Though it could be arranged
With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear

If you're out of luck or out of work
We could send you to Johannesburg

[Chorus]

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Breck Road Lover, variously the Libertines, Babyshambles or Pete Doherty. Whatever old skag bones is calling himself this week.

The Libs also would knock out a version of the old sea shanty, Sally Brown ("I shipped on board off a Liverpool liner", etc.)

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
According to an old school teacher of mine who moved in the same muso circles as Elvis C during his pre-fame phase as a piano man in Southport wine bars, Costello's "Alison" was a local lady, surname Allison, who clearly must have pissed young Declan off.

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Still Elvis:

Somehow I found myself down at the dockside/Thinking of the old days of Liverpool and Rotherhithe.

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Who killed Clayton Square?

SSC-relevant contribution from Mick Head there. Somewhere there is an old interview, contemporary to the song, with the songwriter lamenting what the city's planners had store for the old Clayton Square, noting that the area, pre-Stanley St, was the home of Liverpool's gay community.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Jegsy Dodd - Scouse Werewolf in London

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Was at my dad's last night and he was listening to some arl Dubliners 33s:

Leaving of Liverpool

I Wish I Were Back in Liverpool (I think this one was sung by Luke Kelly)

If any of you have never heard Luke Kelly sing it's worth it. Not sure how true it its but apparently when he was working around England he picked up The Wild Rover which the Irish then appropriated.
The Dubliners probably did a lot more Trad Arr tunes about or mentioning Liverpool and the Mersey, but I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,612 Posts
BOB DYLAN - ROLL ON JOHN.

Doctor, doctor, tell me the time of day Another bottle's empty Another penny spent He turned around and he slowly walked away They shot him in the back and down he went
Shine your light, move it on, you burn so bright, roll on John
From the Liverpool docks to the red light Hamburg streets Down in the quarry with the Quarrymen. Playing to the big crowds Playing to the cheap seats Another day in your life until your journey’s end
Sailing through the tradewinds Bound for the sun Rags on your back just like any other slave They tied your hands and they clamped your mouth Wasn’t no way out of that deep dark cave
I heard the news today, oh boy They hauled your ship up on the shore Now the city’s gone dark There is no more joy They tore the heart right out and cut it to the core [ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/roll-on-john-lyrics-bob-dylan.html ]
Put on your bags and get ‘em packed. Leave right now you won’t be far from hine The sooner you go, the quicker you’ll be back You’ve been cooped up on an island far too long
Slow down you’re moving too fast Come together right now over me Your bones are weary You’re about to breathe your last Lord, you know how hard that it can be
Roll on John, roll through the rain and snow Take the righthand road and go where the buffalo roam They’ll trap you in an ambush before you know Too late now to sail back home
Tyger, Tiger burning bright I pray the lord my soul to keep In the forest of the night Cover him over and let him sleep

Read more: BOB DYLAN - ROLL ON JOHN LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/roll-on-john-lyrics-bob-dylan.html#ixzz26Mo10kES
Copied from MetroLyrics.com

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Every tune that people have referred to is at least good, if not a belter.

One melancholy tune I heard today was "Everything Is Sorrow" by the Boo Radleys, which contains the lines
I worked in Birkenhead for you
It brings me tears even now
You tried to kill me,
Break my will,
You almost won
I hate you still

And it goes on and ends with:
It eats me up
The cancer that is you

Ouch! I wonder who Martin Carr was writing about?

·
Registered
128 Posts
don't know name of it heard a skiffle group singing it in the 50s, when i was young and lazy as lazy as can be i said good by to my mother in law and away i went to sea ????????i swore at the captain captain of mary anne and sailed down scotland rd in a black maria van ,scotland rd i am forsaken for a whiskey and a rum i have taken a whisky and a rum i have taken for for that little girl that lives down scotland rd,

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Interesting terry. It sounds like a version of a sea shanty and by googling I notice that Everton fans sing a version of it called "Oh Scotty Road".

I've talked on here of Mike Hart before. Hart was a Bromborough lad who formed a R&B group called the Roadrunners and played frequently at the Cavern before becoming a folkish singer songwriter in the Dylan mould, getting mixed up in Adrian Henri's late-60s bohemian milieu and contributing songs to Henri's group, the Liverpool Scene.

Sadly Hart was to pretty much destroy his career and the rest of him with alcholism and survives, now brain damaged by the booze, in a care home down south.

Not only because one knows his fate there is a melancholic feel to his songs (when they're not bitter like the brilliant Almost Liverpool 8. which I've linked to somewhere on the forum before). This is no exception: Gliders, Parks and Everything. The song is about meeting a girl on a Saturday afternoon in Coronation Park. [That's the park with the asteroid, which isn't an asteroid. I think it's an erratic.]

Possibly the "gliders" are actually the writer's memory of the light aircraft from Woodvale aerodrome frequently in the sky in that part of the world and especially at weekend as they are used to train recreational pilots.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts