SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through my old scrapbooks of pictures I had, and I happened to have a few old ones of London and these were taken 13 1/2 years ago if you can believe it. My parents took these for me, because London, back in my young years, was my BIG city back then, times have changed, and so has London. I even have a couple of postcards as well. I scanned all of these.

The City Centre (notice different logos on the towers)

The Hilton was a RADISSON back in tha day. This hotel changed names four times, I think in the course of 25-30 years.

The Delta London Armouries was the Sheraton Armouries back then...

and folks, you're gonna get to see what One London Place looked like when it was under construction then!...

Talbot Centre

Looking from Dufferin Corporate Centre, when it was just built! You can see the dirt

Xerox Building on Richmond Street...

and this was London's OLD Via Rail Station/CN Depot Building, man was it HIDEOUS! Since then, it has been demolished and replaced with its current VIA station

and here's a couple of postcards for ya!

This one is from c. 1995, this is a brilliant shot of London's skyline from the east

and I like this one, Wellington/King near Galleria looking up at the City Centre in the early evening

man, a lot has changed since then, I'm almost glad I didn't take any pictures of how bad downtown London might have been back then, if it was bad. :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
when did the sign change from northern life to canada trust in the first picture

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it was in the mid-1980s when the signs on the City Centre building changed from Northern Life to Canada Trust, because the earliest I saw the Canada Trust was, I believe, in 1987.

·
Former Toronto *********
912 Posts
Wow, awesome pictures Jaybird...the skyline looked so different with the different signage...and the Delta Armouries looks like a completely different building before the renovations. And the picture of OLP rising and without its glass is so very very cool. If you have any more old pics, please post them.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Neat to see how the city has changed.
I've asked this question before but maybe someone has an answer..........are they ever going to do something with the huge lot on Richomd bewtween Queen & Dundas? Prime location it would be great to see something in there. Its like a gaping hole.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Neat to see how the city has changed.
I've asked this question before but maybe someone has an answer..........are they ever going to do something with the huge lot on Richomd bewtween Queen & Dundas? Prime location it would be great to see something in there. Its like a gaping hole.
It's just a parking lot with a Sammy's Souvlaki stand there right now. I haven't heard anything about it, but I use that parking lot all the time when I go to Laser Quest, downtown, Knights games, or anything like that for fun times there.

·
Registered
855 Posts
whats going on with that lot where the ridout was, its a wery good location for an apartment building. knowing london it wont be condos

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ssiguy2 nailed the city population right on the head, it's 355,000, BuffCity,

and 450,000 in the metro area, which includes Strathroy to the west and St. Thomas to the south. BTW, you're not the only one who compares London to Rochester, NY, btw. I did a vs. thread in the city vs. city which is probably long gone now, and both cities do have similarities, with the only difference being Rochester's metro has more than double London's population. Both have rivers running through their downtowns, have considerably modern-looking skylines, both have good hockey teams this year (in AHL and OHL), both have similar sized arenas, and there are plenty of fun things to do in both cities. Both cities also have good universities, (don't know about Rochester, but London does), and both are in prime locations. :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
lucky, i know there was talk of future development, but has anything been proposed?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.