SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
20,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More details are expected to be announced on Monday, however, some of the press in the UK are already reporting that the new stadium will have a capacity of 35,000. It's also been reported that the stadium will feature a retractable roof and seating, so London could be gettin' its own version of Arena 92. Can't wait to see this. :)

From The Times:

The proposed stadium is understood to be in White City, near Loftus Road in West London, and will have a retractable roof and seating, allowing it to be used for concerts and other indoor events, The Times has learnt.
QPR said it would put the brand “on a global scale” and they believe that the extra income generated from the 35,000 capacity — compared with 18,360 at their present site — together with sponsorship from a naming-rights deal and improved corporate facilities will help the club to maintain their status in the Barclays Premier League.
The ability to turn the stadium into an indoor arena means that they will be able to compete with the O2, in southeast London, to hold concerts and exhibitions to generate further revenue. Loftus Road is expected to be sold off for redevelopment into housing, although there may be some restrictions on the site that limit its value.
Tony Fernandes, the QPR chairman, has already announced plans to move to a state-of-the-art training ground next summer and has now turned attention to the new stadium, likely to cost about £180 million.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This must be on the soon to be vacant BBC television centre complex which in turn had taken over the old White City stadium. The TV centre might be a listed building.

·
20,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This must be on the soon to be vacant BBC television centre complex which in turn had taken over the old White City stadium. The TV centre might be a listed building.
The central ring and Studio 1 are indeed listed. BBC is looking for £300million for the site, though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Surprised it would only be 35,000 i thought tony fernandes wanted more like 40-45 k, like the sound of the idea of the fact it has a roof though, and as a concert venue should be amazing, i would imagine boxing, tennis, even things like basketball should mean this would get used pretty frequently

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
retractable roof?

but i 'ever' thought that london & england in general didn't need this type of roof?

"because football doesn't need it ..." :blahblah:

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
retractable roof?

but i 'ever' thought that london & england in general didn't need this type of roof?

"because football doesn't need it ..." :blahblah:
Did you read the bit where its going to be an Arena for concerts and events??

I very much it'll ever be closed for a football match. If the weather is to extreme matches are cancelled due to public safety concerns on getting to the game anyway so whatever state the pitch is in become irrelevant so a roof doesn't matter.

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
i don' t care! Lille has a roof too and i repeated several times it was good for concerts and football by winter snowing conditions.

your friends said that it was useless.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
i don' t care! Lille has a roof too and i repeated several times it was good for concerts and football by winter snowing conditions.

My friends said it was useless? :nuts: No idea who you're talking about but it's their oppinion.

Anyway. Lille's stadium roof was designed for maximising footballing purposes. QPR's is to create an Arena for events to compete with the O2 arena.

Bit different.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts

Stop trolling, Axel. There's a good lad.

Since your memory seems to be playing tricks on you, you ought to be reminded that no English poster mentioned anything about retractable roofs until you started posting on various English stadium threads and insisting that all new stadia should have them - just like Lille (yawn).

No one ever said that retractable roofs are "useless". We merely responded to your persistent trolling on the matter by saying that you are very welcome to your retractable roof but we neither wanted not needed one for our football stadiums. We prefer our football to be played in the elements sun, rain, wind, snow, whatever. If QPR have decided that they do want a retractable roof, good for them. It's their decision. But it's not the choice that other clubs have made.

Why do you find that so hard to accept rather than tediously starting the same old argument over and over again?

Leave it.

·
20,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would be fitting if the location for the new stadium was the BBC's White City, especially given the history of that site:

·
Registered
708 Posts
just Wikipedia searched the white city stadium, used to hold 93,000 but when it got demolished the BBC built buildings there, if the BBC aren't there any more would be perfect place for a stadium/Arena plus QPR used to play there so its not like they are like leaving there roots.

does anyone know, i havent been there since i was like 6, how large space wise Loftus road is, mean how much money would QPR be looking to make selling it off, its in west london so i would imagine a sizeable amount

·
Registered
285 Posts
just Wikipedia searched the white city stadium, used to hold 93,000 but when it got demolished the BBC built buildings there, if the BBC aren't there any more would be perfect place for a stadium/Arena plus QPR used to play there so its not like they are like leaving there roots.

does anyone know, i havent been there since i was like 6, how large space wise Loftus road is, mean how much money would QPR be looking to make selling it off, its in west london so i would imagine a sizeable amount

it's not a huge site...but i dont think that would matter,its the area around it that will determine how much money will be raised.Sitting opposite the White City estate doesnt help,plus,the BBC moving out of the area bit by bit.On the plus side,excellent transport links,Westfield,and the transport hub planned for Old oak Common which is just up the road.The whole area is up and coming

As a QPR fan,i can't wait to see this built.Besides the BBC site,the other area mentioned is the old Unigate dairy,just opposite the White City building

·
Registered
12,655 Posts

Loftus Road is tiny, for a football stadium. Very compact. Very little, too, by way of extra space for car parks etc - as you can see:

Furthermore, although Shepherds Bush is a good area (I live there, after all!), Loftus Road stadium is immediately adjacent to the White City Estate (to the right of the pic) - which has a very poor rep. So property isn't as valuable as you might otherwise expect.

·
20,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Can a mod please change the capacity in the title to 45,000. Thanks.

Latest from the owner of QPR:

QPR fans. We are not ready to announce stadium. But making good progress.

Will not be a bowl. Will keep the atmosphere. Will be 45k capacity. Will be in West London. Narrowed down to 2 places.

I hope we can announce full details within the next 2 months. But as you can imagine this is not easy but tremendous work has been done.

Our major announcement today is at 3 o clock and what the shareholders of QPR believe is a statement of Intent for the future.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2170830/QPR-reveal-plans-new-45-000-stadium.html

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Wycombe Wasps would be better or moving into Brentford's new stadium if they are looking to come back into london, more around there limits for capacity
Aren't London Welsh envisaged to rent in Brentfords new ground? And two Rugby clubs sharing a ground with a football club seems to me rather impractical.

·
Barcelona lover
7,598 Posts
It sounds cool...any rendering?

1 - 20 of 291 Posts