SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that LCC are consulting on whether or not we should have a proper skate park in the city.

I think this is a great idea and we should have public facilities of this type.

The more people that complete this, the better chance we will get of having one/many.

skate parks will keep em occupied, will certainly make Liverpool cooler in the eyes of the yoof and will actually show that Liverpool really does respect street culture, as opposed to allowing it for two days a year then arresting all kids the next day for trying to skateboard down St Georges Plateau.

I'd love too see Liverpool have parts of it kinda taken over by them. Theres an art gallery in Barcelona which has a square outside it which has literally been over-run by boarders. Everyone else had to either dodge through 'em (which they didnt mind at all, as they used me as an obstacle at one point) or walk around them.

It turned out that I spent 1 hour in the gallery and 3 hours sitting in a cafe watching the boarders. The fact that they made the square their own was great, considering that the rest of the city is available to pedestrians I thought this was more than reasonable.

One of my favourite parts of Barcelona and increasingly essential if any city dares to call itself multi-cultural (from the perspective of young people).

www.liverpool.gov.uk/docs/survey/skatepark/skate_park_consultation.htm

www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europ...elona-Museu_dArt_Contemporani_MACBA-BR-1.html

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
Yeah, they moan if you skate in the streets but there's nowhere where you're actually allowed to skate. There used to be some halfpipes in that park on the junction of Edge Lane and Rathbone Road, but they fell into disrepair for many years before eventually being removed alltogether.

There needs to be more facilities for young people.

·
Fugly
11,298 Posts
The one in Southport is always chocker, and gives the old dears something to watch as they walk down the pier.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
I'm surprised H&S doesn't kill these ideas off, imagine someone breaking bones/killing themselves in a council built park. Who will get sued....!

There was rumour of a city centre location a few months back, hope it goes ahead, better than them destroying the steps of St Georges hall or other areas/street furniture.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,690 Posts
There was rumour of a city centre location a few months back, hope it goes ahead, better than them destroying the steps of St Georges hall or other areas/street furniture.
Otterspool was mentioned too and seeing as it's where the Hub Festival is held then surely it makes sense to build it there.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Perhaps Paul, but then wouldn't there be an issue of getting to Otterspool? It has some level of public transport provision, but it isn't extensive. People may make the effort for an annual event like the HUB Festival, but would they bother several times a week/month?

A couple of thoughts I had -

Firstly, if the popularity of the HUB Festival is anything to go by, a single facility is likely to very quickly become a victim of its own success. As such, perhaps several smaller facilities across the city should be investigated? It would obviously cost a bit more to set up due to buying extra equipment, but it may allow more people to take part, and not see people resort to using steps and street furniture again because the one facility is always packed.

Secondly, as well as providing a facility for the youth of the city, I'd also like to see if this venture could be used to re-generate a brownfield site/s. There must be loads of sites out there that could be used for a facility such as this. Perhaps if it did this, the facility could be part-funded by a lottery grant?

·
Registered
461 Posts
On a similar note I remember going into work one Saturday afternoon when I worked in Art House Sq and a load of young kids brought a load of cardboard, a massive ghetto blaster and shit load of hip-hop, it was a bit mad, me and the security guard were watching all these kids on a hot summers day break dancing - fucking ace actually.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The council are looking at Walton Hall Park, Wavertree Playground and Otterspool Promenade but have requested ideas for alternative sites.

What's the park called on Crown Street near the Womens hospital?

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've also suggested that micro park thingy next to Browlow Hill/Copperas Hill. Wavertree Playground would be good, but I'd prefer a load of smaller ones.

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
The council are looking at Walton Hall Park, Wavertree Playground and Otterspool Promenade but have requested ideas for alternative sites.

What's the park called on Crown Street near the Womens hospital?
I think if we're only going to have only one of these, then it has to be downtown, or at least, somewhere as central as possible, so that it can be easily accessed, from all parts of the city. Otterspool is the most central of those locations, but even that's a bit out of the way for most people.

I'm not sure what that park's called, but I know which one you mean. It could work, I guess.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
^^Fair point, Gherkin. But Rampworks is outside the Liverpool city boundaries and in another Merseyside borough. Silly boundaries of course as where it is is still Liverpool really.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Oh right. I never skated at Rampworx because it was a bit too far from Shropshire before I learnt to drive, so never really knew how close to Liverpool it was. An outdoor skate park for the Fourth Grace would be cool :D

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
I agree that a skate park would be an excellent idea and it should be located centrally. Isn't there an old bus station or something behind the adelphi? it allways suprises me that this land hasn't been redeveloped. But why stop there, I think a decent modern ice rink and a dog track would be big bonuses for the city too.:banana:

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
^^

Agreed Medici. That site behind the Adelphi would be a good site. It's large enough to hold an indoor and outdoor facility, and would regenerate a brownfield site which is another bonus.

As for an ice rink. I've long felt that this would be the next logical step for the city's sporting facilities. However Widnes seem to have plans in motion for an ice rink of their own. As such, I don't know how keen the council would be to invest in an ice rink for Liverpool with another facility so close by.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
I signed up to this and agree wholeheartedly with you that this is desperately needed.

Young people need something to do and the rpestige it would bring Liverpool would be imense.

Can you imagine if one day Liverpool won the X Games???

Worldwide exposure!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If this is still a going concern for the council then I reckon a site near Sandhills station would be good.

Plenty of brownfield land within walking distance from there, it's one of the main interchanges on the Merseyrail network and isn't far from town either.

·
Registered
99 Posts
eyeam, it would also give a boost to that part of the city and would no doubt encourage people from Bootle to come, strengthening that part of the 'city region' . We must do all we can to break down artificial boundaries which often hold back the city and their neighbours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts