Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Liverpools Quartiers

We've already worked out LCC can't count, or have misinterpreted the term quarter (where answers .com have the first definition of a quarter as One of four equal parts) - ok, I've been corrected on this.

Anyway we can have a list, or better still a map of where they are all supposed to be? Or at least what streets form thier bondries?

Get drawing on this - the map came from here

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
In this context the English word "quarter" is an Anglicisation of the French "quartier", meaning a place where people are billeted, often in a military context. This has entered the Engish language in words and expressions such as headquarters and officers' quarters. There can be as many of them as you like - after all nobody expects as military HQ to be split into four parts.

Again, in French, "quartier", as in the English "quarter", the words can refer to any district where people live. The nearest translations of the French word "quartier" is neighbourhood or district. The French word for quarter is "quart", not "quartier".

So there's no need for folks to get worked up about Liverpool possessing more than four quarters. Like Paris with its 400(!) official quartiers, not including some, e.g., the Latin Quarter, that overlap with other "official quarters", Liverpool can invent in infinite number of previously nonexistant quarters, if it so chooses!

·
Registered
211 Posts
latest addition is the 'mobile phone quarter' - around the (now defunct) podium in Church Street - Orange, Phones4U, Carphone warehouse etc all within yards of each other

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, my mistake, but still, anyone elling nice enough to point some official ones out?

I'm especially thinking the whereabouts of:
Ropewalks
The Independant Quarter
The Georgian Quarter
China Town as it stands now

any others?

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
They're not very far from each other, and may even overlap (on the south side of town): Ropewalks is centred around Duke Street, the Georgian Quarter around Rodney Street and Chinatown around Nelson Street. I'm not sure about the Independent Quarter. Throw in the Baltic Triangle and you can see how confusing it all gets. Who's to say what's what? We do need clearer definitions.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
The link below gives a bit of info on some of these areas. Some of these are historic areas that have been used to describe the approximate area where new developments/regeneration are/is taking place.

liverpoolvision actionareas

There is quite a lot of documents within this website, with various plans old and new in there like this one below, taken from a pdf file.

26/07/2000. Notice all the blocks potential development sites, as well as the more detailed proposals....! :runaway:

·
Just something
9,070 Posts
All raindrops in the `Pool of Life` .....

Wormella said:
Ok, my mistake, but still, anyone elling nice enough to point some official ones out?

Ropewalks
The Independant Quarter
The Georgian Quarter

any others?
Cavern (Beatles) Quarter - where it all began ..... (literally.)
METQuarter.....(Will Cafe Rouge turn pink?)
GAY Quarter.....(MetroSexual.)

Heritage Quarter (Museums & Art Gallery & St Georges Hall etc)

Hope Street Quarter......
http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/actionareas/hopestreet.asp
`Hope Street connects the city's core to its main cultural, spiritual and educational quarter.`

Garden Quarter (Eden Square.....etc)
`Eden Square will become Liverpool’s new Garden Quarter.`
http://www.investmerseyside.com/news.asp?id=38
http://www.artfullodger-liverpool.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=775

Commercial Quarter (Central Business District) and St Pauls Square etc

The city has four distinct food quarters: (Liverpool Resturant Guide,)
City Centre...
Hope Street...
Ropewalks/Chinatown...
South Liverpool...(Lark Lane not included..... :bash: )
To contact the `Liverpool Resturant Group` please email:
[email protected]

·
Just something
9,070 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
There is a lot of tree/grass lined boulevarderie going on in that image. Notice the Tunnel entrance/carpark with development on-top, and lack of flyovers, could be interesting.
It was decided some time ago that the flyovers should probably be best removed (like Birkenhead) as it was preventing city centre expansion and was a barrier to growth in the area.....including expansion to the museums and art gallery etc.

It`s going to be very interesting to see what is being proposed for `New Islington.`

I always did like the views from the buses though as they went over the `Churchill North and South flyovers.`

I can see `New Islington` further pushing developments towards `Leeds Street` and past LJMU.....and along `Scottie.`

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Wormella said:

Ropewalks
The Independant Quarter
The Georgian Quarter

any others?
Garden Quarter, around Hatton Garden :)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Great pic, I do like the greening of William Brown St, Linking the gardens with the Museum/library and removing much traffic would improve the area 100%.

·
Just something
9,070 Posts

·
Liverpool, England.
12,703 Posts
I like that picture, obviously an old proposal from before the Unite and Travelodge buildings were built.

There was a proposal to build over the tunnel entrance back in the 60s. I can't see the proposal coming to anything as it would obscure the Art Deco tunnel entrance.

I like the idea of putting some buildings on the rear of the Picton block and give it a proper street elevation onto Islington. Still plenty of development sites in Liverpool.

·
Just something
9,070 Posts
Martin S said:
I like that picture, obviously an old proposal from before the Unite and Travelodge buildings were built.

There was a proposal to build over the tunnel entrance back in the 60s. I can't see the proposal coming to anything as it would obscure the Art Deco tunnel entrance.

I like the idea of putting some buildings on the rear of the Picton block and give it a proper street elevation onto Islington. Still plenty of development sites in Liverpool.
That picture also assumes the removal of the TGWU building as well Martin and makes it look like a normal junction again.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woody said:
Garden Quarter, around Hatton Garden :)
I'd love to know exaclt how far this would stretch. We're round the corner from Hatton Garden, in a development called Princes Gardens - would we count?

·
Just something
9,070 Posts
Wormellas Garden Quarter ......

Wormella said:
I'd love to know exaclt how far this would stretch. We're round the corner from Hatton Garden, in a development called Princes Gardens - would we count?
Tell fibbs and say you are until someone says you aren`t ...... :runaway:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts