Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Where did you hear that Ahmed? It was openly and extensively discussed and 'advertised' by Make Architects on the BBC Building Britain programme just a few months ago.
i think Ahmedd might be referring to a post by insider007 from a few months ago. The good news is that his post pre-dates the Building Britain programme.

Post #34
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=276992&page=2

Spiracle Tower
I have seen the images for the tower and the architecture is indeed fantastic but unfortunately hugely expensive and currently does not stack.

HBG a little at sea with what to do with the site. Originally 4 big office blocks and a tower over a single level basement. Now one office is planned to convert to a multistorey car park and basement to be ditched. Another office converting to a hotel and the tower in jeopardy.

Needs a major re-think I feel.

posted in October 2006

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I wouldn't think it would make much economic sense to update the pool. It no longer serves the purpose it was put up to serve. It's an interesting building inside but the exterior is no great shakes; it's time has passed imo.

Noticed the Spiracle looks a bit like Reading's Station Hill development.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
It's irritating that with great northern cities like Bradford and Hull there are a lack of companies willing to invest, while nothing towns closer to London, like Reading, Basingstoke, Swindon, Milton keyenes and, to some extent, Coventry seem to have people queuing up round the block to get in.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
In case you';re wondeirng, a guy from Reading dumped my sister during their engagement so it's not my favourite place.
One of Reading's main streets is uncomfortably similar to one of our own.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Thanks Stefan.
Yes it was an eerie feel in the place. It's always a bit surreal in these places of leisure that brought fun and entertainment to the general public. I think the most amazing closed building i've been in is, the A.B.C cinema in Wakefield, It closed in 1997. they simply locked the door and all the fittings and everything is still intact, The building is crashing down and falling apart all around. . The Mary Celeste of all cinemas. The pictures are here if you'd like a look
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=339802502
The poignancy of place, eh?

Thanks for the link to those fantastic photos.

I'm a real sucker for the residual traces of postwar lesiure experiences. i'm sure the Odeon Merrion Centre could become some kind of heritage cinema experience in the future. Although there's a strong chance the owners, not seeing the value or potential of what they have, will rip everything out and turn it into another Oceana.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Mate they secretly ripped it all out on the quiet last year. They knew it should be opened up to let folk see inside for one last chance, They knew it was a unique time capsule of 1970's decor,fixtures & fittings. They knew it would cause a bit of a stink if people knew they were throwing heritage like that on a landfill site. They initially gave me the thumbs up to go in & document it before they did. The bigger boss over ruled it & said no.. There's no documentation of the place at all now. Well done Town Centre Securities. Shame on them! :down:
Shame on them indeed. What a disgrace.
Some of the fixtures and fittings could at least have been salvaged to decorate some bar or club.
When '60s and '70s architecture becomes fashionable in say ten years time, this will be seen as an act of architectural vandalism to rank alongside the worst excesses of that era. The Ziffs can join Andrew Carter in the SSC doghouse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikj/41719364/in/set-72157594550990196

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Look at this sign... and my pool... in Australia. :lol:

I passed the site last week and it looks like a wasteland. It reminded me of Leeds in the 1980s.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I think the proposed development is ok but very far from being the 'iconic' design several alternative proposals promised. I worry that some of these developments appear acceptable in then renders but then look cookie cutter once they are built.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
It should be a cause for concern if every new proposal resembles the Headline and White Rose View. Birmingham developed its reputation as an 'ugly' city in the 1960s with a collection of low quality tall buildings.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
It’s not necessarily the white, it’s the buildings themselves. It’s just not good enough after all this time. There’s few key sites in city centre that have opportunity to have something original or iconic that can be associated with leeds. Yorkshire post site failed n now this...
Strenegly enough, Criterion Place was touted as a 'key development' site promising several iconic designs. What we got instead was a boring retail park aesthetic and several forgettable buildings. The Leonardo building and environs looks like the next site to suffer this strategic failure on the part of the council.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
This is vile and should be refused for the negative impact it has on Park Square. In any other city it wouldn't even be considered, but Leeds is seemingly not interested in protecting its historic sightlines and streetscapes. You think it can't get any worse and then a new abomination comes along. Gutter buildings for a gutter city.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Are the renders designed to demonstrate how many current views will be ruined by this godawful collection of buildings?

As a side note, it is interesting how many To Let signs there are on Park Place.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
What you on about man? What views? We're aren't saving sight lines looking towards St Pauls Cathedral.

This proposal is literally an improvement to the skyline and cityscape.
Park Square? The view from the Town Hall steps?

These buildings are third rate. They wouldn't improve Leeds if they were stuck in the middle of the Holbeck triangle.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
The colour change is an improvement for the building but it is still an abomination in that context. You change a colour slightly and suddenly you are allowed to build it? Frig off, developers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts