Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe Ljubljana is the smallest Yugoslav capital. I know Belgrade is the largest, Zagreb is a close second, Sarajevo is a fairly distant third...anyhow - my point is, Ljubljana is often regarded with the same status as Prague and other great central European cities, yet it is minute in size and population compared to Prague. The whole of Ljubljana could fit nicely inside Prague's Old Town. I think it is a wonderful compliment to the city, one that can't be shrugged off as "It's a capital city, of course it's admired" - because, whether we like to admit it or not, as far as many Western Europeans are concerned - Africa begins at Trieste. ;)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an interesting place in terms of Bosnian-Slovenian relations. They've been strained, of course, because of the banking scandal. Yugoslavia fell apart and they decided to keep everything our citizens had placed in the Bank of Ljubljana; it's died down now, though, I assume it was corrected.

But - Ljubljana is the only EU capital city without a single mosque, and most of the Slovenia's 13,000 Bosniaks live in/work in Ljubljana. There's been an ongoing campaign for quite some time to get permission to construct a mosque reasonably close to Ljubljana. Of course, there's a tremendous amount of tension. The Slovenians don't even want to give Bosniaks, Croats, and Serbs living there Slovenian citizenship, much less start building them roots: www.dzamija.si

Anyhow, all of this is related to the funniest protest poster I've ever seen. "Hey Slovenia! Keep our money, and build us a mosque!" That and a JA SAM ZA MIR poster that someone added "Jana Markovic" to the end of...LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mila, when you speak about Slovenians, you seem to forget about many of us, that support mosque and so called "erased". Not long ago I posted a thread on this subject, which my Serbian friends will definately remember. So please, don't speak in a "Slovenians this" and "Slovenians that" manner, since quite many of us don't share extremely idiotic point of view that has been forced by the ex-oposition before elections --- just to get the votes of simple uneducated people, that don't even LIVE in Ljubljana and yet are so strongly against such thing as mosque IN Ljubljana. And that's not even the only thing....the same rural right-wing political supporters mind many other trivial things....starting with the 24/7 shops, which according to ex-oposition is such a problematic thing that we need a national referendum, which we had.......anyway: what I was trying to say is that I don't want to have anything with Slovene right-wing rural people, so next time you speak of Slovenes, please be more specific....."Slovenes (except bziherl)" is fine for start :)

As far as it goes for me, you can build mosque right next to my doorsteps, and you can bet, whatever you wish, that I won't mind a bit.

Still....nice photos! :)

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Beautiful city...i can't wait to visit it this summer.

Mila, I don't think a mosque would figure nicely into the skyline of Ljubljana...its not that kind of city;)

And little correction...Sarajevo is a distant FOURTH in size of Yugoslav capitals.
Skoplje, with 600-700.000, is a little bigger than Sarajevo.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even think their point of view is that idiotic, Bzi. I actually would support either side in this, whichever wins in the end is fine by me. In a perfect world, I guess the erased would be welcomed into society and a mosque would be built - but in a perfect world, the reasons the Slovenians avoid this also wouldn't exist...so it depends. I think building Slovenia's first mosque at a time of such intense nationalism on all sides is a mistake, it's like the new (old) church in Banja Luka, it wouldn't be for the right reasons.

As for saying "Slovenian this" and "Slovenian that" - yes, I did, and I'm sorry. I didn't choose my words carefully enough. Of course I don't think all Slovenians think the same way about any subject, and I didn't meant to convey that I did - but yes, that is what I said - so sorry. :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the only capital in the European Union without one, Kommandant. ;) So if it works in Athens, Rome, Warsaw, and everywhere else - it can work in Ljubljana. I don't they're asking to put a King Fahd Mosque in the Dragon Bridge. ;) Just a discrete mosque in the suburbs.

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
Hey, I support those right-wingers! ;)

Anyway, I totally support the efforts to build a mosque. I am a bit weary on Slovenian citizenship issue, and I would like to see a case-to-case study not an automatically granted citizenship to everyone of the "erased". Then again, makes you wonder why in the first place didn't they apply like everyone else did in 1991..

Anyway, so much for politics..

I think that Ljubljana is an awesome city, and really deserves to be the capital! I miss some skyscrapers though.. :(

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
bziherl said:
Mila, when you speak about Slovenians, you seem to forget about many of us, that support mosque and so called "erased". Not long ago I posted a thread on this subject, which my Serbian friends will definately remember. So please, don't speak in a "Slovenians this" and "Slovenians that" manner, since quite many of us don't share extremely idiotic point of view that has been forced by the ex-oposition before elections --- just to get the votes of simple uneducated people, that don't even LIVE in Ljubljana and yet are so strongly against such thing as mosque IN Ljubljana. And that's not even the only thing....the same rural right-wing political supporters mind many other trivial things....starting with the 24/7 shops, which according to ex-oposition is such a problematic thing that we need a national referendum, which we had.......anyway: what I was trying to say is that I don't want to have anything with Slovene right-wing rural people, so next time you speak of Slovenes, please be more specific....."Slovenes (except bziherl)" is fine for start :)

As far as it goes for me, you can build mosque right next to my doorsteps, and you can bet, whatever you wish, that I won't mind a bit.

Still....nice photos! :)

Superb post :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"You start in the south, at Skopje's ancient Turkish marketplace. The polished marble streets, lined by quaint Ottoman shops, are a virtual oasis in a city that still feels as hastily put together, and temporary, as the first shelters that went up after an earthquake all but leveled the city a decade ago. From there to Sarajevo, the jewel of Yugoslavia. Everything beautiful, sweet, and good about the Orient found a permanant home in the Mijacka river valley; a home enriched by the Hapsburgs and beloved by all who taste it's sweet spring water. The capital, Belgrade. Maintained by pride of every crack in every wall, it is a city I remember with undiluted pleasure. To Zagreb, where the red star is not embraced, and barely tolerated. From the crowded marketplace, to the crowded square, a city teaming with life. And from that city, with memories of Belgrade and the south, one imagines it would be impossible to make the slightest improvement on all that has been experienced: and then Ljubljana. There has never been a true word written of Ljubljana, and there never will be a true word captured. Any writer who tries to cage the essence of this city with the petty language of men has failed before they begin."
- Samra Nuhira, Tunisian writer

·
Registered
478 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:
Beautiful city...i can't wait to visit it this summer.

Mila, I don't think a mosque would figure nicely into the skyline of Ljubljana...its not that kind of city;)

And little correction...Sarajevo is a distant FOURTH in size of Yugoslav capitals.
Skoplje, with 600-700.000, is a little bigger than Sarajevo.
Source?

I just typed at google 'skopje population' and a bunch of results came up.

All of them showed a population about 440.000. It seems the last official figure comes from 1994: 448,229 (http://www.macedonia.co.uk/mcic/aboutmacedonia/people/people.asp)

So your estimate is a bit off I think or the population of the city almost doubled in about 10 years... ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
^^Yah, tried that but couldn't find anything on the first page... didn't care enough to contine to the second. Oh well... ;)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm agreeing with SpotlessMind. :yes: From all the sources that I have checked, the population varies from 400.000 - 450.000 . :dunno: If you think about it logically, how can the "600.000 - 700.000" like KM said, fit in this area? :dunno:

As you can see, the city doesn't have the "most" density either.

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
MIMICA said:
I'm agreeing with SpotlessMind. :yes: From all the sources that I have checked, the population varies from 400.000 - 450.000 . :dunno: If you think about it logically, how can the "600.000 - 700.000" like KM said, fit in this area? :dunno:

As you can see, the city doesn't have the "most" density either.
Propaganda, know how it goes, we got bigger this and that, and than they start to show there houses, you build bigger house, than they show there cars, than you buy bigger car, than they start showing there woman folk, than you give up and show you d**k and he gives up, stale-mate, lol :hahaha: :hilarious

1 - 20 of 33 Posts