SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Keep in mind the masterplan won't be submitted until the end of the year, and changes will more than likely be made.

Battersea Power Station set for 300m 'eco dome'

The new owners of Battersea Power Station today unveiled plans to build a 300 metre "eco-dome" next to the London landmark as part of a planned conversion of the entire site that will cost £4 billion and take 12 years to build.

Real Estate Opportunities (REO), the AIM-quoted owner of Battersea Power Station, is proposing that the complex will include new homes, hotel and offices.

REO also plans to use two of the landmark's famous four white chimneys, that have lain dormant for a quarter of a century, to help power the new riverside flats through an energy efficient electricity generator installed in the station's basement.

In the meantime, REO will spend £150 million on keeping what is Britain's largest brick built building from falling down over the next few years while it pushes its proposals through the planning system.

It is unlikely that the scheme, if formally approved, will be completed before 2020.
Rest at link

Some facts:
- Tower is currently planned to be 300m tall
- Construction starting in or around 2012
- Construction completed around 2018-2020
- The roofs of the office blocks will be turned into tropical gardens
- The scheme will be zero-carbon
- The cost will be £4bn ($7.8bn)
- The power station will include flats and a hotel

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I.e, the 300m tower will get cutback to some pointless 120m dumpy little turd or scrapped altogether.
Yes, the tower is going to come up against stiff opposition. however, the scheme will hopefully not be affected by the economy as it is not planned to start for another 4 years. However, the developers are looking to start on the power station earlier by the sounds of things, making it safe.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
just another pipe dream

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
just another pipe dream

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
Looks like a big project. Sorry but have to chuckle a little, comparing to the situation the shard has been in for god knows how long. :)

·
Futurist
38,373 Posts
More chance of Hell freezing over than this project being built. For those who don't know, London just got a new mayor who is anti-highrise, and his Chief Planning Advisor is even more anti-highrise.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
This looks horrible - wrong design and wrong location. It'd probably end up turning Londoners off tall buildings in the city. One redeeming feature is that it echos Battersea's heritage of power generation (from a coal plant) to a solar plant, but I hope it doesnt get built.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
^^ Dunno why, but I would've thought you'd liked this proposal? :dunno:

Any reasons for your opinion?

·
Имперск&
4,405 Posts
I would be angry that with this building they will destroy the classical view, but - it's just another fantasy proposal for London :D

·
Enjoy your freedom!
7,585 Posts
Hmmm... the first mind is a factory but it is a building. :eek:kay:

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Damn straight this deserves it's own thread. No updates on this in over a year.

Love the proposal, with the scraper mimicking or echoing the built form of the chimneys.

Only thing that may undo this project is a prolonged world economic slowdown.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts