SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
I love Abu Dhabi.
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys narrow them down to three reasons please , even if you have a ton of reasons. thanks

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
1.. too many flashy buildings built by other countries dont make a city
2. lacks its own identity
3. you cant just build a sports cluster of three little stadiums and make it alook all pretty the olympic games arent going to dubai anytime before 2040..

·
Registered
9 Posts
its too new and tries to be too much too fast. I think Dubai is lame for the same reason I think Phoenix in the US is lame: There was nothing there 50 years ago and all the sudden the city just pops up. This gives it no heart and no culture.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
1.its trying to become the next hk or nyc overnight,
2.tries to build the biggest everything(mall,building,aquarium etc.)
3.bad architecture
bonus----------all of dubai forumers seemed to be brainwashed by the government or devlopment companies

Reactions: hkskyscrapers

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
So because the city is ambitious, it's fake, and needs to be put down all the time. Man i never knew you guys could be so jealous of a city. So what if it's trying to become a hk and ny overnight aren't these some of the best cities in the world, would you rather dubai become another spwally american city like LA or pheonix.

And if you think the Architecture is bad check out the link

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its only overrated because its seems like its nothing for miles, then a cluster of tall ugly buildings, then nothing again. What is so great about the city really.

·
Registered
170 Posts
that link is fantastic. kudos to tom green on those pics. and kudos to YouAreoBlame for posting the link to it. i look forward to one day visiting and experiencing Duabi personally rather than through pics and such.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
1. From many pictures I've seen, I dislike how they seem to put big plazas around all the large buildings. I'd rather see it integrated to the rest of the street/neighborhood. It looks like a vertical suburban office complex (http://tinypic.com/4juxdz)

2. I dislike how Dubai is trying to look futuristic.. Just having big, glassy buildings doesn't cut it. Hearing this "city of the future" stuff drives me nuts.

I don't hate Dubai, though. It'd be a fun city to visit.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
pottebaum said:
1. From many pictures I've seen, I dislike how they seem to put big plazas around all the large buildings. I'd rather see it integrated to the rest of the street/neighborhood. It looks like a vertical suburban office complex (http://tinypic.com/4juxdz)

2. I dislike how Dubai is trying to look futuristic.. Just having big, glassy buildings doesn't cut it. Hearing this "city of the future" stuff drives me nuts.

I don't hate Dubai, though. It'd be a fun city to visit.
what the hell is wrong with a city looking futuristic, you guys are just coming up with any reason to bash dubai it's so pathetic. If you don't want a modern futuristic city stick to europe and leave N. America, Asia and S. America alone

check out this thread to see how great the city is

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203571&page=1&pp=20

·
I love Abu Dhabi.
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are to blame , i created this thread because i wanted to see the reasons behind people really hating this city , or just desliking it for what it is , i though maybe some people would make sense . However , the majority of reasons posted here are a load of crap really , maybe , and thats a big MAYBE one makes a little sense , but they are doing something about it to better it in the near future

thx for the link you are to blame , tom_green has done a good job

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
dont hate dubai but i think its overated for some reasons:
1-its developpement is that fast because the other countries of the region are unstable. So dubai is the only city where to go for business. Kuwait, iran, irak, saudi arabia, yemen.. you cant do business here, exept kuwait or saudi arabia but at your own risks..

2- its not very populated, desertic area, still they build skyscrapers. what i question is who will go in the skyscrapers.

bonus point : + heaven of peace and some liberty in this region.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
^ well dubai is a fast growing city with a housing shortage you know, alot of people from europe and asia immigrate there. plus it's a financial & tourist mecca with many fabulous hotels. The best way to think about it if New York and Miami were one city

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
At the moment I just think it lacks an identity but apart from that I wouldn't say it's really overrated.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
You are to blame said:
what the hell is wrong with a city looking futuristic, you guys are just coming up with any reason to bash dubai it's so pathetic. If you don't want a modern futuristic city stick to europe and leave N. America, Asia and S. America alone

check out this thread to see how great the city is

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203571&page=1&pp=20
That's just the thing, though. Dubai doesn't look very futuristic to me---or maybe my image of the future is just different than yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. no history
2. no high culture(high art etc.)
3. mediocre culture(popular music, night life, cafe culture, films:do they even make movies there?, fake international restaurants etc)
4. NO IDENTITY!!!
Very overrated in my opinion.
It will find its identity in 15 years,
no need to rush for the glory,
just let it happen.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.