Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some Debates regarding the urban scape of London at Tate Modern over next few days, I was under the impression that they were all free but ticketed so it looks like that maybe all but one has sold out?;

Debate London: Is London a United City? Friday 22 June 2007
Debate London: The 2012 Wish List - What Do You Want For London?Saturday 23 June 2007
Debate London: How Can a Boom Town be Green? Sunday 24 June 2007
Debate London: Can London be Both Big and Beautiful? Monday 25 June 2007
Debate London: Generation London Monday 25 June 2007 *free*

Speakers include Saskia Sassen, architects Zaha Hadid, Rem Koolhaas and Richard Rogers, broadcaster Janet Street-Porter and Celine Condorelli.

This is part of the new exhibition in the turbine hall:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/globalcities/default.shtm

GLOBAL CITIES

Global Cities looks at changes in the social and built forms of ten large, dynamic, international cities: Cairo, Istanbul, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Shanghai and Tokyo. Drawing on data originally assembled for the 10th Venice Architecture Biennale, the exhibition features both visual art and architectural responses to explore these cities through five thematic lenses: speed, size, density, diversity and form

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tate exhibition is open now, had a brief walk around, some nice conceptual displays of the importance of cities and the importance of getting them right. There is an interesting panorama of a fantasy high-rise london that reminds me of Wills render!

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,343 Posts
Got a ticket for the debate tomorrow, sounds very interesting.

Had to be very careful putting it in my diary as 'Big and Beautiful @ 7.30' could so easily result in comical misunderstandings with hilarious consequences. ;)

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,343 Posts
Anyone get along to any of these?

I've just got back from tonights debate, very interesting it was too.

It was ably and wittily chaired by Paul Finch (Editor of Architectual Review and deputy chair of CABE) in the absence of Janet Street Porter who was trapped by the floods in her Pateley Bridge holiday home.
The panel was made up of Michael Synder (chair of City of London Policy and Resources Committee, Shumon Basar (RCA lecturer and writer), Tristran Hunt (Victorian historian, broadcaster and a bit of a **** IMO) and the architectual god that is Richard Rogers :master:

There was a lot of talk about the Thames Gateway scheme and the need to provide 800k new houses before 2015. Piers Gough from CZWG also chipped in from the sidelines along with Sarah Caventa from CABE who amusingly responded to Michael Snyders comments about City employees and architects having been involved in a campaign to improve reading standards amongst primary school pupils that certain architects (Broadway Malayan being mentioned) should do the profession a favour and take up teaching kids to read full time!

I forget the rest of the debate, half a bottle of red wine has dulled the memory somewhat but a very interesting evening despite the agony of having to sit on the turbine hall floor for 2 hours, even the cushions provided couldn't help the aching numbness of my cheeks!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
cool, wish i could've gone. any similar events coming up as i'll be in london thurs to saturday? bit pissed off that global cities display is finished.

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
got back from the big & beautiful debate too, I felt the woman from CABE got the nail on the head, saying she wanted to see more emotion in our arguments, replacing 'user friendly environments' as 'don't you mean neighbourhoods?'. And the masculine implied posturing such as wanting to see more density - sod density what you mean is 'intensity' et al.

the debate got a little off track on why everyone was middle class there, typically self loathing liberal elitism, and a good question - should we have the arrogance to build peoples futures for them (and dismiss their aspirations for suburban sprawl), or should we listen to them? My answer (as one of the few working class there) was yes, dammit! -but with a balance.

anyway loved the free pillows and the new exhibition, though be warned the [populations exhibited are out of date and only take in city proper stats or counting only registered permit holding residents. London is listed as 7.6 million whilst Cairo and Shanghai only 13 million (the last two should be about 18million)??

Also there was a big comparison of LA and London minorities, with LA looking massive. What it didnt point out was that Londons figures were taken from the notoriously undercounted (and out of date I may add) 2001 census for the city proper, whereas LA counted not just metro but by descent. Acc. to the Londons stats there are only 170,000 Indians in the city and 30,000 Chinese! argh,...:bash:

on that note, crap exhibition actually.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the exhibition was probably under-nurished for people into the urban theme already but I think it displayed quite well in an immediate way the urgency of where we are rushing, today right now. It felt like a highly concentrated Roger's Cities for a Small Planet, which is a great book and for that reason I would like everyone to come in contact with the exhibition. I feel that anyone visiting the exhibition would be swayed more towards the urban in issues such as brownfield site use, efficiency, environmental consideration, regeneration and living density and MAY start to see tall buildings in a new light!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
the global cities display was ok, as others have said, was a bit thin on the ground for those already interested in and well read on Urbanism. funnily enough the LA bit featured some photos of abandoned stores by Dean Sameshina, that i had seen last year at Peres Projects in LA.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some fascinating model spatial population densities of different cities

And a very engaging and troubling piece about the state of our current climate, a very brave piece for such an exhibtion i think

1 - 17 of 17 Posts