SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rather than just locking a thread - couldnt it just be moved to the proper section and continue discussion there? seems rather counter productive to just end a discussion while its at the top and just say 'wrong forum.' just my thoughts.

though, this is probably the wrong forum. could be done in a PM, but we have five mods for this forum. who knows who reads this one?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Where are the locked threads supposed to be....I don't want to put a thread in the wrong place?!

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know. but they could just move them to the right forum.

when you got to 'lock thread' you just have to view one more screen to scroll one forum down to move the thread. :p

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
Where are the locked threads supposed to be....I don't want to put a thread in the wrong place?!
I think alot of the threads that are locked are suppose to be in the projects and constructions room.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree, those were good threads. I didn't see "Charlotte in 2010" as being a "Projects and Construction" thread at first, though I guess I can see the connection now. I'd rather have seen it moved than locked.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ i dont see it as one either simply becasue it is a plan of action about the city. its not really anything that's really u/c. its an old plan that is rather dead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agreed, likewise the thread on Downtown Raleigh adding 10,000 units is an estimate that the city leaders are expecting in the next 10 years. We aren't talking so much about a single project as much as we are talking about the urban fabric of a city for the next 10 years. Is there a such thing as a "Wrong Forum" when forum members are finding it and actively engaging in a discussion about it?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I started a thread that was locked, just recently. I PM'd Jason asking why and he PM'd back that it was in the wrong subforum. He offered to move it for me and unlock it, but I thought it had "run its course" and said that I didn't mind if it just stayed locked. He was totally fair with me I felt. It was "Why no cries of 'fill in the gap' for Frankfurt?" and is now fallen to page 3.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
LOCK THIS THREAD!!!

ooooooooooooooooooooh, the irony.

-

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i locked those threads.

i used to move threads but after a while of moving them (most from the same repeat offenders), i just close them. i have given plenty of warnings and even made a sticky telling people to put threads in the proper place. it's still there, btw. this forum (south) is the only one with its own P&C subforum and how hard is it to just put those threads where they belong in the first place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah I'm glad they're locked. Personally I'd much rather see a bullshit kiddie thread in the proper forum than an informative and lively discussion in the wrong forum. I sleep easier at night knowing that what I read was at least categorized correctly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
P&C Subforum in the South is Unnceccesary

I posted this thread a while back because I truely believe the P&C subforum is unneccesary and creates confusion. Often times threads are not purely about p&c topics. It can be discouraging to post something in the p&C subforum and then see it receive little recognition or post something in the main forum and see it get locked.

·
Registered
765 Posts
astro said:
P&C Subforum in the South is Unnceccesary

I posted this thread a while back because I truely believe the P&C subforum is unneccesary and creates confusion. Often times threads are not purely about p&c topics. It can be discouraging to post something in the p&C subforum and then see it receive little recognition or post something in the main forum and see it get locked.
I agree. All the quality discussions are in P&C while b.s. topics and vs threeads end up in the regular forum.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think P&C is fine for threads that deal with specific buildings or projects (i.e., "New X-story tower in Anywhereville). But it's really hard to judge sometimes whether something's really P&C or not.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
if it were up to be, i would do away with the P&C subforum and just have it like the other regional forums. they seem to be just fine with out them.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Some threads that were locked did not belong in the PC forum, but where they were posted, which was the SE forum.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
how about a compromise? official threads for city projects?

for example: Atlanta, Birmingham, Houston, Charlotte, Miami...one thread per city for projects, no P&C, all project info and commentary goes on that thread, exceptions maybe going to major announcements...

if you'd look at the Glasgow subforum on UK, they've got something like that going, and it seems to work really well.

-

1 - 20 of 28 Posts