Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's going? I'm pretty stoked, it's gonna be an awesome time. Kinda bummed that I won't be able to see the Beastie Boys, but more bummed about MCA, definitely hope the best for him. Does anyone know who's replacing them? Haven't been able to find that info anywhere.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I wanted to see Rise Against on Saturday...but it's gonna be 90 degrees! I can think of a dozen better places I'd want to be than outside with a bunch of sweaty, probably shirtless, men. I hate those outdoor festivals...I much prefer the smaller, intimate clubs

·
less is more
978 Posts
It seems Lollapalooza 2009 was a huge success.

Lou Reed, The Killers rock Chicago's Lollapalooza

By Ros Krasny

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Chicago took a Dogg walk on the wild side on Sunday when rock legend Lou Reed and rapper Snoop Dogg took the stage at opposite ends of the Lollapalooza music festival.

The three-day event had a hefty dose of nostalgia this year with Reed, 67, joining 1980s electronic band Depeche Mode and Jane's Addiction with original lineup among the headliners.

Some 85,000 fans endured rain on Friday and sweltering heat on Sunday in downtown Chicago's Grant Park to listen to more than 140 bands and artists appearing on eight stages, including the offspring of a Beatle: George Harrison's son Dhani and his band TheNewNo2

RECESSION PROOF

This year's "Lolla" was put on in the middle of a deep recession which has savaged discretionary spending for many.

Poor ticket sales and lost sponsorships has forced the cancellation of music festivals from Florida to San Francisco to Scotland this year.

But Perry Farrell, Lollapalooza's impresario and Jane's Addition front-man, told local media this week that the popular event is "recession proof."

Ticket sales approaching 230,000 proved him right, and merchandise vendors reported strong traffic as well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5790FF20090810

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was there all three days. It was a ton of fun, as usual.

Yes, it was hot. Yes, it rained on Friday. No, I didn't really care.

It was really cool to hear all the different musicians all comment on how awesome Chicago and the skyline are.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
But Perry Farrell, Lollapalooza's impresario and Jane's Addition front-man, told local media this week that the popular event is "recession proof."

Ticket sales approaching 230,000 proved him right, and merchandise vendors reported strong traffic as well.
Lollapalooza is an inferior good - many of those concert-goers probably spent more money on vacations and electronics and other expensive discretionaries last year. I would bet that the average income of the Lolla visitor increased dramatically this year.

I went Saturday and Sunday, and had an amazing time. The best part, as usual, was discovering bands I hadn't yet heard; Kaiser Chiefs and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, as well as TV on the Radio. I've also waited 3 years to see a Rise Against show (I'm never in Chicago when they do a show), so it was great to finally see them.

Northsider: the crowd at Rise Against was surprisingly light, considering the huge stage they were booked at. I was pretty close to the stage but had plenty of breathing room.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Northsider: the crowd at Rise Against was surprisingly light, considering the huge stage they were booked at. I was pretty close to the stage but had plenty of breathing room.
Damn, too bad I had to miss them. They are seriously a great band and put on a great live show. Last venue I saw them at was Congress (horrible sound, horrible balcony), and this show was outside. I hope they come back and play at the Vic, Riv, Aragon, or Metro.

·
Registered
148 Posts
LOL, dude, everybody says that, in every city they visit. It's gets real old hearing bands say that.
It's a little different when they're saying how cool it is to be playing in the same spot as Obama's acceptance speech, or commenting on how cool the skyline looks when everyone can turn around and see the skyline and agree for themselves that it's a pretty cool setting.

It's not like I'm getting all jacked because AC/DC was telling the crowd at the Palace of Auburn Hills how much they love Detroit.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
It's a little different when they're saying how cool it is to be playing in the same spot as Obama's acceptance speech, or commenting on how cool the skyline looks when everyone can turn around and see the skyline and agree for themselves that it's a pretty cool setting.

It's not like I'm getting all jacked because AC/DC was telling the crowd at the Palace of Auburn Hills how much they love Detroit.
HAha, I know. But I'd love to believe bands because I truly feel Chicago is one of the US's premier cities...but I've heard it so many times it's ridiculous. I mean, if every band meant what they said, Chicago would be the music capital of the country. At Milwaukee's Summerfest, every band thinks Milwaukee is the "best city they ever played at"...it's just so cliche. Jerry Only of the Misfits "loved chicago so much he and his fiance were thinking of moving here"...cmon, bands don't need to patronize us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts