Skyscraper City Forum banner
8301 - 8320 of 18609 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Looking at the 3rd and 4th pictures in post #8346 and seeing those 'green rolls'. Could it be artificial turf? it occurs to me why do the have to lay the turf before the Newham Run and the Anniversary Games? The rugby world cup doesn't start until October and that will give plenty of time for real turf to bed in.

Does there have to be a grass infield for athletics?

Btw I looked at the instructions that will be in the event day guide for the Morrison's Newham run (see https://grimages.blob.core.windows...._Newham_London_Run___Event_Day_Guide_2015.pdf) in the spectators section it suggests that only 3/4 of the stadium will be used for spectators.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sand; I wish we could find out what that's all about. It's not like it going to be a bowling green....or is it.....
Maybe they're expecting Greg Rutherford to jump big and need a suitably large sand pit? :lol:

In reply to Hammers54, I'm fairly certain it would need to be real grass. Not sure what the IAAF rules state, but I would imagine things like the Javelin, Shot and Hammer (if they're having this at the Anniversary Games?) would really damage artificial turf. Those green rolls have been there for a while, though, not sure what they are.

The one thing I'm wondering though (and you'll know about this more than me Hammers54) is whether the pitch will be a mix of artificial fibres and real grass? I always thought this was the case with professional football pitches. If so, do you know what the process is for laying this? Is it just included in the rolls of turf or...?

·
Registered
707 Posts
As RMB 2007 said it will be a Desso Grassmaster the same as currently at the Boleyn.

The following was taken from the IAAF requirements for this years' world championships:

"The infield shall be natural grass or covered in a synthetic surface approved by the IAAF."

Also looked at the Diamond league regulations for this year and it states there should at least one video screen (full video) and a warm up track "suitable all disciplines" Good luck with the last one!

·
Stuart Willard
1,054 Posts
Nice to see they are still moving the sand around!
I can only presume that an event they haven't yet informed us of is a remake of Lawrence of Arabia. I can view it now as Omar Sharif enters the stadium in that shimmering haze… on his mobility scooter.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Surely they'll be using the Terrance Macmillan stadium (Plaistow) or Mile End stadium as the warm up track.

There's no chance they have the time to seed a pitch now. Even laying turf straight will take a couple if weeks to bed in so they better get a move on.

Also, they haven't yet started work on the two long jump tracks they're supposed to be putting in adjacent to the west stand.

·
Stuart Willard
1,054 Posts
THE CAMERAS ARE BACK ONLINE! Lol
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Yes and surprise, surprise the sand is still looking like a choppy day in the channel. Do they think they have another year to stick some grass down?

This may sound a stupid question but why is it when we view a football match/pitch it doesn't look like its laid over something akin to the Sahara desert? I assumed it would be a more stable layer immediately beneath the grass though I understand the advantages for drainage below the immediate playing surface.

As for watching the rugby there with the track, I'm sure some of us going will let you all know after the event.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Surely they'll be using the Terrance Macmillan stadium (Plaistow) or Mile End stadium as the warm up track.

There's no chance they have the time to seed a pitch now. Even laying turf straight will take a couple if weeks to bed in so they better get a move on.

Also, they haven't yet started work on the two long jump tracks they're supposed to be putting in adjacent to the west stand.
I'd agree but the guidelines for the world champs anyway do say "within walking distance"

·
Stuart Willard
1,054 Posts
Warm Up

I'd agree but the guidelines for the world champs anyway do say "within walking distance"
Yes Im not clear how you can warm up and then be driven to the venue to perform, thats not really a proper warm up is it? Surely just asking for muscle pulls for many athletes unless there are facilities to do a basic warm up at the stadium before competition to loosen things and encourage flexibility.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes Im not clear how you can warm up and then be driven to the venue to perform, thats not really a proper warm up is it? Surely just asking for muscle pulls for many athletes unless there are facilities to do a basic warm up at the stadium before competition to loosen things and encourage flexibility.
The only 'get out' I can think of is, was there not an indoor 50/60 metre track under one of the stands, that could at a pinch, pass as a warm up area?

8301 - 8320 of 18609 Posts