Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Developer: Rain City

Architect: Tim Groom

120149/FO/2018 | Erection of 7 to 8 storey residential building (Class C3) to provide 41 apartments ( 7 x 1-bedroom 1-person apartments, 6 x 1-bedroom 2-person apartments, 28 x 2-bedroom 4-person apartments) with associated landscaping and other works. | Car Park Between 53 And 65 Ducie Street Manchester M1 2JQ

Remember the image posted in the Gossip thread... ;)

·
Registered
26,720 Posts
This. Right here.

This is why Tim Groom are heads over heals better than the majority of architects out there. They've looked at the historical grain of the site, how older architects used to do it, and they've used that blueprint to directly inform the design of their proposal.

I realise all architects look at the historical context in their applications, but the majority of them use this as a tick-boxing exercise, rather than let the findings of this study directly inform the proposal. Tim Groom are just good architects, plain and simple. The reason they're good architects is because they take cues from older styles.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Historically yes however, since then those buildings have gone so there is nothing to compare against. The building will not be lining with much else of similar character. We cant live in the past. We HAVE to live in the present and set a precedent for the future. How we go about that is up to the architect/developer. Now I like Tim Groom, Ollier Smuthwaite and Buttress because of their styles. They are simple, clean and no fuss. But they are repeating styles of older times with a modern twist. In essence their design are 'safe'. However, I also appreciate and love SimpsonHaugh, Glenn Howells, Mecanoo, Feilden Clegg Bradley etc because they push the boundaries and create unique buildings.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we knew about McCauls as they own a building on Laystall Street. Beech is also promising as their Thompson Street proposal is stunning and similar to Tim Groom style.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're missing my point and making this out to be something more than it is. I'm not suggesting the warehouse will be staying. I even think I mentioned it would be demolished. I'm talking about the plot. I said we knew McCauls already owned the building on Laystall Street which they do. The whole building isn't just the frontage but includes the warehouse which will be knocked down/separated from the building fronting Laystall St. Basically the Laystall plot isn't just what you see on Laystall St. It goes further back.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Building control app gone in to commence construction on this :banana:

Great to see all of Tim Grooms proposals come to fruition.

IN/19/00208 | Proposed erection of 7 to 8 storey building to provide 41 apartments with landscaping and other works (including any associated drainage works and modifications to services etc) | 57 - 59 Ducie Street Manchester M1 2JQ

1 - 20 of 29 Posts