SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
I don't usually agree minimum wage is good for the environment, but Cambodian's minimum wage is just way too low.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Sorn Davin improves with elite training in London

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index....n-improves-with-elite-training-in-london.html

Cambodia’s champion taekwondo fighter Sorn Davin has been making the most of her pre-Games training in London and looks set to be in top shape going into her Women’s Over-67kg event on August 11.

“It’s good chance for me to be here early,” she told the Post from London during a phone interview over the weekend. “I think I’ve improved a lot ahead of the competition.”

Sorn Davin’s program runs for five weeks, taking her from her arrival in England on June 14 through to when she enters the Olympic Village on July 22.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Judoka Mony ready to roll in London

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012071357386/Sport/judoka-mony-ready-to-roll-in-london.html

SEA Games silver-medal judoka Khom Rattanak Mony says he was as surprised as anyone to get a call-up from the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia to attend the London Games, but seems undaunted by the prospect of carrying a distinct lack of experience into the competition.

“Honestly, I wasn’t preparing for the Olympics, but due to the initiative of [NOCC secretary-seneral] Vath Chamroeun and [NOCC adviser] Gabriel Ken Gadaffi, I could get the wild card for joining the London Olympic Games,” the 29-year-old told the Post from his base in Brest, France.

On June 14, the International Olympic Committee granted a Tripartite Commission Invitation Place to the judoka, who goes by Mony, after the NOCC lodged an application.

Mony noted how new he was to international judo championships but said he hoped for a generous draw in the men’s under-60-kilogram event in London, which will be run on July 28.

“I don’t really know much about competitors in my category. If it is possible, I wish to avoid the strongest judokas. I don’t think I will be able to beat anyone, but I will do my best,” he said.

Mony, who grew up in Phnom Penh with father Lim Sokhom and mother Khom Rattanak Sieng, was introduced to judo by a classmate when he was 14 years old.

Having emigrated to Brest, he trains under esteemed French coaches Philippe Urvoy (5th Dan) and Claude Urvoy (9th Dan) at the Dojo Brestois, although he has not forgotten the tutelage of Cambodian coaches including national team coach Lach Vuthy, Nuth Hua, Chan Narenn and Chan Chian.

Lach Vuthy, together with the NOCC, took Mony to Jakarta for the 2011 SEA Games, where he won silver in the 50-55 kilogram men’s division.

This remains his only distinction in international competition.

Mony says he is looking forward to a welcome break after his performance in London, claiming he hasn’t had any time off since the beginning of this year because of judo, school and work commitments.

He names his sporting heroes as Japanese judo legends Yasuhiro Yamashita and Koga Tashihiko, who won gold medals at the 1984 and 1992 Olympics respectively.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012071257361/Sport/athletes-set-for-london-games.html

Kieng Samorn

Event: Men’s 800 metres Running
Date of Birth: 04/03/1983
Home town: Kien Svay district, Kandal province
Height: 1.70 metres
Weight: 63 kilograms
Coach: Phay Sok, Pen Vuthy
Years as an athlete: 12 (5 at national level)
School/College: Hun Sen Takhmao High School
Personal Best: 1 minute 53 seconds
World record: 1:41.01 (David Rudisha – KEN)
Confidence of beating PB in London: 70%

Beijing training notes: Used new exercise equipment. Ran at least 7-10 kilometres every morning. In training, set times of 23 seconds over 200m, 51 seconds over 400m and 2.47 minutes over 1km.

Thoughts on London: Looking forward to seeing the opening ceremony and international superstars of sport at the Games. Want to check out tourist sites and entertainment places.

Message to Cambodian sports fans:
“I’m delighted to fly the flag for Cambodia. I would like Cambodian people to help raise the profile of sport here.
“Exercise from sport is the medicine which can help your body and health and make you strong and smart. It can help you stop taking drugs, smoking cigarettes and relive stress.”

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Chan Seyha

Event: Women’s 200 metres Running
Date of Birth: 09/08/94
Home town: Ang Snuol district, Kandal province
Height: 1.67 metres
Weight: 60 kilograms
Coach: Chey Kimsan, Pen Vuthy
Years as an athlete: 3
School/College: Samthomuk High School. Human Resources University
Personal Best: 26.34 seconds
World record: 21.34 seconds (Florence Griffith-Joyner – USA)
Confidence of beating PB in London: 70%

Beijing training notes: Training helped with fitness, building muscle and getting faster. There were changes every day to the training program. Ran distances of 50m, 100m and 200m numerous times, up to eight times each per day.

Thoughts on London: Surprised to be going to the Olympics. Looking forward to meeting former competitors and seeing sports stars as seen on television. Happy to be visiting such a modern and developed country such as England.

“I wish all fans can help push us to do well, not only in London but also in future events.”

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Hem Thon Vitiny

Event: Women’s 50m Freestyle Swimming
Date of Birth: 07/10/93
Home town: Makara 7 district, Phnom Penh
Height: 1.63 metres
Weight: 52 kilograms
Coach: Hem Kiri
Years as an athlete: 11
School/College: Baktouk High School, Phnom Penh International University
Personal Best: 30.55 seconds – Set at Rome World Championships in 2009
World record: 23.73 seconds (Britta Steffen – GER)
Confidence of beating PB in London: 80%

Beijing training notes: Chinese coaches had lots more training programs than Cambodia. Worked really hard and swam more than 10 kilometres for five to six hours per day. Helped get accustomed to the high quality conditions at the Olympics.

Thoughts on London: First time in London. Looking forward to seeing the Swimming stadium and Big Ben.

“I’m so happy to represent Cambodia. I will try so hard to get the best time.
“I encourage all Cambodian athletes in their competition, even if they don’t expect to get a medal.”

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Hem Thon Ponleu

Event: Men’s 50m Freestyle Swimming
Date of Birth: 26/01/90
Home town: Dangkor district, Phnom Penh
Height: 1.75 metres
Weight: 61 kilograms
Coach: Hem Kiri
Years as an athlete: 7
School/College: Baktouk High School, now works as a sports teacher
Personal Best: 27.22 seconds – set at Shanghai competition in 2010
World record: 20.91 (Cesar Cielo – BRA)
Confidence of beating PB in London: 60-70%
Beijing training notes: Chinese coach could not speak any English. Every day, swam at least 10 kilometres

Thoughts on London: Happy to be part of the Olympic team and the chance to see famous sports stars. Looking forward to meeting swimming friends from other regional nations. Wants to visit Big Ben.

“I’d like to ask all Cambodian sports fans to please support me as I race for our country.”

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Unlike the Chinese's ceremony, the time of the british opening ceremony isn't very well advertised. Not sure if this is accuate.

http://www.london2012.com/spectators/ceremonies/opening-ceremony/

The name of the Olympic Opening Ceremony show will be ‘Isles of Wonder’ and the worldwide broadcast will commence at 9pm. The Ceremony will kick off with the sound of the largest harmonically tuned bell in Europe, produced by the Whitechapel Foundry, and the Stadium will be transformed into the British countryside for opening scene ‘Green and Pleasant’, which includes real farmyard animals. The Ceremony will also include a special sequence celebrating the best of British, featuring volunteer performers from the NHS.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Also,

http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/2818/london-2012-olympics-opening-ceremony

It's difficult to spring a surprise in a city that's famed for its diversity and unfazed by anything weird and wonderful, but that's exactly what Danny Boyle has done with his plans for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. At 9pm on July 27, the gaze of the whole world will fall upon London's Olympic Stadium, where a cast of thousands will attempt to portray a snapshot of rural England as convincingly as anyone marooned in the middle of a sports stadium possibly can. Expect picnics, cricket and a smattering of bewildered livestock.

Those lucky enough to have a ticket for the event should arrive at the Olympic Park, which opens at 5pm, as early as possible in order to navigate the airport-style security checks and find their seat in time for the pre-show which begins at 8.12pm (20:12!). The nearest Tube stations are Stratford (Central and Jubilee lines, DLR and Overground) and Stratford International (DLR), but do bear in mind that these stations will be incredibly busy throughout the games, so expect to queue.

· In the br i g
2,242 Posts
Unlike the Chinese's ceremony, the time of the british opening ceremony isn't very well advertised. Not sure if this is accuate.

http://www.london2012.com/spectators/ceremonies/opening-ceremony/

The name of the Olympic Opening Ceremony show will be ‘Isles of Wonder’ and the worldwide broadcast will commence at 9pm. The Ceremony will kick off with the sound of the largest harmonically tuned bell in Europe, produced by the Whitechapel Foundry, and the Stadium will be transformed into the British countryside for opening scene ‘Green and Pleasant’, which includes real farmyard animals. The Ceremony will also include a special sequence celebrating the best of British, featuring volunteer performers from the NHS.
It is correct. It will be this Friday at 9 pm London time. Not sure about Asia, but it is well advertised in Europe and North America as far as I know.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Sorn Davin named as Cambodian flagbearer for Olympic Games Opening Ceremony
www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/201...earer-for-olympic-games-opening-ceremony.html

Taekwondo star Sorn Darvin will become Cambodia’s first female flag bearer at an Olympic Games when she leads the delegation at the opening ceremony of the London Games this Friday.

"Sorn Darvin will carry our flag. She was the most worthy candidate among all our athletes," said Vath Chamroeun, Secretary-General of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia.

The towering 25-year-old Phnom Penh native won a silver medal at the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia and has wealth of experience in international competitions.

Having landed in London on June 14 and attending a five-week training course under top British taekwondo coach David Cook, Davin is set to compete in the women’s over-67kg event on August 11.

The South Korean martial art of taekwondo is rapidly growing in popularity in Cambodia, and many view Sorn Davin as the Kingdom’s best chance of progressing past the first round for the first time in their history in any discipline.

After a defeat in the second round of the Asian Olympic Qualifiers in November last year, where she was fighting with an injury she sustained during the SEA Games, Davin will hope for better fortune on the mats of London's ExCel Center.

She received one of four Tripartite Commission Invitation places awarded by the International Olympic Committee to grant entry to the Olympics.

The honour of carrying the flag was previously given to famous male athletes such as renowned long distance runner Hem Bunting in Beijing four years ago. Hem Kiry, now national swimming coach and part of the London delegation, was flagbearer at the 2000 Sydney Games.

Davin was understandably delighted to be given the chance to lead out her colleagues at the opening ceremony held in the stunning new Olympic Stadium.

"It is a great honor for me and I am especially excited as it will be my first Olympics in my career. I am very proud of myself and feel honored to have been selected. I hope I will be able to give my best when the competition begins,” she said.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
from facebook

· Registered
89 Posts
Judoka Mony ready to roll in London

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012071357386/Sport/judoka-mony-ready-to-roll-in-london.html

SEA Games silver-medal judoka Khom Rattanak Mony says he was as surprised as anyone to get a call-up from the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia to attend the London Games, but seems undaunted by the prospect of carrying a distinct lack of experience into the competition.

“Honestly, I wasn’t preparing for the Olympics, but due to the initiative of [NOCC secretary-seneral] Vath Chamroeun and [NOCC adviser] Gabriel Ken Gadaffi, I could get the wild card for joining the London Olympic Games,” the 29-year-old told the Post from his base in Brest, France.

On June 14, the International Olympic Committee granted a Tripartite Commission Invitation Place to the judoka, who goes by Mony, after the NOCC lodged an application.

Mony noted how new he was to international judo championships but said he hoped for a generous draw in the men’s under-60-kilogram event in London, which will be run on July 28.

“I don’t really know much about competitors in my category. If it is possible, I wish to avoid the strongest judokas. I don’t think I will be able to beat anyone, but I will do my best,” he said.

Mony, who grew up in Phnom Penh with father Lim Sokhom and mother Khom Rattanak Sieng, was introduced to judo by a classmate when he was 14 years old.

Having emigrated to Brest, he trains under esteemed French coaches Philippe Urvoy (5th Dan) and Claude Urvoy (9th Dan) at the Dojo Brestois, although he has not forgotten the tutelage of Cambodian coaches including national team coach Lach Vuthy, Nuth Hua, Chan Narenn and Chan Chian.

Lach Vuthy, together with the NOCC, took Mony to Jakarta for the 2011 SEA Games, where he won silver in the 50-55 kilogram men’s division.

This remains his only distinction in international competition.

Mony says he is looking forward to a welcome break after his performance in London, claiming he hasn’t had any time off since the beginning of this year because of judo, school and work commitments.

He names his sporting heroes as Japanese judo legends Yasuhiro Yamashita and Koga Tashihiko, who won gold medals at the 1984 and 1992 Olympics respectively.
^^ http://www.khmerload.com/news/4073
So far we lose 1 !

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Cambodian swimmer out with personal best

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index....cambodian-swimmer-out-with-personal-best.html

Cambodian swimmer Hem Thon Ponleu broke his personal best in the men’s 50-metre freestyle heats yesterday morning at the Aquatic Centre of London’s Olympic Park.

Despite finishing last in his highly competitive eight-man race, Ponleu managed to shave nearly a quarter of a second off his best time to record 27.03 seconds.

· Home Energy Reactor
7,540 Posts
Good work, we probably need better trainer in the pool.

Cambodian doesn't seems to afraid of height, maybe we should train some people in diving.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.