SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know historically it has a rich diversity of cultures, however a lot of these have been only fleeting. Recently i've read many critics that say Liverpool is not nearly multicultural enough for a big city. However since i moved here in september(from Hull to study at the University of Liverpool) there seems to be a lot more movement towards this. Two mosques have opened since i've been here and i've heard of many new communities moving into nearby areas(kensington etc). As only a provincial liverpudlian i must say what a fascinating and great city it is to be in and one i have truly take to my heart. I only hope the cities multiculturalism continues to grow, as i feel this plays a great role in the other major uk cities.

What's your opinion on this? As you can see i believe multiculturalism is something to be embraced, long may it prosper.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Most of Liverpool's diversity is White European, so when the accent goes this is not really evident. The problem with many news reports is that they see lots of white faces and assume everone has John Bull's blood flowing through their veins. Another problem is that they avoid Toxteth and Chinatown like the plague.

It is yet another stick picked up opon recently to hit Liverpool with. the subliminal message being put that it is some scouse racism, rather than 40 years of economic decline that accounts for the comparative lack of dark skins on our city streets. You will find that there is always a negative subtext to anything reported about Liverpool. Now that the city is improving economically you will get more immigrants coming here to improve their lives.. as you have indede experienced for yourself!

Anyway. Welcome to Liverpool! :cheers:

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
It's a tricky issue this one.

Not all cultures are complimentary or compatable leading to major problems for the host society with the arrival of the usually anti-social and personally conflicted second and third generations.

And then there's the important issue of the scale of influx.
Big= nightmare. Small= ok.

Mainly I agree with the French. Multiculturalism's shit.

Anyone from London who says Liverpool isn't multicultural enough is probably jealous.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm i disagree, a of my family originates from London and i love my time down there( i know this is not equivalent to living there). Simiarly in Liverpool, the area i'm staying next year(smithdown road) has a fanstastic mix of cultures, this is something i personally cherish. Being from Hull, a city with barely any minorities at all, i've not had much living experience of this. Of course not everyone agrees and i'm in the priviliged position of being a student, so i would not dare try and generalise my opinions to the rest of the population of liverpool. However i do feel with globilisation multiculturaism is inevitable and i for one hope it takes off in Britain.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
don't confuse multiculturalism with welcoming immigrants of other races.

Assimilation is vital, multiculturalism is appartheid by an other name... It is a terrible dogma.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
What the **** is all that waffle about VT..Get your arse up the place,meet the people and stop this fuckin college boy educated crap..very few on here have probably been nowhere near the real Toxteth but feel they can give their tuppence worth in attempting to come across as all "I know Liverpool" when in fact you know **** all about the place...I'm sick and tired of reading this shite on here...sort it out..FFS.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what Tony talks about, assimilation. Cultures living together, incorporating each other. Liverpool seems to have areas associated with immigration, whilst the rest seems barely touched.

Also i don't see why this should end in tears, yes often it can be a contentious issue but as long as nobody becomes offensive, surely exchanges of opinions are not detrimental.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
I know historically it has a rich diversity of cultures, however a lot of these have been only fleeting.
They didn't just leave though; they were absorbed into the larger population. Liverpool is a melting pot. My own ancestors come from many different places.

I don't accept the dogma that communities segregated by ethnicity represent harmonious multiculturalism - they don't. They're simply monocultural communities living side by side, and often with tensions to boot (just look at where the BNP are most successful). The aforementioned dogma is usually adopted by self-styled middle-class whites who deliberately go out of their way to try to prove they aren't racist, such as boasting that they live near some black people (you don't deserve a fucking medal for it). Another way of grandstanding is simply to accuse others of racism even when such an accusation isn't warranted, and this is why living in a mostly white area is seen as a shameful indictment on that community. Forget the fact that other ethnic groups have their own communities which they dominate in numbers, but hey that's regarded as multiculturalism.

Liverpool has a long history of ethnic diversity, longer than that of almost anywhere else in Britain. When poltroonish detractors start saying its too white or whatever, they're just showing deep ignorance of the place (not to mention their own warped racist ideology). :)

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I will repeat for you. ALL of Liverpool's districts are from healthy, mixed stock.. very multi ethnic in lineage.. it is just that it is all or mainly white, so you can't see so obviously as you would in Toxteth. All those 'untouched' areas are populated by one time Poles, Sacandanavians, Germans, Italians, Jews, Scots... and particularly Welsh and masses of Irish. Liverpool's population is a result of the city being the greatest trading metropilis for 150 years and at the centre of the greatest mass movement of people's to have yet taken place. That sort of guarentees a nice mongrel mix.

Liverpool is a wonderful example of how differnt cultures melding and assymilating can create something new and unique. Why do you think scouse exists as something different to the rest of t'noowerth? Rather than being castigated for being too white, the city should be celebrated as such a wonderful (relative!) example of racial and cultural harmony!

Most of the whites in the south east can trace their lineage all the way back to some hovel in ye olde ingerlund.. not many here can!

Then there are the Black (predominantly West African, mot Carribean), Asian (principally Chinese) and Muslim populations, most who have had a foothold in the city than most white families have been here!

Liverpool's most recent influx was by way of assylum seekers as getting a better job or improving their prospects vame secod to finding a place of refuge. We ahve also not had too many commonwealth immigrants come to Liverpool rom the same places as many other cities for three main reasons

We do not have the industries, like mills etc that attracted immigrants from Pakistan etc to many northern towns
Liverpool does not have the same links with many areas of empire as Liverpool traditionally focused on other parts of the globe
Liverpool has been flat as **** economically for 30 years, which is the main reasons immigrants move to a place. :)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
What the **** is all that waffle about VT..Get your arse up the place,meet the people and stop this fuckin college boy educated crap..very few on here have probably been nowhere near the real Toxteth but feel they can give their tuppence worth in attempting to come across as all "I know Liverpool" when in fact you know **** all about the place...I'm sick and tired of reading this shite on here...sort it out..FFS.

No Comment then ?....Not surprising seeing few hardly know the place,is it.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
I've been to and around Toxteth more times than I can possibly remember, as I used to always visit my grandmother who lived there. I haven't been recently though.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay i wasn't asking the question again, i was answering VT.

I'm not doubting Liverpool's ethic mix, i've just heard a lot of people doubting it recently, some even suggesting that it takes away from its capital of culture title.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Well what Tony talks about, assimilation. Cultures living together, incorporating each other. Liverpool seems to have areas associated with immigration, whilst the rest seems barely touched.

Also i don't see why this should end in tears, yes often it can be a contentious issue but as long as nobody becomes offensive, surely exchanges of opinions are not detrimental.
Sounds wonderful.

It isn't multiculturalism you're describing though. It's the opposite.

Unfortunately, there isn't one example of good, city-wide ethnic assimilation in Western Europe or the US. This just isn't the way people behave. People clan. People hate. Big problem.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Okay i wasn't asking the question again, i was answering VT.

I'm not doubting Liverpool's ethic mix, i've just heard a lot of people doubting it recently, some even suggesting that it takes away from its capital of culture title.
Try directing your questions toward people with their finger on the pulse so to speak,those that know the people of Toxteth and live with them on a daily basis,you'll find about 3 on this forum,and I include myself in that 3..

Hope you find what you're looking for...best of..G.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, it was my first post, was just directing it to anyone really. I've walked around parts of toxteth myself lots of lovely buildings there (the synagogue there is especially astounding).

I realise these kind of threads can be seen as controversial, this was not my intention at all.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Sorry, it was my first post, was just directing it to anyone really. I've walked around parts of toxteth myself lots of lovely buildings there (the synagogue there is especially astounding).

I realise these kind of threads can be seen as controversial, this was not my intention at all.

Hello albionfagan,You've no need to be sorry,I'm sorry for maybe getting a little heated over this, but frankly I'm fed up with Idiots on here going on about Liverpool purely for the sake of looking clever when they have not got a clue what they are on about..If I can help in anyway about Toxteth then send me a PM....I'd be glad to help you...I live here see..I know the place...Duuhhhh :nuts:

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
If you need any pics albionfagan down any part of Tocky by the way..let me know..I'll get you the best shots....no probs...:eek:kay:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts