Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to aggressively promote the City in a positive light on Facebook, Instagram, buzzfeed etc. IÂ’ve seen other cities doing it with sponsored ads etc. As stated above our leadership just constantly promotes negativity with no aspiration whatsoever. ItÂ’s like they revel in it.
Been there, did that, infact that is where I received the idea that "Scousers hate Scousers" who make good and move. It was an observation made by a number people, the vast majority being Scousers, one posting from a place called Gundagai, NSW., Australia. A Scouse herself, who emigrated with her husband and two children to Australia. They had two more children born in Australia when her husband died suddenly and prematurely. Having to become the breadwinner as well as the carer of the children she, somehow, made good. She started her own business and now employs others.

She has ceased visiting Liverpool due to the snide remarks she receives from people who where once friends and even some relatives. And, she says, is all because she has succeeded in business, something she never dreamed she would do. But would forgo all the wealth in the world to have her beloved partner back again. I know from where she is coming from.

I thought it was only Scousers who settled in the USA who suffered the brunt of those snide remarks. Strange, because the amount of posts complimentary of the US by posters, usually after a short visit to NYC or the Magic Kingdom, are gushing and profuse.

I started taking notice of how many times I have been vilified on here just for having a comfortable life, without want. Mind you, I have not had anything handed to me and, in the beginning, in Canada I once worked three jobs at one time. I had a full time day job, worked part time in a plant that manufactured garden furniture and drove a cab on weekends and, when/if I had any spare time, delivered pizza, were my pay was tips. I am now enjoying the fruits of my labour and surprisingly, a latent acumen for investing and business.

The snide remarks, mostly from Scousers, on these threads are constant, numerous, repetitive and yes, irritating.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
No, the comments on here are largely honest debate about the city and whilst passionate I will admit these debates cannot be simply be described as scousers hating scousers.

If by people justifiably being angry with Joe Anderson and his team or any other political party that isn't delivering for Liverpool in your mind means scousers hate scousers then you need to check that because it not a justification for your comments.

Many people have left Liverpool not because they have 'made good and left' but because they had little choice and are in many cases frustrated that they had to leave. distancing their family and what is arguably a great city behind because those in charge of the place (inside and out) are either dropping the ball or deliberately hobbling the city's chances to provide opportunity for the people who live there.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If by people justifiably being angry with Joe Anderson and his team or any other political party that isn't delivering for Liverpool in your mind means scousers hate scousers then you need to check that because it not a justification for your comments.
I share most of the opinion of most on these threads as to the perceived inadequacy of Anderson and share the opinion that he is not the best front for Liverpool. He is though, the choice nay, the overwhelming choice of the electorate of Liverpool. That is not an opinion, it is verifiable fact! Also, you are confusing my disgust and impatience with TheFamousGoose's constant, repetitive, vicious hatred and personnel attacks on Anderson, not just because of his politics but also his appearance and body type, which is nothing short of disgusting and needs to be confronted, if not by the moderators then it is we who should be doing it, which is not synonymous with support for Anderson.
Many people have left Liverpool not because they have 'made good and left' but because they had little choice and are in many cases frustrated that they had to leave. distancing their family and what is arguably a great city behind because those in charge of the place (inside and out) are either dropping the ball or deliberately hobbling the city's chances to provide opportunity for the people who live there.
You are describing me, probably before you where born and the situation I found myself and, due to the then political leadership of Liverpool. I am now enjoying the fruits of that decision and my own endeavors, hard work and a certain, surprisingly acumen for business and investing and, a large amount of luck.

You seem to be saying that Liverpool has never had an incompetent non Labour city council. Every political party which has controlled the council has had it's corrupt (in different forms) and incompetent leadership and administration.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Jesus. Right, i'm not saying Liverpool hasn't had other incompetent councils and i'm not interested in past performances, i'm concerned with the now and what that means for the future.

Criticising your political leader is not disgusting by the way, what would be disgusting would be to mince your words and not say what needs to be said as politicians are charged with making our lives better (albeit frequently missing that point)

One last point of politics - the fact that Joe is voted for is a direct result of a pushy local labour and the absence of any other tangible choice. Given a choice i'm pretty sure the largely savvy Liverpool electorate would have perhaps changed direction by now in it's voting habits which you would hope would force labour to work harder for their vote. Alas, when votes are considered in the bag politicians such as Joe can find themselves tangled up in all kinds of issues when they're more concerned about their own affairs.

So, please, let's get back to perceptions of the city from the outside which regardless of a few people on here being a dickhead from time to time (including myself no doubt) should be the real focus as the real damage to Liverpool is still emanating from outside it's boundaries and needs to be challenged.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesus. Right, i'm not saying Liverpool hasn't had other incompetent councils and i'm not interested in past performances, i'm concerned with the now and what that means for the future.
Good, because they have.
Criticising your political leader is not disgusting by the way, what would be disgusting would be to mince your words and not say what needs to be said as politicians are charged with making our lives better (albeit frequently missing that point)
The personal, non attire, appearance of a human being should be off limits to any decent discussion. Someone weight, body type, gender or physical condition should be totally taboo and off-limits to any civilised discussion.
One last point of politics - the fact that Joe is voted for is a direct result of a pushy local labour and the absence of any other tangible choice. Given a choice i'm pretty sure the largely savvy Liverpool electorate would have perhaps changed direction by now in it's voting habits which you would hope would force labour to work harder for their vote. Alas, when votes are considered in the bag politicians such as Joe can find themselves tangled up in all kinds of issues when they're more concerned about their own affairs.
Perhaps they would but, until that happens we are stuck with Joe Anderson but, it would seem that some of his once supporters are now abandoning ship. It could be that the ship has now sprung a leak which could see more people deserting him.

I have a question for yourself, if you don't mind answering; You seem to be seized with the subject and, unlike TFG, do not use the vicious vile personal attacks, even on his family and physical appearance that he employs, and you are not backward in coming forward (a compliment) and seem very knowledgeable in local politics. My question is; Why don't you join a political party, place your name in contention and to oppose Anderson and Labour?

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Good, because they have.The personal, non attire, appearance of a human being should be off limits to any decent discussion and, yes, it is disgusting. Someones weight, body type, gender or physical condition should be totally taboo and off-limits to any civilised discussion.Perhaps they would but, until that happens we are stuck with Joe Anderson but, it would seem that some of his once supporters are now abandoning ship. It could be that the ship has now sprung a leak which could see more people deserting him.

I have a question for yourself, if you don't mind answering; You seem to be seized with the subject and, unlike TFG, do not use the vicious vile personal attacks, even on his family and physical appearance that he employs, and you are not backward in coming forward (a compliment) and seem very knowledgeable in local politics. My question is; Why don't you join a political party, place your name in contention and to oppose Anderson and Labour?
The reason why I don't yet go into politics is because i'm based in London although this forum, albeit a small echo chamber is a good barometer for the mentality of some in the Liverpool City Region, the city that I care most about.

That's not to say I don't enjoy London but it has plenty of people in it working to ensure it's future is a good one and for me Liverpool severely lacks those very same types of people today with the likes of Joe Anderson punching way above their weight (that's not a derogatory comment) and filling the void along with some other types who have dragged the city's political image through the dirt legally of late.

These people should never have reached the office they have and in my view it can only be the result of better, more connected, open minded and rounded individuals not coming forward.

I'm also tied up in 3 major projects in London, one of which involves my younger brother who is based in San Francisco which is an app that myself and the team he has brought together launches in NY next month. The other is something which might, just might save the high street and is also a digital innovation. On top of that I have a short feature animation film underway centred around Ai. So yeah, plugging all this incase it actually takes off but this is why at this stage I won't go into politics in Liverpool as even if there was an appetite for someone such as myself I would probably have a nervous breakdown if I took on anything else, not to mention it would take a lot of time and upheaval.

For me, i'd like to do it when I could actually finance a campaign and if plans in London go the way I would like in terms of my business affairs I could actually bring some useful connections and potential investment at the same time.

For me, Liverpool has to become a business city, a city with backbone, teeth and confidence, a city that has to remove the 'poor' image whilst actually dealing with that issue and focussing on North Liverpool in particular. The city has to tackle some of the harder to articulate issues such as our relationships with neighbouring cities, Whitehall, the media and where was stand in the pecking order nationally, reversing what we all suspect to be the case. I'm not interested in tourism - we have that boxed off, i'm not interested in giants and dodgems on the waterfront i'm interested in tall fat office blocks packed with medium to well paid jobs, an expanded airport connecting us across the world, a major investment in our Universities and re-establishing national rail links as a major urgent priority as well as a major aggressive drive to bring some global media and digital organisations to base in the city and to redefine Liverpool as a European hub rather than some enforced dormitory town or hub and spoke off shoot to the ambitions of a neighbouring city region we cannot sadly trust to play fair.

We have to provide urgently the environment and opportunities for talent, drive and ideas to grow and stay in the city. This will slowly but surely go a long way to addressing some of the systemic problems hitting the city.

There you go, hint at the future manifesto.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm interested in tall fat office blocks packed with medium to well paid jobs, an expanded airport connecting us across the world, a major investment in our Universities and re-establishing national rail links as a major urgent priority as well as a major aggressive drive to bring some global media and digital organisations to base in the city and to redefine Liverpool as a European hub rather than some enforced dormitory town or hub and spoke off shoot to the ambitions of a neighbouring city region we cannot sadly trust to play fair.
All you have listed above, are ambitious, desirable and worthy goals but are only attainable with the permission of the central government, a government which has shown only neglect and outright opposition to Liverpool, it's population and ambitions. So unless Liverpool can somehow elect someone with enough clout to break through the quarantine like wall built around Liverpool, it will, sadly, only be a pipe dream.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
All you have listed above, are ambitious, desirable and worthy goals but are only attainable with the permission of the central government, a government which has shown only neglect and outright opposition to Liverpool, it's population and ambitions. So unless Liverpool can somehow elect someone with enough clout to break through the quarantine like wall built around Liverpool, it will, sadly, only be a pipe dream.
No, no pipe dream.... all achievable we just have to play the game much more effectively. There is always a way.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Is there not an active programme to get tech/ creative sectors to move from London?

There's literally no warehouse space left in the city. I would have thought promotion of the Baltic/ ten Streets to these sort of people would bring dividends.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we just have to play the game much more effectively.
Something we haven't been able to do since WWII. Don't know how/if we can do it now, with our neighbour being so far ahead and us first, playing catch-up before we can even start to compete on an equal footing. A 50+ year head start is an massively high hurdle to overcome.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Something we haven't been able to do since WWII. Don't know how/if we can do it now, with our neighbour being so far ahead and us first, playing catch-up before we can even start to compete on an equal footing. A 50+ year head start is an massively high hurdle to overcome.
With respect this is defeatist talk. This can be overcome and the city down the road isn’t 50 years ahead of anyone, I find those comparisons ever more exaggerated.

A good team and a proper strategy and fresh ideas could go a long way to addressing this, my worry is that people have the attitude and view that you have suggested in your post. We have to stop believing we’re miles behind but at the same time formulate a real strategy for getting ahead.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With respect this is defeatist talk.
Yes, i'm aware of that.
This can be overcome and the city down the road isn’t 50 years ahead of anyone, I find those comparisons ever more exaggerated.
Yes, it is (airport/rail/arena even football, etc.) However, with exageration in mind, so is most of the posts in these threads, doesn't excuse my post though but, being in agreement is second only to vacating SSC.
A good team and a proper strategy and fresh ideas could go a long way to addressing this, my worry is that people have the attitude and view that you have suggested in your post. We have to stop believing we’re miles behind but at the same time formulate a real strategy for getting ahead.
Agreed but, every time I tried that tack I was blown off course by the gale of negativity from others posters, some with very belligerent posts.

I would like you to expand on the (good team, with a real strategy) and in particular, the "good team" and who and what would constitute same?

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Yes, i'm aware of that.Yes, it is (airport/rail/arena even football, etc.) However, with exageration in mind, so is most of the posts in these threads, doesn't excuse my post though but, being in agreement is second only to vacating SSC.Agreed but, every time I tried that tack I was blown off course by the gale of negativity from others posters, some with very belligerent posts.

I would like you to expand on the (good team, with a real strategy) and in particular, the "good team" and who and what would constitute same?
For goodness sake Manchester is not 50 years ahead of us, 5 at best. It’s airport is down to its geography and good decision making, our airport simply needs more long haul routes and ambition to connect us and the wider region including Manchester to more places and choice, it doesn’t need to be the same size, perhaps in time that would be good but to double in size and become a major U.K. airport to serve the north too would be a great medium term goal. Our arena is one of the UK’s most modern and popular and a simple expansion could see the Echo arena attract bigger names although it’s doing quite well already.

Football? Where we not just in a champions league final?

Rail is frustrating but let’s see that as where cities are not so much ahead but better served. Reinstating cross country links and ensuring Liverpool is no longer viewed as peripheral would go along way to changing the trajectory on that front.

Liverpool must change the political game and smash the whole northern powerhouse nonsense which will only serve one city in the end and slightly empower even further its northwest off shoot. We must find a way of being much smarter with central government and less adversarial. The cuts to public services are bad but we cannot simply be be poster boy for that all the time as other cities have it worse and it just reinforces negative stereotypes for Liverpool.

I just don’t believe Liverpool’s leaders are inspiring the people of the city to reimagine what Liverpool is and could be for the future.

·
Registered
172 Posts
IMO Manchester is approaching 95% of it's potential. Manchester is just about a bit of infill here and there.
Liverpool is now entering a period of catch up. IMO Liverpool is approaching 50% potential. Within that 50% it already surpasses the Manchester offer in terms of tourism, landmark architecture and geographical location.
Once Liverpool hits 75% potential it will be approaching the now Manchester potential peak...the launch of LW/EFC stadium, Pall mall commercial development, Park Lane/L1 extension, Brownlow Hill development, Circus/Central St. development, Paddington village development,cruise liner expansion...
Once Liverpool sky rockets and starts approaching 100% potential Liverpool will clearly be the alpha regional city... expansion of airport into Mersey for global reach, extension of a commuter belt rail system, eastern expansion of city centre to Edge Hill HS rail St, integration of Birkenhead town centre/WW into city centre, River Dee Commuter tunnel bridge/tunnel, expansion of L2, northern smart city logistics centre...

·
Registered
172 Posts
However, by bringing up the issue of the slave trade 'Liverpool traded in human misery' and the cities long decline which started long before this present government policy and even the Beatles being used as proof of the cities awfulness, this point is contradicted. Liverpool's decline is nothing to do with the government it is a historical inevitability arising from the shear vileness of the city.

The life of the slave/worker in the industrial revolution cotton mill epitomised human misery. What city was at the heart of this?

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ItÂ’s airport is down to its geography and good decision making, our airport simply needs more long haul routes and ambition to connect us and the wider region including Manchester to more places and choice, it doesnÂ’t need to be the same size, perhaps in time that would be good but to double in size and become a major U.K. airport to serve the north too would be a great medium term goal.
The main reason we are smaller (much smaller) is the start MAN had, as a private airport while LPL was still governed by the London Government and, had power over it.
Our arena is one of the UKÂ’s most modern and popular and a simple expansion could see the Echo arena attract bigger names although itÂ’s doing quite well already.
Conceded but, there are no plans to expand it. At least non that I know of, so forgive me if there are plans.
My comment was in reference to the stadiums, Old Trafford being the biggest outside of London and the Etihad among the newest. And Liverpool are finally growing their stadium, peicemeal, with ugly additions. Everton are still looking to build a new stadium, with BMD the latest choice but, being impeded by a very noisy segment of the supporters of Liverpool FC. Goes back to my statement that "Scousers hate Scousers", regardless of reasons for the hatred.
Rail is frustrating but letÂ’s see that as where cities are not so much ahead but better served. Reinstating cross country links and ensuring Liverpool is no longer viewed as peripheral would go along way to changing the trajectory on that front.
So, your reasoning (excuses) above notwithsatnding, you seem to be agreeing with me, at least on this subject.
Liverpool must change the political game and smash the whole northern powerhouse nonsense which will only serve one city in the end and slightly empower even further its northwest off shoot. We must find a way of being much smarter with central government and less adversarial. The cuts to public services are bad but we cannot simply be be poster boy for that all the time as other cities have it worse and it just reinforces negative stereotypes for Liverpool.

I just donÂ’t believe LiverpoolÂ’s leaders are inspiring the people of the city to reimagine what Liverpool is and could be for the future.
But, and again, the above notwithstanding, this ^^ is just a regurgitating of the continuing complaint, sans vile, vicious personal attacks on individuals, as we see from almost every other poster on the Liverpool threads.

Your answers above though, seem to contain less negativity than your usual posts. A welcome change, IMO. However, the trick is to rally others to your cause but, you will need to have a proper plan, not just a wish list. I, genuinely, wish you luck but, nothing you have posted above gives me any great feeling of optimism.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, i'm aware of that.Yes, it is (airport/rail/arena even football, etc.) However, with exageration in mind, so is most of the posts in these threads, doesn't excuse my post though but, being in agreement is second only to vacating SSC.Agreed but, every time I tried that tack I was blown off course by the gale of negativity from others posters, some with very belligerent posts.

For goodness sake Manchester is not 50 years ahead of us, 5 at best. It’s airport is down to its geography and good decision making, our airport simply needs more long haul routes and ambition to connect us and the wider region including Manchester to more places and choice, it doesn’t need to be the same size, perhaps in time that would be good but to double in size and become a major U.K. airport to serve the north too would be a great medium term goal. Our arena is one of the UK’s most modern and popular and a simple expansion could see the Echo arena attract bigger names although it’s doing quite well already.

Rail is frustrating but let’s see that as where cities are not so much ahead but better served. Reinstating cross country links and ensuring Liverpool is no longer viewed as peripheral would go along way to changing the trajectory on that front.

I just don’t believe Liverpool’s leaders are inspiring the people of the city to reimagine what Liverpool is and could be for the future.
I agree but the airport one seems a hard one to crack without massive investment. Most scousers just seem to accept Manchester Airport is where they have to go to get outside Europe . And while scousers are prepared to travel There I can’t see the airlines being prepared to split their audience. I’ve seen a few people I know recently even book Manchester flights where Liverpool serves the same route as flight times were better.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
The main reason we are smaller (much smaller) is the start MAN had, as a private airport while LPL was still governed by the London Government and, had power over it.Conceded but, there are no plans to expand it. At least non that I know of, so forgive me if there are plans.My comment was in reference to the stadiums, Old Trafford being the biggest outside of London and the Etihad among the newest. And Liverpool are finally growing their stadium, peicemeal, with ugly additions. Everton are still looking to build a new stadium, with BMD the latest choice but, being impeded by a very noisy segment of the supporters of Liverpool FC. Goes back to my statement that "Scousers hate Scousers", regardless of reasons for the hatred.So, your reasoning (excuses) above notwithsatnding, you seem to be agreeing with me, at least on this subject.But, and again, the above notwithstanding, this ^^ is just a regurgitating of the continuing complaint, sans vile, vicious personal attacks on individuals, as we see from almost every other poster on the Liverpool threads.

Your answers above though, seem to contain less negativity than your usual posts. A welcome change, IMO. However, the trick is to rally others to your cause but, you will need to have a proper plan, not just a wish list. I, genuinely, wish you luck but, nothing you have posted above gives me any great feeling of optimism.
"I, genuinely, wish you luck but, nothing you have posted above gives me any great feeling of optimism"

How can you make that statement when you've just attempted to dismantle my clearly positive outlook on how Liverpool can shape it's future? you're doing what a lot of people seem to do on this forum (usually from outside of Liverpool threads) in finding comfort talking down Liverpool as oppose to discussing actual action to change things, accompanied by miles of typed noise across threads suggesting anyone who believes in a global, powerful future for Liverpool must have a screw loose.

Any vision for the future is a wish list and yes, it's fraught with problems and challenges but what is the point of anything if it begins from a defeatist stand point? I fear too much in Liverpool starts with that attitude and quickly ends with internal blame. We're better and greater than that and have to start believing it.

I'm all to aware of the history of the airports in the northwest but i'm also as a resident of London aware that if a city of some 7 million people can host 6 airports i'm pretty sure the northwest can handle 2 larger airports for it's population - but i'm sure the nay sayers and the negatives will reel out a myriad of reasons why the north can't host two large airports or anything else for that matter that is almost automatic in London where things are MADE to happen in the interest of that city, where ambition still thrives.

Any negativity I may be perceived as having on this forum is more frustration. I've demonstrated what my objectives and hopes for the city of Liverpool are and they have never been from an attitude of 'lets throw in the towel' which far too many people on here propagate - that's the only thing I find 'disgusting' on here.

I have to take you task on the 'disgusting' comment as it is not in a democratic world 'disgusting' to be angry and frustrated by the lack of action by your so called political figure heads. This strange stand point you have on anyone who questions the status quo in Liverpool's political arena will not win you many fans on here.

In terms of giving you optimism I fear you may be beyond that as you seem surrendered to the mind set of defeatism that infects too much of Liverpool whether that be simple comments on a forum or politics in decision making in general. You've given up on Liverpool after decades of the city on all fronts being beaten into the ground and contained and undermined for a lesser neighbouring city hell bent on taking advantage of Liverpool's clear lack of favour with London and Whitehall.

That is the reality and I refuse to fall into this mentality especially when you stand back and see how much Liverpool has changed against this backdrop and headwind from the nation it's meant to be a part of.

So with that in mind for me there is everything to play for if we can just change the game and start to remove the barriers to Liverpool being able to reach it's potential.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.