SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mein Scousevolk, there's a probably unedifying Detroit versus Liverpool discussion started on City vs City if you're really board.

Has Liverpool been compared with any other city on there, as far as anyone is aware?

·
Lifer Pol
121 Posts
Awayo said:
Mein Scousevolk, there's a probably unedifying Detroit versus Liverpool discussion started on City vs City if you're really board.

Has Liverpool been compared with any other city on there, as far as anyone is aware?
Yes its sometimes been compared to Shanghai and San Francisco.

One of my mates is Spanish and he reckons that Liverpool is very similar to Seville, mainly in terms of the people and their attitudes, personalities, sense of humour etc.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I always compare Liverpool to Lisbon - nostalgic, romantic, a bit meloncholic, stunningly beautiful, friendly, known hard times, dreaming about what is beyond the horizon.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,613 Posts
These polls are pointless because only the best areas are ever shown and they always end up in a slanging match,watch this happen with this one.Until Liverpool's current projects are finished anything like this will be a bit one sided.

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a Liverpool vs. Portland Maine one on there as well, with one of the top ten clueless pricks on the forum, Sitback, visciously spouting hate-filled nonsense about Liverpool and Glasgow (two of my favourite cities anywhere of course).

·
Registered
13,819 Posts
Paul D said:
These polls are pointless because only the best areas are ever shown and they always end up in a slanging match,watch this happen with this one.Until Liverpool's current projects are finished anything like this will be a bit one sided.
It wouldnt matter if every single Liverpool project was complete. With the amount of anti-Britishness on the world forums, Detroit would win, despite the fact it was being compared with hell the other day...

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
caw123 said:
City vs. City forum is stupid. There are so many anti-brits and ignorant trolls.

And this doesn't need it's own thread. ;)
There are a lot of anti-Brits (not as many as anti-yanks though), but a lot of Brit forumers don't exactly help their own cause sometimes with the stuff they come out with :eek:hno:

PS Sitback is a prize ****!

·
Liverpool, England.
12,039 Posts
liverpolitan said:
I always compare Liverpool to Lisbon - nostalgic, romantic, a bit meloncholic, stunningly beautiful, friendly, known hard times, dreaming about what is beyond the horizon.
Its almost twenty years since I went to Lisbon but I remember thinking it had similarities to Liverpool, especially the ferry across the Tagus that was like a 1950s Mersey Ferry.

Detroit does have some similarities to Liverpool. It sits on a wide river facing Windsor Ontario although I prefer the Mersey and the Liverpool waterfront. Then, both cities are famous for their music (Motown vs the Merseysound) and, of course, both have experienced severe decline in the last few decades. I think that Liverpool's era of decline is over now, however.

I'm not sure what BirminghamCulture was thinking of when he started the Portland Maine thread, there are no obvious similarities. As he introduced us as 'one of Britain's roughest cities' I doubt that he had our best interests at heart.

The trouble with these versus threads is that they easily degenerate into slanging matches. It would be a lot better if we could just compare two cities, discuss what they have in common and how they differ and how one city can learn from another.

·
Registered
16,657 Posts
That's far too sensible Martin.

It's a shame things degenerate due to no marks diving in with misinformed opinions and prejudices.

I read them sometimes but rarely get involved.

·
366 Posts
Toadboy said:
That's far too sensible Martin.

It's a shame things degenerate due to no marks diving in with misinformed opinions and prejudices.

I read them sometimes but rarely get involved.
Spot on Toady.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Detroit's skyline, as viewed from across the river in Windsor, Ontario, is a typical North American/Pacific Rim panorama of glass and concrete with some stunning skyscrapers. The view of Detroit from the Ambassador Bridge is less attractive. Of course Detroit's tall buildings dwarf anything existing or presently proposed in Liverpool but, and this is just my opinion, Liverpool's skyline is far more interesting than that of Detroit.

·
Cork 2005
2,170 Posts
sloyne said:
Detroit's skyline, as viewed from across the river in Windsor, Ontario, is a typical North American/Pacific Rim panorama of glass and concrete with some stunning skyscrapers. The view of Detroit from the Ambassador Bridge is less attractive. Of course Detroit's tall buildings dwarf anything existing or presently proposed in Liverpool but, and this is just my opinion, Liverpool's skyline is far more interesting than that of Detroit.

having looked at pictures of both and without any bias of course i agree with your statement sloyne. :cheers:

·
366 Posts
bustcapl said:
having looked at pictures of both and without any bias of course i agree with your statement sloyne. :cheers:
Bustcapl, do you have the link to the pics you've been looking at?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts