SkyscraperCity Forum banner
441 - 460 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
yeah it's the city facing blank (or might as well be) ends of the white rose view blocks that i personally don't like, the rest is ok for a (28 storey) filler. I can see where the fridge likeness comes from though with the frosty bright white cladding which did something weird to my camera lens when the sun reflected on it when it was first built, it was so bright it looked distorted/blurred on the pics like cosmic candy floss or cotton wool :)
I think these westgate ones will look much better, esp. the dark purple/terracotta parts of it imo

·
7,355 Posts
This we already knew, but here's InsiderMedia's report on the exchange of contracts between Marco Helios and the investors Cortland Group:

·
Registered
365 Posts
🤷

I wonder if they can only start on the BTR element once the cycleway is complete as part of Phase 1. They specifically refer to Phase 1 as labelled in the plan I posted above.

View attachment 3225025
Thats just a standard text, that means the highways dont think the development as drawn meets the minimum standards for visability of traffic entering or exiting the development. They need the architect to physically draw the visability splays on a plan to prove it does.

It should just mean producing a drawing, but if the architect has got it wrong, and it requires moving a building a few inches or triming a corner of a wall, it can be problematic. If they cant acheive the visability due to problems outside the control of the site, (e.g. you cant see far enough down the road because its obstructed by neighbouring properties), its a big problem which would require a complete rethink of development layout moving the entrances.
I doubt the finished development has a problem as that would be negligent for it to be an issue at this stage , but relates more to proving the construction access & hoarding layout is compliant. BUT you never know

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Thats just a standard text, that means the highways dont think the development as drawn meets the minimum standards for visability of traffic entering or exiting the development. They need the architect to physically draw the visability splays on a plan to prove it does.

It should just mean producing a drawing, but if the architect has got it wrong, and it requires moving a building a few inches or triming a corner of a wall, it can be problematic. If they cant acheive the visability due to problems outside the control of the site, (e.g. you cant see far enough down the road because its obstructed by neighbouring properties), its a big problem which would require a complete rethink of development layout moving the entrances.
I doubt the finished development has a problem as that would be negligent for it to be an issue at this stage , but relates more to proving the construction access & hoarding layout is compliant. BUT you never know
Yeah that's just the condition wording and they have submitted to discharge the condition. My point being that it still only relates to the BTR element. There are now 7 live applications which clearly only relate to the BTR - here's the proposed temporary drainage layout showing Phase 1 only:

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Latest application is a statement of construction practice - indicates a 104 week build programme starting May 22, so it seems like they will be on site as soon as these applications are dealt with.

One tower crane to add to 2022's list of additions at least!

View attachment 3261477
So the contractor for the student building is Henry Construction and it seems to be ready to go. If the BTR does start later in the year as indicated that will 3 towers going up at the same time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This development plus others should really bulk up the skyline when approaching from kirkstall Road, all other approaches into the city look epic but approaching on kirkstall rd should hopefully start to improve too with this development.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Does anyone recall seeing when the 100m+ building will be built? To me it looks like Phase 2 or 3 but I can't find anything concrete.
The 100m tower is the BTR scheme which is phase 2 but this has been bought (see quote below) and should start as soon as all the conditions are approved.

Cortland Group buys Marrico Helios JV’s £138m Leeds BTR scheme
By Laura McGuireTue 26 April 2022
The joint venture will develop a scheme with a £138m GDV comprising 629 apartments across two buildings of 33 and 22 floors above a single podium with 14,000 sq ft of amenity and commercial space.

Construction will start in summer and completion is set for mid-2024. Cortland will own and operate the completed apartment buildings.

The wider Lisbon Street scheme – worth a GDV of £300m - will also incorporate 500 purpose-built student accommodation units and a further two phases for hotels and offices.

RG Group has been appointed as contractor with RBA as project manager and DLA as architect.

Marrico partner Richard Bland said: “We are delighted to have signed this deal with Cortland for our flagship scheme in Leeds. This will be one of the city’s landmark buildings and we believe will set new standards in BTR accommodation in the city.”

The Lisbon Street site was acquired from Leeds City Council following a competitive tender. Marrico and Helios exchanged contracts last year.

Helios chairman Trevor Cartner added: “Leeds is one of the biggest markets for BTR outside of London and we are developing a best-in-class building for Cortland. We will now focus our energies on the remaining phases of the site.”

BNP Paribas Real Estate acted for the Marrico Helios joint venture.

·
Registered
31,302 Posts
This is a major step forward for this area as, even though we've seen a fair share of developments around here, I remember that this was identified as one of the key gateway sites suitable for tall buildings. The only area we've really seen coming to fulfill that role so far has been the arena cluster, with the minor exception of the riverside with Bridgewater Place (and at a stretch, Candle House).

This is therefore the first 100m+ building in this development area and hopefully the start of another cluster.

441 - 460 of 472 Posts