Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Having been involved in an unsuccesful bid for this site previously, LCC wanted a clear public footpath (not necessarily cycle) connecting with the bridge across the IRR to tie in with a potential replacement for the bridge or at least much improved landing points. As such there is probably a buffer zone against the road in part to facilitate this - the building layout looks to try and send pedestrians around either side of the site rather than through it straight up to the bridge.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I'm wondering if the student element of this project fits in? Surely remove the student lets and replace it with another BTR building? Given the scheme encompasses office, residential and a hotel who wants rowdy students going back to the flat making lots of noise at 2 am after a piss up at Dry Dock?
Don't know if you've lived in the city centre but apartments are just as rowdy as the student digs! You'd also probably get a lot of people coming back to the hotel building after a night out. It all gives a bit of character at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I don’t comment often, obviously it will look good driving from the ring road but I hate the designs. They’re awful. The night picture looks good but most tall buildings do with lights on by default. I guess fridge city is all we will ever be able to strive for. I’d rather have the international pool back in its place. Or even bare ground car park currently. Architecture clearly doesn’t exist anymore in Leeds. Not even a decent facade to mask the poor design inside the buildings. The proposal looks like a basic hotel you’d stay in on a holiday in Spain or any kind of beach resort. Manchester is really laughing at us I’m sure. Or even just unaware or bothered bout what Leeds is doing construction wise
See I disagree with you on the white buildings, they look really similar to this current scheme in Manchester at Castle Wharf:

The hotel also has some really good detailing and reminds me of the Maldron Hotel, also Manchester:

Progress shot [07/02/21]

The panels to the street level still give me major reservations - I can't help but feel like they look like oversized Ryvita crackers. That being said, I do love the detailing of the vertical louvre style concertina shutters to the glazing.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Is it two tone? or is the smaller building (darker tone) just in front of the taller building (which is staying in white?)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I don't agree with the complaints about the bulk/height of this. If you're sat in Park Row you're looking at the planting, trees and the buildings directly around you. You wouldn't sit there complaining that you can see a tall building in the distance (the render even shows Altus already there in the background, soon to be joined by Arena Point).

We can't sterilise an entire buffer zone around Park Square or other heritage assets from tall buildings right in the city centre - some of the most striking views in London come from that dichotomy of old meets new - views of the Bank of England with the tall buildings right behind it for example. Everyone's favourite flogged dead horse Lumiere would have been much more prominent in views from here but it seems to get a free pass.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Another point to try and quell the fears about the quality of this scheme:

The DAS says that the main facing materials will be satin finished (shiny like St Albans') with matt plinth materials. There is detailing, variation, depth here - I don't see what's not to like? aside from the actual material being used, i'd say these elevations are as good if not better than Altus which we all praise for those smaller details.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yeh I’m curious to see which of those developments are high end developments? Is INC actually happening ? I’m not convinced in YP phase 2 as phase 1 is a horrendous clunk. I do like mclaren building. Interesting to see what they do with brotherton house. I do feel just 1 high quality glass tower at LCC’s favourite height of 33 Would do nicely though. Space is running out in the city boundaries with many many many… brick clad blocks
I don't know what's replacing it....yet, but INC is dead (probably never was going to happen, let's be honest. Never even got to a planning submission).

I might have more to reveal one day though!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Due before the planners today, item 10 so probably about 2.30pm onwards if anyone can logon to watch.
Think 2.30 was generous - as of 4.30 they’re only just onto the second application which is a big housing estate in the suburbs!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I know that those that join the streamed planning meetings do so mainly for your own enjoyment/information, but I just wanna say a big thanks to those that do and report back the details and general feel of what went on, on here. It's really appreciated for me and I'm sure plenty others - thank you.
I think everyone should watch at least one of them as a right of passage. It will really help to explain some of the bizarre planning decisions we end up with!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
"construction is earmarked to start spring next year" Seems a tad ambitious but not complaining!
The thinnest side looks good but the wide side looks too blocky.

Not sure about the student block either.

Devil will be in the quality of the materials.

So far it's a no from me.
I'm surprised, you're usually so positive...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I feel this is the finished look we should expect… yay! Oxygen tower Manchester
Absolutely not. Oxygen is a horrible building with no depth to the facade except on the two ends with those deep balconies. The Lisbon Street scheme has plenty of depth on the facade and the material panels have deep ridges along them rather than being almost flat. It also has structured horizontal bonding which breaks up the face - whereas Oxygen is just straight up and down a bit like the barcode building (Fairfax house?) or even a crap version of Altus House.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts