SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
will the city of london be this built up by 2030? what do you think?

Oh and as you can tell lots of buildings there are made up :)
Please dont flame its not that good cause it only took me bout 5min.

oh and could someone do a render of this so we can see what it would really look like.

i would do but i havent got a rendering program.

·
Futurist
38,407 Posts
Well, that's a long way off, but it's not that difficult to imagine what could happen.

The thing to remember is that the City covers a very small area, and is constrained by viewing corridors, heritage sites, etc... so I doubt we'll see any major expansion outwards.

Instead, the density around Tower 42 will continue to increase and be concentrated around that area. It's a pretty safe bet that most of the current midrises will be demolished by then, and those sites will be taken advantage of and replaced with much taller towers with bigger floorplates.

99 Bishopsgate, St Helens, the Exchange Tower, Angel Court and 54 Lombard will all go. It's inevitable I would say.

I think also, the City's influence will spread south, attracting big corporate firms around the Shard, and Southwark will continue to see major regeneration, with perhaps a few more towers around there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wjfox2002 said:
Well, that's a long way off, but it's not that difficult to imagine what could happen.

The thing to remember is that the City covers a very small area, and is constrained by viewing corridors, heritage sites, etc... so I doubt we'll see any major expansion outwards.

Instead, the density around Tower 42 will continue to increase and be "centred" around that area. It's a pretty safe bet that most of the current midrises will be demolished by then, and those sites will be taken advantage of and replaced with much taller towers with bigger floorplates.

99 Bishopsgate, St Helens, the Exchange Tower, Angel Court and 54 Lombard will all go. It's inevitable I would say.

I think also, the City's influence will spread south, attracting big corporate firms around the Shard, and Southwark will continue to see major regeneration, with perhaps a few more towers around there.

very good point but i wouldent like to see it get to close to St pauls or The tower of london it will ruin them having huge skyscrapers around them.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
I love that little drawing with all the spires reaching upwards from St Pauls to the modern futuristic skyscrapers. Reminds me of that old picture with all the spires of churches scraping the sky above everything else.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Top notch drawing. But i have a feeling that, by that time, it would be denser, and 3 or 4 more 200+ would bi in there :yes:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
London said:
Top notch drawing. But i have a feeling that, by that time, it would be denser, and 3 or 4 more 200+ would bi in there :yes:

im glad that you like it :D

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
wjfox2002 said:

Instead, the density around Tower 42 will continue to increase and be concentrated around that area. It's a pretty safe bet that most of the current midrises will be demolished by then, and those sites will be taken advantage of and replaced with much taller towers with bigger floorplates.

I think there's room for more tall buildings around the London Wall and Broadgate ends of the City too.

Also I would like it if the City kept some of it's mid-rises, they provide a step up to the taller towers. Exchange tower is getting what looks like a decent reclad, St. Helen's should definately be listed and 99 Bishopsgate is probably the City's best mid-rise, Angel Court can go though, it's a hideous building.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
new picture

Ok here is the news one with added buildings :) (wheres tower 42 competition)

NOTE: The stock exchange has been pulled down after a massive public protest about its uglyness, and has been moved into the 200m+ building to the right of the gherkin hehe :D

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
You've pretty much got every building proposed there and only a handful more - the handful could easily have been built post 2012, so I'd say it's more likely 2020 than 2030.

I'd say by then Canary Wharf would have squeezed every last available plot of land and have a serious problem on their hands, forcing tenants back to the City which would be much more flexible with regards to its boundaries. I'd say even long term than that Southwark Riverside would be a major node of offices and the cluster would stretch across the river.

The Pool of London would be the epicentre of the financial heart of London.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
London said:
Now thats more like it :)

thnx :)

imagine what canary wharf will look like!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yea. thats should be way more denser.

how's this for a laugh. This would be a nightmare. :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ wow that would be great!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
di Livio said:
I found a retro illustration of the City.
Surprisingly no skyscrapers

errr i said the year 2030 A.D not 30 A.D

lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts