Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, I took 100 photos of London yesterday, and because of that, I am going to present the city in 3 different parts, the BEST OF, Richmond Row/Woodfield, and Western Fairgrounds/Old East London. I took all these pictures on April 4, 2005, when I was in London, and I am presenting the "BEST" of London here...

Covent Garden Market

John Labatt Centre

Middlesex County Building

"Founding of London" Plaque

Museum London

1st Hussars Museum and Forks of the Thames Park

Thames River

Plaque, hey my town's FAMOUS! Mitchell is mentioned here!

Skyline from the city's nature/bike trails

Children's Museum (I went here a lot when I was a kid, was a neat museum)

Skyline from Wharncliffe Road

Labatt Memorial Park (this was a home to the Detroit farm team back in the 1980s and 1990s)

Drink Nightclub (one of London's best music venues), saw a Billy Talent show there

Harris Park from Riverside Drive

The ugliest building ever built... at least Lucky 24 thinks that... and so do I

Ridout Street Architecture

The famous Eldon House

Nice old houses on Talbot Street, near Talbot Centre

Modernness on Dufferin and Talbot, the building on the left was just completed (condos)

Cathedral Church

DAMN SCHOOL BUSES! The Grand Theatre

London Life Building

Around Victoria Park

Centennial Hall (London's old Performing Arts Center)

Nice homes near downtown

And folks, you're gonna get two great skyline shots...

coming soon... Richmond Row, Historic Woodfield, Western Fairgrounds and Old East London

·
Registered
855 Posts
see in the sixth picture down, at the splash park how the sign only says LOND. sweet eh?

i bet the city would love to know the wereabouts of those letters.....ha ha ha

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that too. Maybe I shouldn't have taken a picture of that, but ironically, it is a bit comical. I don't know if maybe someone's business advertisement needed the letters "O" and "N" on their business logo or sign or whatever and they got desperate enough to take those two letters overnight. Maybe they should just paint the letters on. Or have sensitive beams to detect if one has stolen them or not. :) They should replace them someway, somehow.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I LOVE the new LawCourt building. Imposing and thank-god, not made of glass.
I think it is a very handsome building. Imposing like a law building should be. Great archetectural piece at the fork of the Thames. Hell of a lot nicer than that ugly blue glass crap of LondonLife.

As far as the pics, thankyou they were great. Any OldSouth ones on the horizon?

·
Registered
855 Posts
you like the couthouse better than one london place?

the only thing wrong with it is that theres no street level retail and the base doesnt meet the sidewalk, its a nice tower though
the courthouse has no street level retail either, because its the courthouse, but only the three story base is nice, the tower sucks (in my opinion)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I really like the tower and I'm glad it doesn't have any streetlevel retail. Its not a regular office building but a law court built with public money and so shouldn't just look like any other building.
Government buildings in Ottawa, for example have streetfront stores but not the Supreme Court building. There are some places where streetfront stores are not appropriate just as you wouldn't put them at the base of a cityhall.There is a place for everything and stores on the street of a law court isn't one of them.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ssiguy2 said:
I LOVE the new LawCourt building. Imposing and thank-god, not made of glass.
I think it is a very handsome building. Imposing like a law building should be. Great archetectural piece at the fork of the Thames. Hell of a lot nicer than that ugly blue glass crap of LondonLife.

As far as the pics, thankyou they were great. Any OldSouth ones on the horizon?
mayhaps, I will take some London pics for Trillium Photography, that way, we'll have two sets of them. I mean if Hamilton can have three sets with three different photographers, why not have London with more than one set taken by different photographers, eh? :) I'll do whatever areas of the city I can... I have ways to get to London without a car, lol!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I am young, and have never been to London that I can rememer very well.

Does it feel larger than Kitchener? Generally speaking?

·
Registered
636 Posts
London at least only has one downtown where Kitchener is more like several town centres strung in a row. Hell, even Cambridge has three town centres. Also, London is a Canadian donut, Kitchener is an American one. There the burbs are best while London is the other way around.

·
Registered
855 Posts
london is definatley more of a city, it is very centered around downtown, and most dense development is focused in the core, while the sprawl circles around the city very evenly. i think it feels bigger because of that. there is no long continuous built up area that is made up of sperate centers with sprawl attaching them. in the future as the population increases and the downtown gets more built up, london has the potential to be a very nice big city, one of canadas best, and i just dont see this happening in kitchener.

i would imagine kitchener densifying in many small areas which will make for very nice urban pockets in a sea of sprawl but there will be no large urban center where the focus of development will be wich means in the long run kitchener and waterloo will fight over the things that would make the city great i.e. arenas, theaters, large scale developments, transit hubs and so on. this means that neither downtown will be a huge destination, but will stay more small-townish

just my thoughts, fell free to correct me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts