Votes: 15 4.7%
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
3,849 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yeah I thought it was very good. I was very impressed by the show. Well done London. I say the buzz there is amazing at the moment.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,806 Posts
I've just downloaded the Album :D The Underworld scores were superb for the pleasant land to pandemonium/industrialisation segment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A few awesome moments, a lot of half baked moments, a few really shit moments.

Very average imo.

Less is more - half of it could have been cut, and the good bits dragged out, to have made an amazing opening ceremony.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Londres es una ciudad con MUCHO potencial y en general todo el Reino Unido. Yo creo que esta ceremonia no estuvo al nivel de Londres, creo que faltó algo. Sí estuvo entretenida e incluso divertida con Mr. Bean y la Reina Isabel saltando del helicóptero (haha). Pero después de algo tan impresionante como lo fue Beijín2008, sí es bastante difícil igual o superar algo así. Como sea, la ceremonia fue muy decente, felicidades. :eek:kay:

·
Just Relax
22,868 Posts
I thought it was really good. Great fun. The cauldron was superb and the industrial revolution section was stunning. Slightly chaotic at times and at others heart warming. A very British affair basically that made me feel proud. Great feedback from around the globe in the press this morning.

I just wish someone would put Paul McCartney down :lol:

·
Futurist
38,722 Posts
I just wish someone would put Paul McCartney down :lol:
I'm a huge Beatles fan, but I have to agree... he sounded awful.

Overall, I thought the ceremony was very mixed. Some great parts - such as the industrial revolution segment, the parachuting Queen, Rowan Atkinson, and the cauldron. The scene with the house, texting and dancers featured a great selection of British music.

However, other parts were just plain weird/stupid, and seemed rather messy and uneven in pace. The Arctic Monkey's performance of "Come Together" was extremely average, and Paul McCartney sounded tired. The Queen herself looked rather bored and unhappy throughout! Also, I thought 4 hours was rather too long.

·
Barcelona lover
7,608 Posts
I love the cauldron, but where are they going to put it?:?

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
LONDON 2012
AP/JAE C. HONG​
.​
THE ONLY WEAK PART?
The young lover sequence, that started with the young boy
being led around by his Mother, his face in a thumb gadget!

I looked over at my 15 year old neice and she was asleep
during this spectacular show, the same gadget lighting her face.
Lost generation :eek:hno:

But I'm from a generation that saw the answer to my question
from 4 years ago: "How the hell will London respond to Beijing?"

And had it answered complete, and in full!

The overall event was strongly emotional, which was not the
case in Beijing, albeit spectacular in itself! Maybe because we
in the West respond better to our industrialized history than to
China's? Nevertheless, this was good!

The smokestacks and the livestock and the forging of the center
ring, sparking and lifting to join the others, was sublime!
The workers carrying away their past literally, was perfect!

The kids and their nightmares and the beds and the winged bikes
and Mr. Bean and the Queen? OO7 and the Queen?
(Beautiful city by air, London!)
The speedboat and the wonderful field of torches and the fireworks!

Did it make me forget about China? No.
But something tells me London saw Beijing sitting on the benchmark,
sat right down next to it - and Beijing saying, "Well fucking done!"

In Mandarin, of course!
.​
ESPN.GO.COM

·
Registered
958 Posts
The cauldron lighting was great but i think perhaps the kids should have built the cauldron with help of course during the parade.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Overall undoubtedly a resounding yes, very sad too see the great Ali looking so frail though, I felt like crying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought that the Industrial segment and the cauldron lighting/ending was fantastic - the rest, with a few exceptions, not so much. Aside from the 5 seconds of Tim Berners Lee, I thought that the social media segment was terrible and very forgettable. The NHS bit was alright, but a bit weird to include.

Basically we had the whole world by the balls with the intention to show them our finest literature and music, so of course the biggest emphasis is on Harry Potter, rap and trying to show how 'progressive' and diverse it all is while the track cuts out and changes every 4 seconds.

Would've been nice if the industrial bit was closer to the ending, and they could've touched on something medieval or the like, or dare I say even a passing mention of the Empire. So much great history missed for 20 minutes of pointless love story.

Still not a terrible opening by any means, but a solid OK after considering it all balanced out.

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
From outside Britain, the show may have looked eccentric and even confusing at times. “That’s what we do best,” one U.K. newspaper columnist explained this morning. But to the hometown crowd it was a triumph.
fron Canada CBC

1 - 20 of 177 Posts