SkyscraperCity Forum banner
261 - 280 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
The only issue seems to be the IRR bridge which is also my position, apart from that it's a quality proposal. If I were the council I'd secure a contribution for a decent replacement bridge in return for speeding this through planning for an autumn start.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes and no, there is an OK pedestrian cycle route just up the road which brings you onto Burley Road which is a better landing point than the bridge that brings you onto the Marlborough estate which is great if you want to go there but elsewhere the bridge nearer Brotherton house is probably better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If that’s the case why in past did we have such promising tall buildings in planning? With lumiere and criterion place? It was much smaller in size also. You can be creative in the design and shape of a building without huge costs. I’m not expecting the the shard. Just more creativity than a box with a slight octagonal shape either side. I’m not even wanting a full on glass building. Just more creativity
Standard Leeds mentality. Simultaneously having incredibly high expectations about what "should" be happening in the city, and then a kind of self-loathing when those unrealistic expectations aren't realised.

It's a snowball effect. The city needs to grow in size and profile, which includes a lot of "only okay" development, before it gets to the position where genuinely impressive developments can occur.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Iconic and landmark buildings totally meaningless in Leeds yes. I don’t think they know what the words mean to be honest. We’re gonna run out of good plots by the time we get to have an amazing visually appealing skyscraper. Do we really need them to be along kirkstall road? Broadcasting tower is the perfect example of creating something cool and different to the run of mill box. I mean even bridgewater place although hated by many is more creative than present offerings. I personally like it however cumbersome it may be seem
If we're waiting for every development in Leeds to be 'iconic' then quite frankly these plots of land are going to remain undeveloped for years and years. No developer is going to build anything like Criterion Place in Leeds in the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I'd be a happy man if I never saw or heard the word 'iconic' again. Utterly meaningless word.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If that’s the case why in past did we have such promising tall buildings in planning? With lumiere and criterion place? It was much smaller in size also. You can be creative in the design and shape of a building without huge costs. I’m not expecting the the shard. Just more creativity than a box with a slight octagonal shape either side. I’m not even wanting a full on glass building. Just more creativity
I think you need to get over something that was proposed 15 years ago and was never actually built. You could argue that Criterion Place was an extravagant folly that Leeds wasn't ready for, certainly not back then.

·
Mhmm?
3,738 Posts
It’s not a stretch to say that the failure of Lumiere and to a lesser extent Criterion led to the current scenario in which the YEP-reading classes have been angrily sceptical to the point of aneurism about any high-rise development ever since.

Subliving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lol. YEP is irrelevant. Don’t get me started on that site n current faux brick frump of a building
It’s not a stretch to say that the failure of Lumiere and to a lesser extent Criterion led to the current scenario in which the YEP-reading classes have been angrily sceptical to the point of aneurism about any high-rise development ever since.

Subliving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’m not hanging onto this past opportunities. I’m using them as examples. We were ready for lumiere. It got as far as piling as we all know
I think you need to get over something that was proposed 15 years ago and was never actually built. You could argue that Criterion Place was an extravagant folly that Leeds wasn't ready for, certainly not back then.

·
substance
345 Posts
JOINT VENTURE ‘ACQUIRES FORMER INTERNATIONAL POOL SITE’
10 Jun 2021 Yorkshire Property Stephen Farrell
Joint venture ‘acquires former International Pool site’

The former Leeds International Pool site, which is earmarked for a £270m redevelopment, is understood to have been acquired.
According to Property Week, Marrico Asset Management and Helios Real Estate have acquired the site, having been selected by Leeds City Council as the preferred developer last year.
Pre-application proposals were presented last month (May 2021), for the site, ahead of the submission of a full planning application, including two residential buildings of 33 and 22 storeys, providing up to 629 BTR apartments. Commercial units would be provided on the ground floor of each.
A 24-storey student accommodation building comprising 550 beds is also planned, together with a 15-storey aparthotel building that would provide 120 rooms and 34,500 sq ft of office space.
DLA Architecture has previously been appointed to design the new development.
The 2.8-acre strategic site on Lisbon Street has been used as a car park since the pools' demolition in 2009

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
here is the PW article.

Former swimming pool site in Leeds sold to joint venture
By Anviksha PatelThu 10 June 2021

Leeds City Council has sold a former swimming pool site to Marrico Asset Management and Helios Real Estate to redevelop into a £270m mixed-use scheme.

Lisbon Square

Lisbon Square

The masterplan for the 2.8-acre redevelopment – named Lisbon Square (pictured) – is set to deliver 500 student accommodation units, 400 build-to-rent apartments, a 300-bed aparthotel with shared workspace and 150,000 sq ft of office space.

The joint venture between Marrico and Helios submitted a planning application as Property Week went to press. If the scheme is given planning permission, construction is expected to start in the first quarter of next year.

The scheme will be delivered in two phases. The first will comprise everything except the office space, which will be brought forward as the second phase.

The 1960s International Pool swimming facility closed in 2007 and was demolished in 2009. The site is currently home to two surface car parks.

Helios real estate chairman Trevor Cartner told Property Week: “We knew we wanted it to be residential led. Once we decided that, we knew that BTR was the way to go. We also knew that there was a demand for student accommodation in Leeds, but of fairly high quality.

“Then to make it into a genuine mixed-use scheme, we wanted a hotel on site, which will have some co-working space and restaurant provision in the same tower. And then the final element will be office space.

“We’re in the legal process with an operator for the BTR tower, the student element and for the hotel as well. We hope to have all of those signed soon before we make a start on site by the first quarter of next year.”

Cartner said the former swimming site was ‘crying out’ for redevelopment.

“I was a competitive swimmer and I swam in the national championships in that pool,” he said. “It’s a fantastic site in the middle of Leeds but it just cries out for development.

“We’re spending a lot of time and effort, and on the public realm we’ve given a lot of thought to views through the site and how the square will look when it’s finished.”

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wish I could view the plans on my phone. Some of the buildings look good but the configuration of the public space disappoints me. It will probably get approved.. unless we get another rogue decision from the panel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This seems to be ticking along in the background, more submissions yesterday to the planning app regarding the cycle path.

It looks as if there could be amendments to how the bridge interacts with the site, to improve the flow of cyclists coming over the IRR. However, comments about problems with the bridge basically say "that's LCC responsibility." I hope something so trivial doesn't roll on for months.

261 - 280 of 468 Posts