SkyscraperCity Forum banner
281 - 300 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
It looks as if there could be amendments to how the bridge interacts with the site, to improve the flow of cyclists coming over the IRR. However, comments about problems with the bridge basically say "that's LCC responsibility." I hope something so trivial doesn't roll on for months.
Good to hear, just tacking some new steps and a lift on the end of the existing narrow, poorly aligned bridge just isn't good enough.

As for it being LCC's responsibility I would agree, they should put funding for a new bridge as a condition for permission.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm not sure.

Although I'm all for less monotony, this looks a bit like a smaller building plonked on top of a larger one.

I need to see it from more angles.
I know what you mean but it'll only look like that from the angle in the render above. I think I'm a fan of the slightly different tones.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree keep the tone white. This change makes it look out of place. Totally uneccessary and more ugly than previously
Everyone will have a different opinion but looking at the two images the darker cladding does integrate better with other buildings when viewed from Park Square. All white is a bit too stark. I also feel the 2 tone cladding allows the building to be read better as two distinct parts.

A tweak I’d make would be to have a more distinct roof line on the top section, maybe arched somehow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’d rather all dark grey cladding or all white cladding on the main 2 buildings. The lower buildings are fine as they are. I still think more can be done in quality for this significant site . For once this really is a landmark site and once in lifetime opportunity for something better

·
Registered
189 Posts
Everyone will have a different opinion but looking at the two images the darker cladding does integrate better with other buildings when viewed from Park Square. All white is a bit too stark. I also feel the 2 tone cladding allows the building to be read better as two distinct parts.
It doesn’t integrate at all with with the buildings at park square because they are high quality examples of real brickwork in architecture. I mean the detailing on St. Paul’s house just can’t be matched with prefabricated tacky looking towers. Either stick to high quality brick clad designs with actual detail like one of the lower rise buildings in the proposal or go completely contrast to park square and go for high quality modern skyscraper. Simple as that

·
Registered
189 Posts

A tweak I’d make would be to have a more distinct roof line on the top section, maybe arched somehow.

Something like this

·
Registered
189 Posts

Yeh I agree with the arched at the top. Small details that completely change for better. Or something like this in comparison

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
yeah something with better/ good darker brickwork (and some parabolic arches on the ground floors :)) would be more appropriate here imo. This version will only fit in cladding wise with the proposed block next to brotherton house which ain't exactly a good looker and why is it so wide ? :(

·
Registered
31,143 Posts
I don't think I have a massive issue with the building itself, but it's going to make quite a difference to Park Square and I'm not sure I welcome that.

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of historic places in Leeds where I don't really have an issue with tall buildings looming over them, especially if there's a precedent for it already with older buildings or if the buildings are particularly high quality, but in this case I think it's fair to say that Park Square is really the only complete Georgian Square we have in Leeds. It's certainly the only one that has been preserved well with sightlines from it largely protected.

We don't have many spaces as high quality and picturesque as Park Square so, surely we should preserve the one we do have?

281 - 300 of 449 Posts