SkyscraperCity Forum banner
381 - 400 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
"construction is earmarked to start spring next year" Seems a tad ambitious but not complaining!
The thinnest side looks good but the wide side looks too blocky.

Not sure about the student block either.

Devil will be in the quality of the materials.

So far it's a no from me.
I'm surprised, you're usually so positive...

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
You guys are getting sucked into the corner view which is exactly what the architect wanted by those strategic renders, a shiny object to distract from the mediocre at best design.

Its also worth pointing out that this angle is the side that faces south so will impact the skyline and look blocky, similar to the student cluster.

Its Altus all over again.

·
7,351 Posts
Although most importantly the narrow elevation is facing east towards the sensitive old business district, St Pauls, Park Sq, etc. The blocky north/south facades will mainly only be seen from the inner ring road from the north, and mostly blocked by other large buildings from the south side, so not a problem in my opinion.

Altus has done the same with the narrow elevation facing the more sensitive Briggate and the wider elevations mostly dissipated with other buildings, which works very well in my opinion. I walked right past Altus today in the sun and still love it!

Also consider that most larger buildings do need some bulk to provide the required quantum of floor space, so if narrow in one aspect would need to be longer in the other to provide all the area required. They are often wider than we would like for this reason, but taller forms improve the proportion to look more slender.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
You guys are getting sucked into the corner view which is exactly what the architect wanted by those strategic renders, a shiny object to distract from the mediocre at best design.

Its also worth pointing out that this angle is the side that faces south so will impact the skyline and look blocky, similar to the student cluster.

Its Altus all over again.

View attachment 2415874 View attachment 2415873
Certainly does look rather monolithic based on those renders. Hope the finished article turns out well although it would certainly be better than the existing car park.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeh that’s ok if each tower would be a singular tower, scheme but when altogether just messy.

Although most importantly the narrow elevation is facing east towards the sensitive old business district, St Pauls, Park Sq, etc. The blocky north/south facades will mainly only be seen from the inner ring road from the north, and mostly blocked by other large buildings from the south side, so not a problem in my opinion.

Altus has done the same with the narrow elevation facing the more sensitive Briggate and the wider elevations mostly dissipated with other buildings, which works very well in my opinion. I walked right past Altus today in the sun and still love it!

Also consider that most larger buildings do need some bulk to provide the required quantum of floor space, so if narrow in one aspect would need to be longer in the other to provide all the area required. They are often wider than we would like for this reason, but taller forms improve the proportion to look more slender.

View attachment 2415908

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I feel this is the finished look we should expect… yay! Oxygen tower Manchester
Absolutely not. Oxygen is a horrible building with no depth to the facade except on the two ends with those deep balconies. The Lisbon Street scheme has plenty of depth on the facade and the material panels have deep ridges along them rather than being almost flat. It also has structured horizontal bonding which breaks up the face - whereas Oxygen is just straight up and down a bit like the barcode building (Fairfax house?) or even a crap version of Altus House.

381 - 400 of 468 Posts