d stay in on a holiday in Spain or any kind of beach resort. Manchester is really laughing at us I’m sure. Or even just unaware or bothered bout what Leeds is doing construction wise
See I disagree with you on the white buildings, they look really similar to this current scheme in Manchester at Castle Wharf:

The hotel also has some really good detailing and reminds me of the Maldron Hotel, also Manchester:

Progress shot [07/02/21]

The panels to the street level still give me major reservations - I can't help but feel like they look like oversized Ryvita crackers. That being said, I do love the detailing of the vertical louvre style concertina shutters to the glazing.

221 - 240 of 468 Posts