Skyscraper City Forum banner
301 - 320 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Is it two tone? or is the smaller building (darker tone) just in front of the taller building (which is staying in white?)

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
This is vile and should be refused for the negative impact it has on Park Square. In any other city it wouldn't even be considered, but Leeds is seemingly not interested in protecting its historic sightlines and streetscapes. You think it can't get any worse and then a new abomination comes along. Gutter buildings for a gutter city.

·
7,127 Posts
Is it two tone? or is the smaller building (darker tone) just in front of the taller building (which is staying in white?)
It appears to be the smaller tower is proposed to be a deeper colour shade, with the taller tower remaining the light shade. The report says it is in response to the comments that it could look like one big single block from some angles from Park Square, so the two shades separates the two towers.

It also says the deeper colour is nearer the conservation area, and the more contemporary paler colour is further out on the west side of the plot.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
It appears to be the smaller tower is proposed to be a deeper colour shade, with the taller tower remaining the light shade. The report says it is in response to the comments that it could look like one big single block from some angles from Park Square, so the two shades separates the two towers.

It also says the deeper colour is nearer the conservation area, and the more contemporary paler colour is further out on the west side of the plot.
Thanks for clearing that up. The basic idea though still puzzles me. Changing the colour of one of the buildings does not change the bulk that can be observed - it sounds like total marketing bullcrap to me.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't agree with the complaints about the bulk/height of this. If you're sat in Park Row you're looking at the planting, trees and the buildings directly around you. You wouldn't sit there complaining that you can see a tall building in the distance (the render even shows Altus already there in the background, soon to be joined by Arena Point).

We can't sterilise an entire buffer zone around Park Square or other heritage assets from tall buildings right in the city centre - some of the most striking views in London come from that dichotomy of old meets new - views of the Bank of England with the tall buildings right behind it for example. Everyone's favourite flogged dead horse Lumiere would have been much more prominent in views from here but it seems to get a free pass.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I don't agree with the complaints about the bulk/height of this. If you're sat in Park Row you're looking at the planting, trees and the buildings directly around you. You wouldn't sit there complaining that you can see a tall building in the distance (the render even shows Altus already there in the background, soon to be joined by Arena Point).

We can't sterilise an entire buffer zone around Park Square or other heritage assets from tall buildings right in the city centre - some of the most striking views in London come from that dichotomy of old meets new - views of the Bank of England with the tall buildings right behind it for example. Everyone's favourite flogged dead horse Lumiere would have been much more prominent in views from here but it seems to get a free pass.
Completely agree. This is the same old heritage sightline argument that plagues London.

·
Registered
30,874 Posts
Lumiere was designed with a taper on the top so that it wouldn't be visible from Park Square.

·
B*tch
15,143 Posts
Completely agree. This is the same old heritage sightline argument that plagues London.
It's a bit silly from a Leeds perspective because we're not York or Oxford - we don't have a historical skyline to preserve or protect. As mentioned you can already see Altus House from Park Square.

I'd expect 70 year old grannies on Facebook to kick up a fuss about this sort of thing tbh.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a bit silly from a Leeds perspective because we're not York or Oxford - we don't have a historical skyline to preserve or protect. As mentioned you can already see Altus House from Park Square.

I'd expect 70 year old grannies on Facebook to kick up a fuss about this sort of thing tbh.
It’s not that the building is visible. It’s the quality of it

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
It looks really bad looming over Park Square sorry to say. I have no problem with tall buildings overlooking this area but they really need to be high quality and this doesn't cut it unfortunately. At least if they switched the material to brick I'd feel alot better about it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
So do you have buildings different shades to make it look like seperate buildings but it doesn't any how. It looks like a bad two tone design, or have them all white which still looks like one building, but looks a lot better.

·
LS17
1,339 Posts
Don't mind the two tone given its differentiating different blocks. Think we can see the concern about it looking like one block given that's what we all thought the render was showing.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Would much rather have a building in one colour and agree it certainly needs to be of high quality considering it's highly visible location next to the Inner Ring Road and Park Square. Guess Spiracle Tower proposed way back in 2005 was a nicer proposal for this site (better than the vision that was Kite Tower) although I would certainly hope that the vacant International Pool site soon gets built on considering this end of the city centre has long been in a state of stagnation when you also view the likes of the derelict Bridge House site, largely vacant offices such as the former Bank of Scotland on Wellington Street or 34 Lisbon Street (although many of them have proposals to also be redeveloped) and the graffiti covered Brotherton House which could be such a good building if given a sympathetic restoration.

301 - 320 of 400 Posts