Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so much spin as practical spin off.

So many ideas and inspirations, hopes and dreams to make a positive difference should not be lost but harnessed and made real.....a rare quality.

Not just thoughts but deeds and action.....and hopefully making a difference.

The skills and knowledge on this forum should not be under estimated.

There is a deep under lying sense of creativity and philosphy chicken and egg.

Regeneration and renewal.

Perhaps not unlike a Co-Operative.

The 21st Century Society is I think but one step.

Liverpools Idea Village might be the next.....arts, craft, tourism, design, living, ecotecture?

Organic solutions? Sensible Solutions? Outlandish Solutions? Solutions.
First world, second world, third world, fourth world, One world? Choice?

Media, theatre, word and poetry, film and image?

Villages sometimes grow into cities.....a bit like doing a Quiggins!

Liverpools European City of Culture title is `The World in one city` maybe and also it should be `One City in the World making a difference`.

Let`s hope so. :) :cheers:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Excellent idea Pie... in essence that has to be a main task taken on by 21CL.. to generate ideas and provide an environment for them to be explored further... within contexts of urbanism, metropolitanism and international revival we have agreed.... hopefully then we can help take it to the next level (with others) as some sort of incubator... testing or developing the ideas further, or turning them into real 'products'.... Hopefully most people will grasp what we are talking about (say on the beach and tourism enterprise opportunities, should we do something on them) and just get off and do stuff!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Good thread, Pie.

I am re-posting this from another thread (where it didnt belong). You can't move in Liverpool for funny money - mainly of the public subsidy form, and a fat clique of quangocrats who never made it elsewhere but do nicely enough thank you. But where is the business leadership? The Government requires business membership on boards of many quangos, but in truth real businesses are busy making money, and you end up with the useless **** who has the time to go and do "good works" or the public sector officials who masquerade as business representatives (eg working for Chambers of Commerce or similar groups). Liverpool is really crying out now for some leadership on how to build and grow enterprise. Real, profit-making, red-in-claw, businesses. It's got a low base, it's right there should be some subsidy, some public investment, some support - but it needs to be creative, challenging and actually build on realistic prospects. My idea (repeated below) may not be a good one, I don't know, but I think it's better than organisations like the Fucking Arts Council sponsoring a self-congratulatory Evaluation of the Liverpool Fucking Model. For God's Sake. It's beyond satire. Can't these people just think of ways of growing the real economy and work at doing that?

---

"On a more serious note, I think this is where the city is being badly let down by some of the second-rate form-fillers, bid-winners and partnership professionals who "manage" its fate.

City of Culture should be an opportunity to develop a craft-based and high quality souvenir industry in Liverpool - people who can work in their own businesses, or in co-operatives or small businesses, designing and making souvenirs out of perspex, acrylic, metal, wood, pottery, glass, cloth, paper etc. I don't mean "art" (like the things you used to be able to buy in the shop at the back of the Bluecoat, which was closed last time I tried to visit it, on a Saturday, which says it all really), but genuine souvenirs - like for example model Liver Birds.

This is were organisations like the Design Council and Arts Council should be involved (the latter, having transferred its Liverpool office to Manchester, seem to think it appropriate that its contribution to City of Culture is a back-slapping piece of evaluation!!!!), to help stimulate Liverpool's artists and craftspeople to start making things that visitors want to buy. Those same artists and craftspeople should be given a hand-up in this - for example free exhibition and sales space in the Capital of Culture shop (which last time I went into was selling the most ABHORRANT tat possible). There should be a Capital of Culture funded competition for locally based craftspeople / designers who can manufacture unique and attractive souvenirs that could retail for less than a tenner.

Also, by linking with organisations like DWP and JET and the Learning and Skills Council, these same designers / artists / craftspeople should be subsidised in taking on apprentices and assistants, to grow their business. And the Small Business Service / Business Link etc should be providing special assistance to them in not only gearing up for 2008, but a diversification strategy.........After all, if they can successfully design affordable souvenirs (that are not simply the Chinese-manufactured tat on sale in the Albert Dock) for Liverpool, then they can do it for anywhere in the world. Liverpool could then get a new cultural industry, one that creates high quality design and manufacturing jobs in real businesses".

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Good post and good move poli

Another area that the city must look at to generate long term, 'sustainable' economic growth is the environment, small holdings, food and other locally derived produce ass an important and complementary basis from which to build international prevalence (I do not believe in the albanian model of 'self sufficiency' and in a sustainable world global trade and communication will be as viable and desirable as at present!) There is also the other hi-tech end to sustainable development.... I subscribe the the US take on this... we do not have to go back to the Holy Roman Empire to look for sustainable patterns of living.... technology is a mine field for the city to explore.

There are loads of areas in the search for the sustainable vibrant city... so what do forumers think?

A little gem I have just found is on the River Cottage website
http://www.bigbarn.co.uk/rivercotta...IVERPOOL&place=liverpool&S=25&SearchBB=Search

It is a map and list of sources of locally produced and organic food from the metro area. Keep an eye out for the programme too... ... great stuff.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Great thread, will keep an eye on this one!

Tony, I was just going to bring up the subject of sustainably managed and locally grown organic produce - but you beat me to it. My wife and I have been trying to buy good quality, locally produced food (especially meat) for over a year now, and are stuggling to find local suppliers. I'd had a look on the river cottage map before and although it's useful, it's depressing to see that there's virtually nothing in the way of organic meat within a few miles of the city. We're planning to check out the Foxhill pig farm in Halewood soon, but beyond that we're looking in to ordering meat directly from a farm in Yorkshire, I just wish there was somewhere closer.

Liverpool has great potential in this area, it just needs a few people to take a few risks to realise it, why not convert sections of the old garden festival site into organic farms supplying Liverpool? Anyone know of anywhere else I'm missing? Where do you buy yours?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
It is indicative of the huge opportunities and markets that just aren't tapped in Liverpool. We discussed the tourism offer, as well the local leisure amenities like the beaches, but the list just goes on and on.

We had a bit of discussion about enterprise at the last 21CL meeting and whilst it is understood that you cannot teach people to be enterpreneurs... it is vital that we raise the spectre that it exists! There are loads of entrepreneurial peole doing other things.. or even sitting on their arses... not an oxymoron... just another symptom of how far down Liverpool slipped over twenty odd years!

There are a few box schemes etc that I will try and find details and contacts for as I did notice there was some missing details on the river cottage site... they make no mention of London Rds farmers market for instance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts