1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not alone!!:love: Found this on BBC site:
"
Loiners of the world unite!
Natives of Leeds are known as Loiners and there are several theories as to the origin of the term but nobody can be certain where the word comes from.

Here are three competing theories.

- Loiner could derive from the name Loidis (in use by the eighth century for the district around modern-day Leeds).

- Another explanation says that in the 19th century there were many yards and closes around Briggate whose back entrances were known as Low Ins or Loins, hence Loiner.

- Yet a third theory is that there were a number of lanes in the Briggate area pronounced loins in the local accent. People who gathered in these loins to gossip were therefore called Loiners.

As well as meaning a citizen of Leeds, the word was used as a nickname applied to Leeds RLFC before the Super League team became the modern Rhinos.

Following on from the old Loidis name the settlement on the banks of the Aire changed its spelling gradually to Ledes or Leedes and currently, of course, Leeds.

Ledes was mentioned in the famous survey, the Domesday Book, in 1086. Other local areas named included, Halton, Sacroft, Hedingleia, Bramleia, Beestone and Hunslet.

The first centre of Leeds was a cluster of buildings near the parish church of St Peter in Kirkgate. In the early 1200s a new town was founded west of the parish church towards the corn mills around the river crossing. Its main thoroughfare was a new road, Briggate (meaning the road leading to the bridge). Almost a thousand years later Briggate remains the street at the centre of the city.
"
Ohhh 1,000 years old. Did not realise the city went back that far. Hello Loiners!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is it just me or do you think Loidis is a much better name than Leeds? As much as I love the city, it has god awful name.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I thought you were going to suggest a Leeds forumer meet! there are certainly plenty of us, several older faces (in a manner of speaking) and lots of newbies who are all graciously welcomed. Alphaxion, Ahmedd and myself met for a pint before Xmas, but it would be nice to put a few faces to names some time this summer. If we do, then I suggest the Cross Keys to be opened in Round Foundry later this summer - tribute to the growth of HUV!

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,342 Posts
Likewise! I will schedule a return visit to Leeds when a date is announced. As a new forum member it'd be great to put faces to user names!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sounds too much like Londis though... (if you know Leeds well youll know what that is)

Leeds is fine I think. City of Leeds sounds better though:D

·
6,904 Posts
jimbo said:
I thought you were going to suggest a Leeds forumer meet! there are certainly plenty of us, several older faces (in a manner of speaking) and lots of newbies who are all graciously welcomed. Alphaxion, Ahmedd and myself met for a pint before Xmas, but it would be nice to put a few faces to names some time this summer. If we do, then I suggest the Cross Keys to be opened in Round Foundry later this summer - tribute to the growth of HUV!
It's time we had another gathering, and Holbeck urban Village would be a good venue. Keep us all informed when the Cross Keys is open, then we'll arrange to meet up.

·
Registered
13,910 Posts
Leedsfella said:
Sounds too much like Londis though... (if you know Leeds well youll know what that is)

Leeds is fine I think. City of Leeds sounds better though:D
Dont knock Londis lol!
I dont like the name Leeds too much, but to me its the city that matters more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts