Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The Guardian would illustrate it with a map showing Manchester, because just showing Liverpool would not be enough, might as well show some unknown village on the map.

I deal with southerners every day since I live and work down south. A lot of them are genuinely and horribly ignorant about "the North" in general, and Liverpool in particular. I suggested to one person that our office should be relocated up north, perhaps Leeds, and she reacted with horror: "it's too cold up there". Another - who lived in the murder and street-crime hotspot that is Harlesden - was worried about crime if he visited Liverpool. What do you say?

The ignorance is far greater than I think people who live in Gr Liverpool realise. That is one reason people should be so angry with the BBC, Guardian and rest who routinely slag the city. And also a reason why people should be very angry with the likes of Wirral Council and West Lancs Council basically denying that they are in Greater Liverpool. It has a culmulative and very damaging impact that means people don't really know what Liverpool is.

21Cl should publish a "Code of Conduct" for national press and media ahead of 2008, asking them to sign up to it. The principles should include:

a) reporting the objective facts of the city as they would for London, Manchester or Edinburgh

b) avoiding stereotypes and patronising assumptions

c) accepting that Greater Liverpool is not all one quaint if slightly criminal extended family of football supporters who are on the dole, and that the city has a big and vibrant middle class as well as a big and vibrant working class

d) etc etc..............too tired to detail this, but you get the point.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
a) reporting the objective facts of the city as they would for London, Manchester or Edinburgh

b) avoiding stereotypes and patronising assumptions
Except that the supposed "objectivity" of these two examples rest upon definitions and perameters which are, by nature, selective and indeed subjective. And in your case extremely subjective.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
I was in Oxford over the weekend.

It has a big middle-class. In fact, it's almost exclusively middle-class.
Well done, Villiers, you've excelled yourself.

That's your most clueless post ever.

Sodding google or something. Here's some keywords: Morris, Blackbird Leys, Cowley, Unipart, 1992, riot, Fisher Steel, Lucy's, dog racing, Oxford City Council, MP, Labour.

:eek:hno:

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Well done, Villiers, you've excelled yourself.

That's your most clueless post ever.

Sodding google or something. Here's some keywords: Morris, Blackbird Leys, Cowley, Unipart, 1992, riot, Fisher Steel, Lucy's, dog racing, Oxford City Council, MP, Labour.

:eek:hno:
You still smarting over something sunshine?

Do one.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Stop speaking shite then, Villiers. Here you go, you've learned something. Oxford is a predominantly working class town and has been so historically. Its university isn't working class but town and gown infamously have little to do with each other there. Oxford the city is, amongst other things, a declining south Midlands industrial town.

The Cowley Road and much of East Oxford is "vibrant", btw. So you got that wrong as well.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Seriously though Tedious & Pedantic, if you want an argument we can have one.

And, on past evidence, it won't last long before you're getting seriously menched. Again.

"T&P". I like it.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Can't have it both ways, Williers. You came on this thread to pedantically pick a fight with Liverpolitan, asserting, with bathetic inaccuracy, that Liverpool doesn't have a "vibrant middle class". They looked pretty vibrant when I was last in the Tesco's in Woolton quarry.

When a follow up remark, containing the ludicrous suggestion that Oxford, famous industrial home of Morris Motors, the 70s BL strikes, racial tension, joy riding and nights of rioting in Blackbird Leys, is almost exclusively middle class, is, er, menched (is that a Jewish or a gay thing? :dunno:), you turn into the enemy of all pedants. God help us.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Can't have it both ways, Williers. You came on this thread to pedantically pick a fight with Liverpolitan, asserting, with bathetic inaccuracy, that Liverpool doesn't have a "vibrant middle class". They looked pretty vibrant when I was last in the Tesco's in Woolton quarry.

When a follow up remark, containing the ludicrous suggestion that Oxford, famous industrial home of Morris Motors, the 70s BL strikes, racial tension, joy riding and nights of rioting in Blackbird Leys, is almost exclusively middle class, is, er, menched (is that a Jewish or a gay thing? :dunno:), you turn into the enemy of all pedants. God help us.

"Goooodddd helppp usss!!!!!"

Laughin.

Seriously man, be easy on yourself. You're not enjoying it.

Take your beta-blockers. Get out there. Have a laugh. Meet someone.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, I am a southerner living up north. Have been up here for the best part of 12 years.

I have visited Liverpool on several occasions, but am afraid to say that I do not like the place. It has good points, Albert Dock, the excellent Maritime Museum, World Museum etc.

But, until the Paradise project opens, the city centre shopping areas feels like it is trapped in the late 80's. And the drive into town along the A59 is a truely awful experience.

I trust things will improve in time, but believe me, at the moment, any dislike I have is based on experience not prejudice.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hi Jon. I think that the "big dig" and all the redevelopment has made the city centre horrible for visitors - and its now becoming obvious that a lot of the city will be a messy building site during 2008. I won't go into the whole canal argument here, but any over-runs on that would be very serious indeed.

NWDA should pay for a lot of serous, high quality hoardings / explanations so that visitors can see in big pictures what is being built and created. Instead of just the CoC image, there should be a consistent "transformation in progress" type message plastered everywhere where that is true. If all the main and minor development sites within the centre were treated in this way, it would bring home to visitors the messive scale of regeneration that is underway. You all know what is going on, but visitors may think a place is just being demolished.

B4mmy and his type should be working night and day to produce renders of how beautiful the city is going to look, so that visitors will make a mental note to return once its finished, so to speak.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.