SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first thread ever, so please be kind :)
I've been to London this summer and I fell in love with the many markets this remarkable city boasts. Here is the first one, the delightful Borough Market, close to Southwark Cathedral in SE1.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Markets on Sunday
Sunday is THE day for markets in London. I suggest to everyone who's planning a visit to London to include this incredible Sunday morning tour through the East End and its exciting and very diverse markets.
You can start in Spitalfields, at the doorsteps of the City. The area has recently been revitalised and the 19th century Market building now hosts a lovely crafts and food market on Sunday. The place looks clean and the atmosphere is relaxed, almost like a village with the impressive Christ Church by Hawksmoor in the background. Quite a difference from the next markets we'll visit.
Spitalfields Market

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lovely photos!
You've really captured the vibrancy of the markets you've visited with their vibrant colours. Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures Sashwindow
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brick Lane Markets
Brick lane is home to a range of different markets on Sundays. Coming from pretty Spitalfields, you may be a bit confused by how different this fantastic street looks: as you probably know, it's the epicenter of the Bangladesh community and the street itself is full of curry houses and oriental supermarkets, not to mention the famous bilingual street names. However, recently it has become a rather cool place in London, with vintage shops and nice bars and restaurants.
The markets of this small street reflect all that: Brick Lane Market is a colourful street market, very crowded and multicultural, selling just about everything you can imagine (I spotted a lovely old ceiling fan :) ).
But in addition you can find the Sunday Upmarket, housed in the old Brewery, which is really not to miss: among the usual vintage clothes and the relaxed atmosphere there are stalls selling delicious foods from all over the world, tempting you to try them all (as you may have noticed, I'm quite obsessed with food ;) ).

·
Registered
25,805 Posts
Very cool thread :eek:kay:.

Everyone who visits London must try the markets, there's such lively mix of cultures, smells, colours, it's London's diversity in its zenith.

Thanks for showing us one of the biggest parts of London culture. I'm starving now :D.

:cheers1:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Columbia Road Flower Market
This one is definitely one of my favourites: to get to Columbia Road, a narrow, well-preserved victorian street in eastern London, you have to walk from the end of Brick Lane through quite rundown areas. But when you finally reach the street, everything changes: it feels like almost like an oasis. The market is very interesting and crowded, too, and one thing I noticed was that, unlike the others markets I visited the same day, the sellers were actually screaming! They all said "lavender for a fiver!" :)
Along the street there are also some nice cafès and shops, another reason not to miss this flower market.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts