SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
25,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^How so?

I think it's a fine building, nothing groundbreaking of course, but I like how it blends and merges with City Point.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Haha...

The best reason to celebrate this being built is the fact that those selfish rich bastards living at the Barbican opposed it....for being 'overbearing and ugly'....

Lol...the irony.

·
Urban Designer
1,150 Posts
I think 'glitziness' is the the equally expensive opposite of a simple and high quality style.

Glitz for me, is too much decoration and 'bling' - over designed exterior, a 'clever' silhouette etc.

I dont think this building is particularly glitzy. Its quite simple and inst trying to make a garish mark on the skyline. So I think it's appropriate enough, for London, in that sense at least.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Boxy buildings are usually uninspiring. However, this building's cleverly organized facade makes it look interesting.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like the design of this building and it shows the barbican towers up for the ugly eyesores that they are!!!!!

·
Registered
25,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one is apparently under consctruction:cheers:

Second Heron tower rises from the City

10 March, 2010

By Elizabeth Hopkirk

Work has started on The Heron, David Walker and RHWL Architects’ residential tower in the City of London.

The 284-apartment scheme is being billed as the first major residential development in the Square Mile for 30 years. Although 350,000 people work in the City there are currently only 8,000 residents.

It is due to be finished in 2013 though apartments go on sale this month.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=426&storycode=3159607&channel=426&c=1

originally posted by Newcastle Guy.

·
Registered
25,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Heron Begins Construction

Published on 11-03-2010 by Skyscrapernews.com

Continuing the sudden construction glut in London as developers look to cash in on the ups and downs of the property cycle is the Heron, a David Walker designed residential tower to stand next to the Barbican on the former Milton Court site.

With groundwork having been completed by Ardmore, the 111.98 metre tall tower is now beginning construction. This will see not only the residential glass-slab block built but also at its base the new building to accommodate the Guildhall School of Music and Drama complete with teaching facilities and performance space.

The one thing this building and its 295 apartments don't need to be is affordable - its location and a general shortage of housing within the City of London practically guarantees it will be snapped by bankers with huge salaries and prove hugely popular. Given the location and internal specification plus near unrivalled views, the penthouses should sell for prices north of ten million pounds.

Heron have been betting big on property with a combination of residential, office and hotel-lead projects giving them a well balanced development pipeline. With Heron Tower under construction and near its maximum height, and a Four Seasons Hotel that will be 149 metres having seen a planning application finally submitted although this time round the development is a joint venture between them and Berkeley Homes.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2484

1 - 20 of 167 Posts