Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Mhmm?
3,738 Posts
Well, it aint gonna be rainscreen.

The emerging architectural expression utilises a simple and regular lattice of glazing and masonry, intended to present an elegant appearance with a pronounced emphasis on the verticality of the building. Above the lowest levels of the building floors are likely to be expressed externally in pairs and proportions at the top of the building may be extruded to create a clear crown to the building. The regular pattern to the façade ensures some commonality with the neighbouring brick buildings around the courtyard whilst the architectural form will create an interesting dialogue with Hume House across Wade Lane.
Subliving.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's designed by Rio Architecture, the same architects as the Unite scheme currently being constructed on Merrion Way. I hope it isn't as bad as that scheme.
Apart from the blank ends, I didn't mind the renders too much. Some of their designs in Cardiff are also pretty impressive like The Ledger.

I might be wrong, but it makes me wonder if Unite has seen Merrion's future plans for their corner plot. If Merrion built something tall on that corner, those blank ends would make perfect sense and Jack's renders do show that plot is becoming more and more desirable as these towers go up. Similar logic with the blank end on the new Merrion office tower too, don't put windows somewhere where people could complain about loss of light in the future. It's in Merrion's interest for all these towers to go up too, just increases their land value. So I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke with Unite about their plans.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
What a cluster we will have....great news to see more towers on the horizon in this area.

Just want us to break the 40+ storey towers next along with these 28 + we are getting now ...only CEG possible at present.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Just thinking about the next tall building in the Arena cluster and if there’s potential for any in the near future.

It’s just short enough to allow Hume House to remain ‘king of the hill’ so to speak, but it also fills in the physical gap both literally and in terms of height, between HH and Symons/Vita.

If anyone has suggestions let me know. I might make this model more realistic showing windows/cladding etc if it floats someone’s boat.
I'm not gonna say they stole my idea, but...:lol:

Sounds good, I'm gonna have a go at mocking up the appearance of this in terms of the description from the report - sounds like it's heavily based on the design of Commerce House which it would replace.

Also, the applicant has 'let's get planning permission and sell this site on to an actual operator' written all over it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was just thinking about how if we're going to carry on the flow of tall buildings in this area after Hume House then we really needed to be seeing some planning going in now and then this happens! The consistent "one core finishes another emerges" in this area has been really impressive.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nothing particularly new here, but probably still worth posting anyway...

https://www.insidermedia.com/inside...-planned-for-city-centre-office-building-site

28-STOREY TOWER PLANNED FOR CITY CENTRE OFFICE BUILDING SITE

A 1970s office building could be demolished to make way for a new 28-storey residential tower under new proposals.

Black Caviar Property Ltd is set to present pre-application plans to Leeds City Council for the redevelopment of the Commerce House site, in Leeds' Northern Quarter, next week (6 June 2019).

The site is currently occupied by a part four-, part five-storey office building built in the 1970s.

Under the new proposals, this building would be demolished to make way for the construction of a multi-storey student accommodation development.

The new building would comprise two stepped blocks, rising from 18 storeys adjacent to the greenspace to the east, to 28 storeys close to Wade Lane. It would be served by a courtyard to the south.

A total of 362 studio flats would be created, along with facilities including a reception, gym, cinema room, study rooms and bike storage.

The proposals will go before the council's City Plans Panel on 6 June and members will be asked on the acceptability of student accommodation use, the planned mass and form of the development and whether the courtyard should be publicly accessible.

Commerce House was built in conjunction with three other office buildings; Warwick House, Belgrave House and Zicon House.

Plans were submitted in October 2018 for the conversion of Belgrave House and Warwick House into student accommodation, creating more than 100 new flats. Zicon House was previously extended and converted into residential apartments, known as Havana Residence, during 2017.

QOne, on the north side of St Alban's Place, has also been converted from offices to residential apartments and planning permission was granted last year for a part 11-, part 18-storey student housing scheme adjacent to Q One.

·
Mhmm?
3,738 Posts
Funny to think that five years ago a skyline like that would have been completely unthinkable, but now, there’s only two buildings in that shot that are not yet confirmed. Great progress.

Subliving.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
are all of the remaining horrible low rise blocks around there going except for the recently converted Havana one? I hope so, along with that santander block which would be a good location for a small park imo

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
are all of the remaining horrible low rise blocks around there going except for the recently converted Havana one? I hope so, along with that santander block which would be a good location for a small park imo
There are planning applications in/already approved to convert the other two and add two storey extensions to them, same as Havana :(

1 - 20 of 147 Posts