SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://blogdowntown.com/2009/06/4471-big-night-for-little-italy

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — At the Los Angeles Historic Italian Hall Foundation's First Annual "Taste Of Italy" on Saturday night, Councilman Tom LaBonge won over the Pico House crowd with a prototype district sign that read "Little Italy." It was presented in between opera sets and servings of wine, pastas and pizza.

The borders of what would make up a Little Italy would certainly take debate. The Italian community in Los Angeles was originally centered in land that is today occupied by Chinatown.

Still, one of the signs could go by the Italian Hall, where the Foundation plans to build a museum on the second floor.

The space is slated for a 2010 opening, but dates to open a museum there have slipped before.

The effort to build a museum that tells the stories about Italian-American Angelenos has been ongoing since 1988, when L.A.'s Italian community began a support group, Friends of the Italian Hall. They in turn became the Historic Italian Hall Foundation in 1993.

Outside the Pico House, once owned by a Giuseppe Pagliano, tables were filled with people having coffees and desserts, finding shared bonds going back several generations.

"It's like going to a wedding and finding out you have a lot of relatives," one man is overheard as saying. "I didn't know we had such a big Los Angeles family."

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I hope this materializes. While it'd be completely inorganic and manufactured, it would add more depth and culture to DTLA.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
This is a dumbass and stupid idea. Italians? I'd rather see a Little Tongva before seeing yet another stale ass Little Italy.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
...does this Little Italia come with Mobster's and all??? :lol:

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is a dumbass and stupid idea. Italians? I'd rather see a Little Tongva before seeing yet another stale ass Little Italy.
Yeah, basically. There's nothing like a Little Italy that has little to no Italians in it. :lol:

Let's keep it organic, folks. No need to follow everyone else's footsteps and there's no need to give everyone else sticks to beat us upside the head with.

....although if they did manage to pass this thing, I wouldn't complain. :dunno:

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
More often than not, it's nothing more than a political move. How many Ethiopians do you think actually reside in Little Ethiopia?

And how is this a dumbass idea? That area was originally called Little Italy and was populated by Italians.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
There was a pre-existing Little Italy? Is there any neighborhood within LA or in the vicinity that has a substantial Italian population?
Yeah, the area now occupied by Chinatown was once Little Italy.

The center of LA's Italian community is San Pedro, which according to Wiki, is home to some 45,000 Italians.

Gia, how many Italians live in Manhattan's Little Italy? I'm pretty sure there are multiple Italian enclaves in NYC. Hell, the whole CSA could be considered one giant Little Italy.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Same here. What Little Italy isn't already gentrified at this point and devoid of its original Italian population? If there's history and great food, then that's good enough for me.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I've got a couple of friends, half Colombian - half Italian, you know, Drugs-Mafioso... Yeah, I know.

Yet I haven't see many Italians gathered in a single place anywhere in LA.
^^ WHat I can tell you is Italians in the WestCoast generally claim White/Caucasian. Well the ones I've met...

·
5,837 Posts
Yeah, the area now occupied by Chinatown was once Little Italy.

Gia, how many Italians live in Manhattan's Little Italy? I'm pretty sure there are multiple Italian enclaves in NYC. Hell, the whole CSA could be considered one giant Little Italy.
"the area now occupied by Chinatown was once Little Italy"

that can be said anywhere ;)

Today Manhattan's Little Italy is now narrowed down to just Mullberry Street and I'd be willing to wager the area that surrounds it E,W,S is mostly Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Korean. Nolita still has some stragglers from the old days but not many at all.
New York's real Little Italy is up in the Bronx in the neighborhood of Belmont "Arthur Avenue" though it is comprised of many Italians it is shared with Colombians, Ecuadorians, Puertoricans, Dominicans, Peruvians and Central Americans. I wouldn't consider the whole CSA as one giant Little Italy by a really long shot but Bensonhurst in Brooklyn is one giant Little Italy technically and literally a very large neighborhood.
Staten Island and much of Nassau County's south shore is Italian.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Why is Little Italy always next to Chinatown in so many cities? Weird.

So the point stands. It doesn't matter whether or not there are actual Italians living in a so-called Little Italy. It's the same thing with our Little Tokyo, whose authentic character has already succumbed to chain restaurants and an influx of Koreans. Still, though, Little Tokyo retains its history/culture and continues to offer authentic Japanese cuisine.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How many Ethiopians do you think actually reside in Little Ethiopia?
i used to pass through the area frequently and i can say there is a large collection of non-fabricated ethiopian ma-and-pa shops and restaurants owned by ethiopians all within the boundaries of the enclave.

little ethiopia here should be called the tuscan village though (yeah, like the apartments) just to set it off from other italian enclaves throughout the nation.

filipinotown was newly created just a few years ago and look how many filipinos claim the area now, especially with family owned restaurants and markets that aren't so "fake".

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ But there were still Filipinos living in that area at the time of its creation. Also, how many Filipinos are there in LA vis-à-vis Italians? Italians just aren't immigrating to LA, if at all, at the same rate as Filipinos. Furthermore, our Italian community is very Anglicized compared to the Italian community in the Northeast. Finally, the Italians here aren't recent arrivals, unlike the Filipinos.

I hope you're right, though. Any sort of investment, especially one that would add more depth/culture, is welcome in DTLA.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts