SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1017 Posts

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
^^ It was originally on the market for £1m. I went to see it about three years ago with some friends who were hot for this kind of property. They were asking about £900 and something K then.

Sadly the house has been divided so the buyer is only getting the substantial part of a property that at the time of our viewing also had three self-contained flats that were also up for sale - a combined offer of >£1m was hinted at. It does have some attractive features but overall it felt as though the refurb had been a bit rushed and the owners/developers had tossed in furniture just to kill off empty house syndrome - no one was living there at the time. If three flats weren't bad enough, it also shares a drive with another (even more attractive property) so, overall, they felt that it was too much to pay for a heavily compromised location.

You can see Fulwood Park on Google's Street View if you're interested. Some of the very attractive houses can't be seen from the road and there's a locked gate at the far end which residents can open if they have a key - these days it only opens onto Riverside Drive. To the right of the gate, a bit further towards the shore there used to be several tennis courts. My grandfather used to play tennis there as a lad and their biggest rivals were the tennis club in St Michaels!

·
Human Being
39,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)

This neglected, unloved villa sits on Mersey Rd, L17 - as you approach Aigburth train station and Otterspool promenade. I pass it on a regular basis and have spent considerable time imagining elaborate renovations - to turn it into a vegetarian B&B. I don't believe we have one of those in the region.

·
Human Being
39,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)

The Homestead on North Mossley Hill Rd - originally owned by William Imrie of the White Star Line. In need of some love and attention. Currently in single family ownership - I found that out because the owner came out and told me I was trespassing! If you look carefully you can see someone in the window!! All was o.k though.

·
Banned
862 Posts

The Homestead on North Mossley Hill Rd - originally owned by William Imrie of the White Star Line. In need of some love and attention. Currently in single family ownership - I found that out because the owner came out and told me I was trespassing! If you look carefully you can see someone in the window!! All was o.k though.
You would think they would give it a sandblasting.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts

That's all part of being an intrepid photographer for the Liverpool forum:) I like that last house (post 48) very tasteful.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Some great photos of many splendid properties that exist in the city. Some I'm familiar with but many, especially those around Grassendale and Cressington which are new to me.

·
Human Being
39,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I am about to upload a selection of photographs of houses and homes in The North Sudley Rd area of L17. It is an interesting little area, with a 'villagey' feel; due to its history as a large estate belonging to a Liberal lord. As a result there are many lodge houses, barns, stables and workers' cottages.
There are two main mansions in this small area - each belonging, originally, to a different Holt brother. The first, Sudley House, was owned by George Holt and is now owned by National Museums Liverpool; it is an example of the most complete Victorian gentleman's art collection still to be housed in its original home. George Melly lived there in later years.

The second house is called Crofton - a far grander, Italianate affair, and which belonged to Alfred Holt, owner of The Blue Funnel shipping line. This has fairly recently been converted into apartments; the outer buildings have also been converted into individual houses, and some new houses have also been built in the grounds. I visited the open day and fell in love with one of the duplex apartments - which was actually like a 'proper' house and with some great original features and stunning views over the river towards the Welsh Hills.

I could only take pictures of some of the outer buildings today, as the complex has electronic security gates.

·
Human Being
39,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
There is also a fairly significant third house - called Delfield - Gothic in style and sitting on Barkhill Rd. It is currently being renovated and having a sports complex and other additions added by the footballer, Kevin Nolan. To be honest - these additions are a bit much for such a house, and due to all of the groundworks a large section of old sandstone wall has collapsed.

I have managed to get two incomplete shots of it - cannot get a proper view at present - because it is covered in CCTV cameras and a lot of workers ( His uncle is in charge of the works).

41 - 60 of 1017 Posts