Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that if you go to Google's rivals at http://maps.live.com/ and zoom in on London, you can click the button which says 'Switch to bird's eye view' for oblique arial photography.

This is much better than Google Earth in some respects as it lets you see the buildings themselves rather than just their roofs, and lets you have a close look at a number of construction sites.

Pan Peninsula has just got a few floors, Willis is up but largely unclad, Broadgate Tower is about halfway up. Canary Wharf looks great.

You have to get used to navigation; as these are photos which can't really be stitched, you reach the edge of one photo, then it jerks into another. This means you get more than one view of some areas where there are overlaps if you move around a little, and they're of different vintages. Pan to Ontario from the north and you see it topped out, pan from the Dome and you see it as a naked core!

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I would love to, but thi laptop is minging!

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
lol my computer would never handle the 3D versions, but suprisingly, the perspectives of the docklands overall showed up quick and clear, I actually think microsoft may have made a decent piece of software! :shocked:

(where on ssc can i go to talk about computers??) :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow - that's really great. You can see my house and everything - and I can actually recognise it not like on Google Earth. Thanks for pointing this out.

·
Founder of the 'Gy'.
3,129 Posts
Its always worth trying them both ... sometimes one's better than the other. Eg, live shows my old house very well and you can even recognise my car. I showed this to my dad and he thought if he went outside and waved we would see him! Now that would be cool.

·
946 Posts
The birds-eye view pictures are recent at least around Waterloo, has that hexagon building on the roundabout about 80% demolished

Heh, go to the Broadgate Tower, it goes from being non-existant, to about 40m tall, to about 150m tall with cladding depending on which angle you look at it.

·
Viking
1,078 Posts
Where is the "Switch to bird's eye view" located?

I've found the map, but no such button. Even tried in both Opera and IE.
I'm probably just being very silly :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can only see the birds eye view in certain locations, central Lodon has not been done yet. If you go to the Thames barrier area which has been covered the birds eye view should become active, it is on the left had side of the screen. Hope that helps.

·
946 Posts
You can only see the birds eye view in certain locations, central Lodon has not been done yet. If you go to the Thames barrier area which has been covered the birds eye view should become active, it is on the left had side of the screen. Hope that helps.
Central London has been done! I could see from Waterloo to City

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I see. I was trying to find my soon-to-be new flat in Brentford :)
jorgen, I just opened the page, typed 'Brentford' in, and the bird's eye view button was active. I clicked it and Brentford came up.

Give it another try, you should find Brentford. I've looked at places I used to live and where my family lives all over London (several in zone 5) and they've all been covered.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:cheers: sweet!! thanks for the update.
I've been waiting for this for sometime now.
it's seems the bird eye view now covers a good part of zone 1 & 2 of london, which is the most interesting part to look at anyway.
Although it'd be nice if heathrow airport can be included too:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts