SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
122,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
I absolutely adore some of those buildings, especially the ones that are like, all white all over with really intricate and delicate architectural features. This beautiful building is my favourite.

·
/>>}WweX:AS<
177 Posts
Wow, I wish they built stuff like this now .. ... the thing I love about this british style of architecture is that throughout the different styles the window panes are all split in exactly the same way! usually 3 panes high and two panes wide such attention to detail, its very beautiful.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
love the architecture but people share common walls, im thinking the walls are thick, for noise and so on.
I would imagine that the walls are pretty thick, as is the case with most British buildings built pre-war.

I imagine that new-worlders like yourself find it very odd that such wealthy people are living in glorified row-houses(!), but in many of London's exclusive neighbourhoods, it's all about the location and if the property is particurly beautiful, like the places shown here, then that only hikes the price up further.

One thing I will say though, is that outside of our big cities, many of the middle classes do in fact live in big detached houses, not so different to those found down-under, like these ones here:

Most British people would much rather live in a big house in leafy suburbia than in central London, but despite these two properties being much larger, they are still worth a lot less than these properties in Mayfair.

Which would I choose?................I wouldn't mind having one of each!

·
Trainee Apprentice MOD
7,884 Posts
Snowyboy of all the houses you could have shown you show an awful and rather small uninspired detached home like the one in your 2nd pic! Of all the great homes you could have posted!

And by the way many of those row houses may look small, but are often bloody huge! The ones not split up into smaller tenements can be huge! I know I've been in some.

I'm looking for a flatshare at the moment and I would eat my trousers to live there.

·
Trainee Apprentice MOD
7,884 Posts
Wouldn't you now, lol. They aren't ancient no. I'd say 18th and 19th century townhouses could be classed as sufficiently old enough to lend them a lot of historical resonance wouldn't you?I'm not having a go, i'm just making a point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts