1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[more]

200 officers to enforce Liverpool smoking ban
by Paula Owens, Liverpool Daily Post

A 200-STRONG council hit squad will patrol Liverpool’s pubs and restaurants for illegal smokers on Sunday – the largest such clampdown in the country.

Cafes, shops and other public places will also be visited throughout the day by the “smokefree ambassadors”, staff from Liverpool City Council and the city’s Primary Care Trust, who have been specially trained to conduct the exercise.

In what is believed to be the only exercise of its scale in the country, the emphasis in Liverpool will lie on education and high visibility. At this stage, no fixed penalty fines will be handed out.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too. Regardless of the health issues, the smell of tobacco makes me feel quite ill at times.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Me too Bams. I like pubs and booze but am quite sensitive to smoke. I'm looking forward it bigstyle.

However, there probably will be a few casualties amongst the more old-fashioned pubs, which are the sort of place that is disappearing anyway. Modern day, Harvester-style restaurant-pubs make me want to set fire to potplants but they are the future.

·
Registered
13,975 Posts
I'm looking forward to it too.

I've been made to sit in smokey pubs for too long now, but really all that will happen for a while is that I'm now going to have to sit outside with my smoking mates in the cold. Hopefully that wont last long and they will want to go back to their usual haunts.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
I can't wait, as I've always said having a 'smoking section' in a pub or restaurant is about as useful as having a 'pissing section' in a swimming pool.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Not speaking with wisdom bearing hindsight.... as a long time smoker I supported the notion from the start, helping the smoke free liverpool people where poss. It is a filthy though attractive habit!

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Everywhere is a pissing section in the baths, Tom, you know that.

On a similar note... Sorry for those who have read this before. Well, we get new forumers all the time and I've only got two stories.

When I worked in the Funhouse in Southport Fair one of its attractions was a big pool full of different coloured balls for children to play in. You know the sort of thing - they have them in those terrifying "Wacky Warehouse" pubs.

Well, one day some little bastard decided that he wanted to do his plop plops in there. One or more of those balls was brown and squishey and no one knew where it was.

I immediately took the opportunity to clock off and get the hell out off there. If someone was going to have to dive into that pool searching for shite, it wasn't going to be me.

Anyway, the longer I've thought about it, the more convinced I have become that the perpetrator of this repulsive misdemeanor was Accy.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I'll go to pubs more once the smoke is gone. However, there is an equal menace - noise. Pubs need to take noise abatement measures - which includes putting carpet back instead of wooden floors, and turning music down. Unless it's a young persons pub it's just a pointless thing to do and I am sure drives customers away. I won't go to an excessively noisy pub if I want to hear conversation, because my hearing isn't up to it and I can't follow conversations if the background noise is too high. I used to successfully ask staff to turn music down in most pubs (not all), but these days in London most of the staff don't understand what you are talking about so I don't bother.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Being a smoker I don't mind this smoking ban at all as when Im with my mates in the pub I usually go outside for a *** anyway as I don't want to pollute them with my smoke.
It's nice to get some fresh air when your a pub aswell.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to the Telegraph today, Three of the 10 Primary Care Trust areas with the highest level of smoking-related admissions are in Merseyside - Knowsley, Liverpool and Sefton.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
According to the Telegraph today, Three of the 10 Primary Care Trust areas with the highest level of smoking-related admissions are in Merseyside - Knowsley, Liverpool and Sefton.
I am all for this smoking ban, but why some smokers go on about nanny state and civil liberties and freedoms being lost.

It's the other way around, i and all non smokers will be gaining freedom not to breath in deadly smoke in public places. Smokers are still free to smoke, just not in places where the majority (non-smokers) have to work and visit.

The public house is the biggest issue, but from a point that the smokers own all these places and non smokers are allowed to go in, but if they don't like the smoke they can go somewhere else....., erm like where....! all the other pubs with smokers in them with the same attitude.

July 1st 2007, human rights, civil liberties, and freedom gained for all non-smokers...:banana:

Now i know the tone of the above can come across wrong, but i'm no anti-smoking zealot who curses smokers, i don't complain when i go to pubs and clubs full of smoke, i have to put up with it and have done for years, breathed it in, stunk of it all over my clothes, etc.

So good luck to all those smokers who wish to quit, those who don't can still enjoy smoking in the fresh air, and paying lots of tax on each packet if they wish. :cheers:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Agree fully, though the pasive smoking stuff is entirely bogus... if tobacco smoke was THAT toxic anyone who actually tried inhaling it would be dead by the third drag!

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
Being able to nip in somewhere for a pint and coming out not smelling like an ash tray is good.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Good time to ..............

Not speaking with wisdom bearing hindsight.... as a long time smoker I supported the notion from the start, helping the smoke free liverpool people where poss. It is a filthy though attractive habit!
Fully agree Tony, me as a long time smoker ,enjoyed my LAST *** ( no wisecracks:lol: ) yesterday in SSC office= Dr. Duncans :cheers: along with a couple having a last ciggy party.:nuts:

It is a dirty habit and one which has seen me go "smoke free" today, so I am going to deprive that scrooge Darling :bash: a pot of tax revenue:banana:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts