SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to make it conform to Newstairs' proposal, change the title obviously if it isn't fully compatible.

Lord’s takes on massive facelift with £200 million masterplan
Ivo Tennant

Lord’s, the most famous cricket ground in the world, is to be radically redeveloped over the next ten years at a cost of more than £200 million. The proposed masterplan will extend to the replacement of five stands. A list of internationally renowned architects is being drawn up this week to submit plans for buildings that will complete a transformation of the venue, apart from the listed Victorian pavilion.

The initial estimated sum for the venture, which has been devised to take in retractable floodlights and possibly a hotel, a new academy that might be sited where the grounds-man’s house stands at present, an underground real tennis court and the repositioning of the museum, was £100 million.

That has had to be revised on account of plans to rebuild the Allen and Warner Stands, sited either side of the pavilion and constructed in 1935 and 1958 respectively; the Tavern Stand in front of St John’s Wood Road, constructed in 1967, and the Compton and Edrich Stands at the Nursery End, built only 17 years ago.

Building on this scale has been attempted only in piecemeal stages in the past. Each stand would take 18 months to construct, the plan being that only one of the five would be out of bounds during the season. The capacity of the ground would then increase by about 10,000 to 38,500, still less than some foremost Test venues in the world but which would provide considerable additional revenue.

MCC, which owns Lord’s, is reckoning on taking 12 months to obtain planning permission. Funding will come from the sale of 2,600 debentures in the Mound Stand and Grandstand - 1,000 remain at a cost of between £8,000 and £12,000 for a seat for eight years - as well as from the expected building of apartments inside Wellington Road, overlooking the Nursery End. Knight Frank, the estate agent, sells such prime residential space in St John’s Wood for sums in excess of £2,000 per square foot. Negotiations are continuing with RLP, a firm of property developers that has acquired this strip of land from Network Rail. “We want to come to an agreement with them,” David Batts, who is in charge of the redevelopment, said.

“We do not want to create a stadium. And we have to be mindful of how many people will be able to walk around the ground during a Test match to buy food and drink. The walkways can be congested already, so we have to work out how many boxes and bars we put into the stands to enable spectators to eat in the stands, which is particularly necessary for the short Twenty20 matches.

“Recently I visited the covered Staples Centre in Los Angeles, where ice hockey and basketball are played, and I want to send some of our staff there so as to help improve the standard of our fast-food catering.”

MCC’s plans come at a time when bids have to be declared for staging agreements for Test cricket from 2010, when work will commence on the stands, subject to planning permission from Westminster City Council and the backing of members, who will be called to a special general meeting.

MCC is particularly concerned that it does not lose its second, profitable Test match each summer now that it faces strong competition from revamped venues such as Sophia Gardens in Cardiff and the Rose Bowl in Southampton.
Link.
Times Online

·
Mancunian Member
7,124 Posts
Hopefully it won't be a patchwork of stands and will be relatively cohesive...

...but this is an English Cricket ground after all....we don't do cohesive!

·
PQS
3,587 Posts
Good news but I still dont think Lords should get to hold 2 tests each summer, not when it means one of the other renowned test venues misses out each year

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Good news but I still dont think Lords should get to hold 2 tests each summer, not when it means one of the other renowned test venues misses out each year
The problem is visiting test teams insist on playing there and as we often have two teams a year that is pretty much a given and they get good gates.

·
PQS
3,587 Posts
The problem is visiting test teams insist on playing there and as we often have two teams a year that is pretty much a given and they get good gates.
I know that but what if the only test at lords each year was part of the 4 (or 5 with the ashes) test series so teams playing us in the other 2 or 3 test series each year would get their chance to play at lords when they play us again in a 4 test series? if that makes sense. I dont think the visiting team should have any say where they play either, look at when we toured India we played allover the place.

·
Pompodian in Exile
1,791 Posts
Hopefully it won't be a patchwork of stands and will be relatively cohesive...

...but this is an English Cricket ground after all....we don't do cohesive!
I dissagree, i hope it remains a patchwork of different stands of various heights and styles otherwise it would be just another cricket ground this is Lords and the lack of cohesion is something that makes it special. Leave cohesion to the Rose bowl.

I also hoe that the MCC insists on really high quality design so that at least some of these stands can last. I wonder how the media center would be affected by higher stands around it it looks good on its own looming over the Edrich and Compton stands.

·
Tax avoider
23,944 Posts
I dissagree, i hope it remains a patchwork of different stands of various heights and styles otherwise it would be just another cricket ground this is Lords and the lack of cohesion is something that makes it special. Leave cohesion to the Rose bowl.

I also hoe that the MCC insists on really high quality design so that at least some of these stands can last. I wonder how the media center would be affected by higher stands around it it looks good on its own looming over the Edrich and Compton stands.
The MCC is insisting on a few things. From the BBC report:

# No reduction in the playing area.

# It must remain as a cricket ground and must not feel like a stadium.

# Plans must fit in with the architecture already in place at Lord's.

# The nursery area must remain in place.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Herzog & de Meuron among architects in running for Lord's cricket ground masterplan

4 March, 2008

Herzog & de Meuron and HOK Sport are among the practices bidding to draw up a £200 million masterplan for Lord’s cricket ground.

Operator Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) is working with the Architecture Foundation to draw up a shortlist for the work at the famous sporting ground in north London which already features buildings by Future Systems and Grimshaw. The aim is to increase seating capacity from 28,000 to 40,000.

David Batts, project director at the MCC, said the winner would prepare a development plan for an “overall approach to the design and layout of the entire site”.

The Architecture Foundation has refused to reveal the longlist for the job, but a spokesman said: “[Herzog & de Meuron and HOK Sport] have done larger scale sports projects — it would be foolish not to consider them.

“It’s a high profile project for us. It’s going to be quite a long process.”

With the masterplanner yet to be announced, Future Systems, which designed Lord’s media centre, has expressed interest in designing further buildings on the ground.

Principal Amanda Levete said: “I think [the masterplan proposal] is fantastically exciting and ambitious, and we’d be very keen to do something else if [the MCC] approached us to do a building later on.

“Having an eclectic mix of architecture at Lord’s has become very characteristic of the ground, but it needs a very strong masterplan so that it’s not an architectural zoo.”

The shortlist and jury are expected to be revealed in the next few weeks, with the winner to be announced in April or May.

n Warwickshire Cricket Club has voted in favour of borrowing up to £20 million to fund a Broadway Malyan-designed redevelopment at its Edgbaston ground.

The scheme will increase the ground’s capacity by 4,000, to 25,000. Residential and commercial development will be included on land owned by the club nearby.

Development director Phil Macdonald said: “Many grounds are investing significant sums in their stadiums. We need to maintain our status as the best ground outside London.”

·
Registered
770 Posts
its certainly an interesting design, too many angles for my personal liking but lets wait and see until its built, if the quality of materials are high enough it may look amazing

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Ewwww! That is absolutely horrible. I thought Alsop's proposed bat wing was bad enough, but that just looks like a big green turd. :(
I'm not sure what the details of the design are but the green on the building could be planting and I think that it could look quiet interesting.
If its between Herzog and HOK, Herzog should win, Hok will just do something tame and boring like most of the things they do.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
I'm not sure what the details of the design are but the green on the building could be planting and I think that it could look quiet interesting.
If its between Herzog and HOK, Herzog should win, Hok will just do something tame and boring like most of the things they do.
Never mind boring and tame, they need to look at the main stand at Trent Bridge or something jassy like at the Oval for inspiration, but what they have proposed for Headingley looks like it should stay in the imagination of the architect.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Architects shortlisted for Lord's

Five architectural firms have been shortlisted to develop a master plan for Lord's Cricket Ground.

The site, near Regent's Park in central London, is set for a £200m upgrade that will include increasing its capacity, a purpose-built museum and a hotel.

Marylebone Cricket Club, which owns the venue, described the shortlist as a "significant step" towards improving the grounds for future generations.

The winner is expected to be announced in early summer.

The five architectural firms are Building Design Partnership, David Chipperfield Architects, Dixon Jones, Herzog & de Meuron and Hopkins Architects.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7352559.stm

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hope its nothing like the Headingly one. This messy architecture is starting to do my head in, I just want them to come up with a classy, beautiful design. Maybe if firms concentrated spending money on frills and intricate touches like the victorian stuff instead of crazy shapes we'd have a lot more nice architecture around.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts