1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
South East Nine
39,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
London grand prix proposed by Bernie Ecclestone
The Guardian
28 June 2012

Formula One race would take place on three-mile circuit taking in some of capital's most famous landmarks

Bernie Ecclestone says he is prepared to pay more than £35m to stage the world's biggest motor racing grand prix in London, with the route taking in some of the capital's most famous landmarks, including Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square.

The billionaire Formula One chief executive, who has long harboured hopes of staging a race in London, said he was prepared to cover the costs for the event.

Continued in link
Would you mind F1 cars running through the streets of London?

·
South East Nine
39,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short:

1. Block off the necessary roads.

2. Construct the circuit (race barriers, temporary grandstands etc).

3. Host the Grand Prix weekend, and then dismantle the circuit.

The beginning of this video shows part of the preparation for the Singapore GP. London would be similar:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
London Grand Prix

Hey London forumers, I don't know if any of you have spotted this on your radar, but theres been a lot of talk of a London Grand Prix

Not sure how feasable such a race could be, especially in one of the locations mentioned, but I thought it deserves a good discussion!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...emo-Bernie-Ecclestone-unveil-street-race.html

Here's a map of a proposed track:

And a few mouth-watering renders:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
So is it a day race or a night race then?

Also, can't see the high security areas around parliament be used for F1.

Plus, this is a report from the Daily Mail so it's probably from the back end of a cow.

·
3,849 Posts
If they get a race on that circuit it would be astoninshing! That's proper London, all the famous sights are there and backdrops of the London Eye, Thames and Shard will make it all the better. I really hope there is a London Grand Prix, I've dreamt about F1 cars going down the Mall and along the river side for years - really hope this happens (and as a European GP rather than a British GP so we can keep Silverstone too).

If that's the layout, they need to change the Parliament complext to be straight rather than a few crappy slow turns around the square. It looks good for a street race apart from that very slow parliament section bottom left of the map above.

TV times would likely dictate a day race rather than a night race, likely 13:00 race start in line with the rest of the European races. And during the day you get to see the London landmarks in their best light.

·
Watch my Chops
6,046 Posts
This would be huge, Crowds would be phenomenal for such a race. Superb idea, hopefully London can get behind it.

·
3,849 Posts
Wait, will the cars e able to race through Admirality Arch?

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
19,222 Posts
I really can't see this. Firstly, I think Bernie has jumped on this Santander Promo at a convenient time in order to bury bad news (Westminster Council claim they've not even been approached).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18625773

Secondly, logistically this would be a nightmare. Preparations for Monaco begin at the end of April, almost a month before its GP. It's not just a matter of closing the roads for the four racing days. Resurfacing would need to be done, kurbs installed, barriers, grandstands and where on Earth do you build the pits, paddocks, press areas? So we're going to close down central London for a fornight before and a week after are we? Can't see it.

Then there's fitting it in the calendar. Britain is one of only a handful of countries that possibly deserves two GPs. But actually I don't think any country should have two. And since when has Ecclestone rewarded the UK for its F1 heritage; a few years ago it looked more than likely Silverstone would be pulled? The BRDC were hardballed into building some pretty expensive new upgrades at Silverstone; new pit and paddock complex, new circuit design, new grandstands etc. It has a contract for the next 15 years. Are we going to throw all that out of the window? I hope not. A Lonson GP is superficially attrative but it can't really hold a candle to a real circuit like Silverstone. I'd rather we left these kind of stunts to places like Sochi and Cape Town and concentrated on making Silverstone as good as it can be.

I don't think it can happen and if push came to shove, I probably wouldn't want it to happen either. And as I've said, I've more than a sneaking suspicion that all this noise is just a way of burying bad news anyway.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The skepticism of whether this will exist is completely valid, but just the idea makes you wanna throw all that out the window

Here's a run-through of the circuit:

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
19,222 Posts
Superficially attractive, as I said. Whether it'd be good from a sporting pov I don't know. It's certainly NOT a racing circuit and I don't know whether overtaking will easy. Sure, we'll get some pretty pictures and perhaps that'll attact new fans to the sport, but I don't think that ought to be the primary consideration when considering new venues.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Overtaking is barely viable at Monaco either but that doesn't stop it from being one of (if not the most) popular race on the calender. I think the plans look great and it's got a lot of aesthetic potential, although it may not produce the most exciting races - as with Monaco.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
19,222 Posts
Monaco has a history and tradition behind it. It is an historical sporting anomoly, in the same way the English, Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish having our own football teams is. And we love it for that. But it isn't in any way a blueprint for how racing should be! Did you watch it this year; five cars within two seconds of each other, and none of them could overtake! As a one-off Monaco is fine and offers the drivers a challenge, but a calendar filling up with Monoco-esque races - driven by aesthetic rather than sporting motivations - doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This would be truly amazing! So many stunning London sites along the way, the driver's won't be able to stay on the track, they will be looking at the scenery.

Why I can't see this happening:

1. Loads of pedestrian islands, traffic lights and other street furniture will need digging up and then putting back after the race.

2. Are the roads wide enough for an F1 race?

3. The cost.

4. The disruption to London would be massive.

5. Policing, security, safety.

6. Erecting thousands of seats, a pit lane etc etc. (In the map where is that they have chucked a pit lane? is there even any room there? are they going to have to drive into the park?

I understand there is going to be a race held in New York but I think this is out of the way of the busy areas and they have built a permanent pit lane there (I think). Monaco has a permanent pit lane and is no way as busy as London, it's roads are clear of street clutter so that this race can happen each year. London is a completely different matter.

Wish it could happen though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The best place for this idea is in a game, which, fortunately, has been done a few times now already.

In a lesser city, such an event would be the highlight of the year. London in the summer has so much going on as it is, the lengthy preparations and disruption wouldn't be tolerated, I don't think. It would just get in the way of the other stuff.

I think Bernie Ecclestone should save his money, and perhaps buy a new pair of specs instead.

·
3,849 Posts
There was an Australian company who, last week, came up with a wierd figure of 8 track that went around the Olympic Park as an idea of a legacy event to be held there: If a London GP is ever going to happen, the Olympic Park is the best place to hold it. If the transport can take the Olympics it can handle a GP weekend in Stratford - and it would cause so much less disruption there than around the West End!

And there was a Santander event with Mclaren held recently, where celebs, as well as Hamilton and Button drove virtual F1 cars round the night track in the opening post; past Parliament, The Mall ect.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts