Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decision based, on London winning the Olympic Bid - Tallest one is residential, 2nd one is Hotel.

If these are built, at the moment there will be over 50 150m+ towers in London by 2012, and we still have another 5 solid years of proposals to go :cheers:

·
Registered
24,340 Posts
mtb_nz said:
why do they want to put all those towers in London? I think London is awesome without them :)
Because there's demand for them.

And we've run out of space to build outwards, so upwards is the only option.

But we have plenty of rules and guidelines making sure we only get the best architecture and they are proposed in 'sightlines' of our famous histroical monuments.

London, always keeping up with the times.

·
Registered
24,340 Posts
mtb_nz said:
I hope London doesn't get any crappy ones being built in a hurry
They won't, each one has to pass through a strict set of guidelines that can take years. Anything shoddy won't be let through. This isn't Dubai, afterall.

These aren't relying on the Olympic bid - they've been proposed as the landmark for Stratford City which is an entirely new residential and commercial centre in the East end of London around the Stratford international Channel Tunnel rail link station.

Even if London isn't awarded 2012 they'll get built. Maybe not in this form but something similar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry Citrus but your post is entirely false... that is merely an indicative render, and the heights are made up. Stratford has an outline consent in place with a maximum height of around 150/160m... there will be towers, but not at that height and not with those designs. You're also a few years late with the news... sorry!

Your figure of 50 over 150m is also complete tosh I'm afraid... there are unlikely to be anywhere near that many.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Britannia said:
Sorry Citrus but your post is entirely false... that is merely an indicative render, and the heights are made up. Stratford has an outline consent in place with a maximum height of around 150/160m... there will be towers, but not at that height and not with those designs. You're also a few years late with the news... sorry!

Your figure of 50 over 150m is also complete tosh I'm afraid... there are unlikely to be anywhere near that many.
Sorry Brittania but before you go of in a tiff this has been edited today thats why I posted it ...

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=2399

Secondly, i understand your point about 50 - 150m+ but Infact ist quite realistic, London already has 10 Built with another 9 Approved and due to start Construction and 12 Proposed ...

Not to mention this is early 2005, there is probably a time span of roughly between 4-5 years for 19 other proposals to be approved in time for constrcution to start and end before 2012.

Now even you ahve to be realistic about this especially considering the number of proposals in the first 5 months of 2005 alone.

·
Administrator
35,227 Posts
yes, i realised id selected proposed instead of vision, damn drop down menus. whoops, had too many people email me about that - the rule should be never add anything late at night before you go to bed.
heights for these designs are right (the document here clearly says their heights for the illustration up), but as its said they are indicative designs. i will edit whats down though so people are quite clear what they are about so people dont get all excited taking it out of context. that the news story on it from early 2003 hasnt been copied to the new site yet which doesnt help. i shouldnt assume that everyone knows what i know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It wasn't a tiff Citrus, just pointing out inaccuracies, which are obviously gothic's fault anyway! :p

Re the numbers, 50 is the very very very optimistic top end of what could potentially happen. I do not for one second believe London will get that many towers... 20 would be a good achievement (and I'm more than aware of the pipeline for 2005... they will not all get built).

Gothic - they can't be part of Stratford City with those heights because there is a height limit lower than 168m. Maybe they are AOD heights?

·
Administrator
35,227 Posts
good point. maybe they are AOD heights. it doesnt say, it just gives those heights though. when was the height limit introduced? was the height limit there before the masterplan was drawn up? if thats the case then i guess they would be aod.

as for the number of 150m+ towers, 20 would be realistic, id say up to 30.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The limit is part of the outline consent for Stratford City, which is now approved. RRP normally quote heights AOD.

·
Premium Member
38,005 Posts
wow..."Another" proposal for London!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts