SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo guys, I thought it would be ideal to have a thread for those of us going to the games.

Not sure if many people will have questions in relation to certain events you are going to but I have one to start...

For the Athletics we are recommended to arrive 2.5 hours before our session, I understand they say this is a 'guide' but how realistic is that?

I do not want to miss a second of the session so I will try to get there 2.5 hours before just incase.

The stadium opens 2 hours before the events start! what is everyone going to do for 2 flippin hours? I hope there are cheerleaders? :cheer:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If we get there early are we not allowed to mingle around in the Olympic Park?
Yep, I am 99.9% sure of that.

But when do we need to start heading for the stadium, is an hour before more realistic. Are the queues really going to be that bad?

I don't want to be waiting in the stadium for over an hour and I don't want to risk missing the first event which is Ennis running the 100m hurdles.

I guess I'll get there early-ish and gage what the queues are doing and then decide when to go in.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
I'll be going early just to sample the atmosphere in the park and then head into the stadium for the evenings Athletics session. Hopefully Ennis would be completing the final heptathlon event; 800m by winning the Gold.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be going early just to sample the atmosphere in the park and then head into the stadium for the evenings Athletics session. Hopefully Ennis would be completing the final heptathlon event; 800m by winning the Gold.
U have some good tickets there. Going to be a great moment.:cheers:

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
Don't be jealous of me with my Opening Ceremony ticket when you have a great Athletics ticket like that!

When I Collected my Opening Ceremony ticket I was given a Closing Ceremony booklet by mistake. It says that the park won't open till around 5pm and almost all of it closed off besides the Olympic stadium.

Anyone know what's going on Opening Ceremony day? What time will the park open and what will be closed of... if anything.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
Don't be jealous of me with my Opening Ceremony ticket when you have a great Athletics ticket like that!

When I Collected my Opening Ceremony ticket I was given a Closing Ceremony booklet by mistake. It says that the park won't open till around 5pm and almost all of it closed off besides the Olympic stadium.

Anyone know what's going on Opening Ceremony day? What time will the park open and what will be closed of... if anything.
I would've thought everything else would be closed off during the Opening Ceremony, just access to the Stadium only.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Athletics spectator guide it reads that there is no readmission to the stadium.

There are no toilets in the stadium are there? they are all outside.

I assume it is ok to go out for a dump or piss and go back into the stadium as the ticket gates are on the bridges?

correct?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing.....

If your travelling into London for an event you obviously have a travelcard for free travel within zones 1-9, I would expect that would mean if your coming in from a town/city outside London then you only need to pay for travel up to zone 9, once within zone 9 your travelcard applies.

For me Surbiton is the first stop in the zones so I could get a ticket up to Surbiton and then my travelcard would apply from there onwards into central London BUT trains generally do not stop at Surbiton that are heading for London Waterloo from my home town so if I was to show a ticket matey on the train my ticket saying Surbiton that wasn't actually stopping there would they still accept it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
SkyScraperRaper said:
Another thing.....

If your travelling into London for an event you obviously have a travelcard for free travel within zones 1-9, I would expect that would mean if your coming in from a town/city outside London then you only need to pay for travel up to zone 9, once within zone 9 your travelcard applies.

For me Surbiton is the first stop in the zones so I could get a ticket up to Surbiton and then my travelcard would apply from there onwards into central London BUT trains generally do not stop at Surbiton that are heading for London Waterloo from my home town so if I was to show a ticket matey on the train my ticket saying Surbiton that wasn't actually stopping there would they still accept it?
No it won't be valid.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it won't be valid.
So you changed you abusive message towards me and wrote a grown up one.

It's not like Surbiton is in a totally different direction. Surbiton is on the same line, so the train actually goes past Surbiton station it just doesn't stop there so I would not have thought it would be an issue to have a ticket up to that point and then the travelcard can take over.

It seems a bit silly to pay for the extra travel within zones 1-9 when you already have a travelcard which covers it, effectively you are paying twice for travelling within these zones.

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
Lame, so no visiting the coke pavilion et al until Aug 11th.

Even worse... my plan was to mill about the park for a few hours before the event. Now I'll have to mill about London instead.

·
Registered
350 Posts
With reagrds to the Closing Ceremony, I got an email today with info on the park being open and at what times. I have an Orbit ticket too-

We are writing with details of your visit to the Olympic Park on 12 August.

When you arrive at the Olympic Park, please present your Orbit ticket for entry. You can arrive anytime from 7am.

The Olympic Park will close at 3pm on 12 August in preparation for the Closing Ceremony, so you must have left or be leaving the Olympic Park by then. We suggest you leave by Stratford Gate or Greenway Gate, as only these gates will reopen for the Closing Ceremony.

Victoria Gate will close for exit at 3pm – please bear this in mind if you’re using the cycle parking outside this gate. You can find further details of gate closures on the London 2012 website

You will be able to re-enter the Olympic Park from 5.30pm using your Closing Ceremony ticket. Although large areas of the Olympic Park will be closed for the Closing Ceremony, you will still have access to key facilities inside the Olympic Park and the Stadium. Please aim to be in your seat inside the Olympic Stadium by 7.30pm at the latest in time for the pre-show.

Your ticket will be checked when you arrive at the Olympic Stadium. If you have a ticket for bridge E, please use bridges A, B or C as you approach the Stadium. If you have a ticket for bridge D, please use bridge C. If you decide to leave either the Olympic Park or the Olympic Stadium, you won’t be allowed back in.

The Closing Ceremony is expected to finish at around 11.30pm. Please note that you will not be able to leave via Victoria Gate or Eton Manor Gate after the Ceremony.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another thing.....

I'd think your ticket would be valid once you crossed the boundary line regardless of if you stopped or not. I do that all the time with my Travelcard when going out of London. I show my ticket to the seller and inform them that I need a ticket from zone 9 onwards to wherever I am going but I never get off at Zone 9.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Depends on the nature of the train. Eg it's no good having a ticket for Watford on a Virgin train if that particular train isn't stopping at Watford. The same applies to virtually all non suburban services.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd think your ticket would be valid once you crossed the boundary line regardless of if you stopped or not. I do that all the time with my Travelcard when going out of London. I show my ticket to the seller and inform them that I need a ticket from zone 9 onwards to wherever I am going but I never get off at Zone 9.
Thanks.

Cheers Cheriah.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts