SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
UK86
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was walking around Manchester recently and I was pretty disgusted with litter in all corners of the city. You go to some European cities and they are so clean and welcoming, I hardly think this is the right impression to make to visitors. I though the area surrounding Piccadilly was quite dirty, I was wondering is the council doing enough to keep things clean and are laws enforced enough about dropping trash? was do you think?

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Manchester is a shit tip. Rubbish everywhere, dirty streets, bad paving that is loose. It's sad really because it is dirtier than many places I visit and this is my home. At one time we had more cleaning of the streets at night with pressure washers and we seemed to have more street cleaners too. I see the bins are often over flowing too and some parts of town are void of any bins.
They should have some of those drive around floor cleaning machines that they have in some cities in the USA.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Litter really gets up my nose .

Manchester and the whole of the UK is a fucking shit hole , British people are scruffy , filthy fuckers ,, they don't give a shit . .

The council dos'nt help , where are all the fucking bins ???

Next time you are near the Cornerhouse just look where people have put there litter because there is no fucking bins insight , its stuffed in every hole and behind every fucking drainpipe . Don't get me started .

I was walking down Deansgate a few months ago , this car door swung open and this fucking disgusting bitch started tapping out her fucking ashtray from the car ,, she was not impressed when i kicked the pile of dimps back into her car ,,Tramp .

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I haven't really noticed but then I have lived in Manchester far too long to know any different. A lot of mancs are just scruffy chavs who should live in their rusty old XR3is.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Glad to see others think the same.

I was told in a phone call from a Manchester City Council 'Streetscene Manager' to stop sending so many requests for litter bins to them. I replied curtly that if they provided sufficient coverage in the first place, I wouldn't be sending requests.

Even though I live on a private gated development, and pay £10 a week for cleaning and maintenance of streetscape and communal areas, the place still suffers from constant flytipping and general litter.

I think the Piccadilly area is particularly worse than any other due to the mainline rail station being categorised as 'high risk', so no litter bins exist anywhere. This leads to a widespread area blighted by litter.

Cleaning is subcontracted out (by Network Rail) to Initial Cleaning Services, who provide the cheapest bid. Rats have been a problem on the Piccadilly Station Approach, with one particular food outlet being shut down and since reopened after a deep, heavy clean.

Recycling bins on Todd St/Victoria Station Approach are regularly overflowing, likewise outside Oxford Road (Cornerhouse) and Deansgate (Area 51 Club) are litter strewn.

Salford Central suffers from being on the boundary.

These give a poor impression to visitors and residents, who then are of the mindset that littering is tolerated.

Go along the Bridgewater, Rochdale and Ashton Canals, its extremely rare to see a litter bin anywhere, it gets chucked in the water.

CityCo, Piccadilly Partnership, MCC don't seem to care. At least Central Manchester Development Corporation (pre-1997) provided extra bins.

However, stand outside Town Hall/Albert Square and it looks spotless!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree about the lack of bins. I was recently in Edinburgh where there are well maintained, unobtrusive litter bins with ashtrays on top at every junction in the city centre. In comparison the provision in Manchester seems lacking.

I appreciate a balance is required between service provision and enforcement, but it does seem to me that our council is a little too enthusiastic for fixed penalty notices and less with providing basic services (and whilst a level of personal responsibility is required, a litter bin is a basic service in a large city centre). I agree with link road - the canal tow paths would be a good place to start.

Its the same for public toilets - the focus is on enforcing a bye-law that allows fixed penalty notices to be given to people who urinate down a back alley after spending their money in the "night-time economy", less keen on providing public toilets out of the tax revenues from selling liquids.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
The reason they don't put any bins in Manchester is because there's a terrorist threat attached to them:

Bad Person puts bomb, disguised in coffee cup, into bin, then BOOM.

But yeah, it's pretty bad how I have to stand on a crowded train with a bulge in my pocket (empty coke can, no funny ideas!) because I refuse to drop it on the floor.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
There wouldn't be a terrorist 'threat' if this nation kept its nose out of other peoples' affairs, instead of trying to act like a global or 'empire' leader?!

Crowded trains are more likely to be the targets, as more human loss of life, rather than financial or physical damage, is the preferred result.

Yet (non-clear) bins exist on trains, but aren't allowed on stations. Manchester Airport Railway Station even has recycling bins on the main concourse/ticket barrier area now.

Cars are a bigger killer of people worldwide than terrorism, yet you don't see them banned from the streets, do you?

·
Far East London
7,510 Posts
The reason they don't put any bins in Manchester is because there's a terrorist threat attached to them:

Bad Person puts bomb, disguised in coffee cup, into bin, then BOOM.

But yeah, it's pretty bad how I have to stand on a crowded train with a bulge in my pocket (empty coke can, no funny ideas!) because I refuse to drop it on the floor.
Seems to be true. All the bins in the arndale seemed to dissapear after this incident a few years ago.

·
UK86
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally at the end of the day I see it as, you've got to make the chav scruffbags change their attitude but because they are so arrogant, stupid and don't understand anything outside their own tiny mind it would be a hard thing to do. It's saddening when people start to actually think its okay for them to drop litter on the floor, part of it is sheer laziness because they can't wait to find a bin.

It is down to people and changing their attitudes towards how they choose to use the space around them. However I have to agree in saying that the council should be doing more and if they fear a terrorism related attack then they really should find ways around that, because people need a bin. As said earlier what bins are there are already over flowing, do the council actually empty the bins often enough? I dunno makes me go spare sometimes....

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,552 Posts
The real issue here is indeed the attitude of the general public, there are litter bins in Piccadilly gardens for instance yet idiots just leave their trash strewn all over the lawns. The same goes for places such as Market Street. We need more litter wardens out fining people, so what if the MEN gets its knickers in a twist because some busybody mother is aghast that her dirty scrote of a daughter got fined 50 quid for walking away from an empty bottle she'd just finished with.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
My big bugbear is Chewing Gum...I have never seen a city who`s pavements are so infested with the stuff, we should adopt the same attitiude as Singapore really heavy fines for dropping litter and chewing gum...Singapore is spotless so if it can be done there, why not here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts