http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaldhortensius/305626969/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjjr/357975240/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2670567791/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2670567453/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2052254394/

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
That's really a cool picture with both stadiums, but you can clearly tell that they are both outdated. I wonder why they don't build a common stadium in the green space behind, and turn the current stadiums into parks. They would keep the stadiums close to the neighborhoods, which gives it a nice feel I think, and split costs while being able to maintain the green space necessary for the city.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
^^ because groundsharing is not the done thing! and that is what we call a public park not availavle for building!
I think the opposition to groundsharing is counterproductive because while fans like their identity in the stadium, staying in their current stadiums cost them millions and hurt the team.

Assuming that they would go through with a groundshare, which is a long shot at best, what would be wrong with building it in the park as proposed above? You build the stadium, then you turn the two stadiums into public parks, giving the people more park space in total when the building and demolition is over.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I think the opposition to groundsharing is counterproductive because while fans like their identity in the stadium, staying in their current stadiums cost them millions and hurt the team.
But that's not the reason, that's just one of the reasons. The only benefit of ground sharing is sharing the costs of building; that also means you share non football related revenue, which basically defeats the point of building a new stadium which is to maxmise non footballing revenue.

It is for the reason that the milan, rome and genoa clubs all want their own stadiums.

If there is enough trade in town for two stadiums why build one and restrict trade?

Assuming that they would go through with a groundshare, which is a long shot at best, what would be wrong with building it in the park as proposed above? You build the stadium, then you turn the two stadiums into public parks, giving the people more park space in total when the building and demolition is over.
Liverpool are building in the corner of the park as far as I'm aware, on that car park.

Also what would be the point of turning those grounds into parks would be a waste of space, especially with a huge park next door. Everton won't be allowed to build on the park if Liverpool are!

·
Registered
30 Posts
But that's not the reason, that's just one of the reasons. The only benefit of ground sharing is sharing the costs of building; that also means you share non football related revenue, which basically defeats the point of building a new stadium which is to maxmise non footballing revenue.
The point of building a new stadium is to maximise MATCHDAY revenue, particularly corporate hospitality and general admission ticket revenue. Goodison has 4,000 restricted view seats and many seats with limited legroom making them harder to sell. IMHO non matchday revenue is simply icing on the cake. However, saving building costs is a pretty huge incentive. As for ground sharing, my experience is that some of the strongest oppositon is from the boardroom not the terraces.

I reckon there is still an exceptionally strong case for reconsidering ground sharing on the site in the park where the new Anfield was proposed.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Of course, but it is also to maximise the revenue the stadium makes in non footballing activities which can be very lucrative (I can remember chairmen saying as much). Arsenal make a lot of non footballing revenue (concerts etc), so Liverpool would be at a disadvantage not making that revenue too.

Also I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the sponsors of Milan and Inter don't like the fact that they groundshare because there is a pretty high cost of refitting the stadium every week with their different corporate stuff.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How does it work out for New Meadowlands Stadium? That's shared between NFL's NY Giants and NY Jets.

However I imagine that it's slightly different there because any revenue is likely to be shared with all of the league, not just the stadium tenants.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
How does it work out for New Meadowlands Stadium? That's shared between NFL's NY Giants and NY Jets.

However I imagine that it's slightly different there because any revenue is likely to be shared with all of the league, not just the stadium tenants.
In the NFL 40% of the 'normal' ticket sales go to the league, to eventually go to the visiting team. But the important part is that none of the luxury box revenue, concessions or parking gets shared.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everton have had plans for new stadiums.

Kings Dock, failed due to insufficient funding, the board failed big time with this project and may live to regret it for ever!

The recent and most controversial was the decision to relocate Everton to Kirkby, 4 miles from Goodison Park but just outside the city boundaries. This project was scrapped by the Government after several flaws in the planning application, another epic fail from the board of directors!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I first went to Goodison for an FA cup tie, would have been late 1990's, Chrissie Waddle chipped fat Nev from the half way line, a great day out! :) I went again when my team, Bradford City, were in the Premier League.

I love that ground! And, now that grounds are becoming "bowls" and "McBowls" at that, I make the effort to get to Goodison once or twice season, it reeks of history and crackles with atmosphere, both will be lost if/when Everton move. :eek:hno:

·
Banned
6 Posts
A upgrade that is well needed!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Goodison Park may reek of history, ancient history mind you, but it also generates the least match day revenues in the EPL per seat... Even many of the football clubs which go up and down from the Championship have better stadiums considering revenues.

Simply put, a football stadium in the twenty first century needs to produce revenues from executive boxes and vip premium club seats... Notice almost all of the rest of the stadiums in the EPL have at least one stand if not more with the higher generating revenues seats and boxes... Just the Emirates executive boxes and several thousand vip premium club seats generate as much revenues as all of Highbury...

And folks wonder why Everton FC is a selling club and not a buying club?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sea Toby, has it occurred to you that a poster calling him/herself "Forever_Everton" might not have revenue per seat as their primary consideration?

I agree Everton badly need a new ground. However, it MUST be one of their own. Unless they find a wealthy benefactor - and that isn't likely any time soon as long as Bill Kenwright continues to bury his head in the sand - I cannot see how they will fund it, even with a naming rights partner, as was once mooted with the Tesco project in Kirkby. The club generates about £80m revenue per season (Liverpool's should exceed £200m soon) and haven't been able to significantly invest in their squad for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sea Toby, has it occurred to you that a poster calling him/herself "Forever_Everton" might not have revenue per seat as their primary consideration?

I agree Everton badly need a new ground. However, it MUST be one of their own. Unless they find a wealthy benefactor - and that isn't likely any time soon as long as Bill Kenwright continues to bury his head in the sand - I cannot see how they will fund it, even with a naming rights partner, as was once mooted with the Tesco project in Kirkby. The club generates about £80m revenue per season (Liverpool's should exceed £200m soon) and haven't been able to significantly invest in their squad for about 2 years now.
The longer EFC remains at Goodison Park, the greater their chances for being relegated... Since EFC isn't a big team, maybe they should look at other clubs in the Championship and build a new stadium with a modest naming rights sponsor such as Brighton Hove Albion. Their new American Express Stadium cost 93 million quid... AMEX can be expanded to 35k seats for not much more, several more millions. The seats and boardings/floorings are all that need to be added in the four corners of the lower bowl and the upper tier of the East stand as the foundation and steel support beams are already in place. For a few more millions I am sure such a stadium design could be increased to 40k, which EFC presently has a hard time filling Goodison Park...

There is a big difference between affording a new ~100+ million 40k seat stadium and a new ~300 million 60k seat stadium... A huge difference in price...

Brighton Hove Albion hope to win the Championship soon and go up to the EPL... EFC should be thinking in the same terms... Recently I read a newpaper story how Goodison Park only generates 20 million quid in match day revenues. That is AWFUL for a EPL club... AMEX can beat that paltry sum... Which reveals that Goodison Park generates practically nothing for corporate and vip enhanced revenues... When your living in a pre WWII relic, don't expect to keep up with the Jones living in modern mansions... That is state of the art new stadiums built to sustain a club...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Furthermore, EFC should be concentrating as much of their present revenues to a new stadium more than building a squad... In fact, EFC may be better off dropping down to the Championship so that their ownership wakes up...

Bristol City FC plans a ~30 million new 30k seat stadium which can be expanded to 40k seats with all of the bells and whistles new stadiums should have... Of course Bristol City FC will have to pay a lot more to expand their new stadium as the foundations and steel beams will also have to be installed...

http://www.bristolcity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=109866

I believe a new ~100 million 35k-40k seat stadium is viable for Everton Football Club...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Money, money, money, that is all very well, I understand. But I don't care about Everton, couldn't care less about them, I go to see and experience Goodison Park, a wonderfully atmospheric, quintessentially, British football ground, it is not a multi-purpose McArena!

I hope they never get the funding to move, just like I hope Valencia never get the funding to leave the Mestalla and complete the new one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Money, money, money, that is all very well, I understand. But I don't care about Everton, couldn't care less about them, I go to see and experience Goodison Park, a wonderfully atmospheric, quintessentially, British football ground, it is not a multi-purpose McArena!

I hope they never get the funding to move, just like I hope Valencia never get the funding to leave the Mestalla and complete the new one.
Great, enjoy the Championship and then League One.... Cause that is where Everton is headed without a new stadium....

Many misguided fans believe an old relic provides the atmosphere... They are wrong, its the fans inside that provide the atmosphere, not a stadium's bricks and mortar... Do you drive a Model T?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts